Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
21 - 40 of 78 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Cranking RPM's is the speed the starter motor spins the engine, much less RPM's than the engine would run at idle speed, hence the oil pressure will be lower. -. No need to apologize 馃槂! Best, s.
some mechanics told me to go to gas to 1500/2000rpm once the engine is on, to force the oil pressure ! Next week I鈥檒l see for the oil pump.. maybe I have to change it.

best regards !

Premium Member
I was going to say I don't want to rehash something, but that's not true... and here goes...

So if the owner states the only codes he picks up when he runs a scan off the OBDII are P1523 and P1524.... both of which refer to a solenoid issue... if this is an issue with the oil pump, should that not be throwing different codes to reflect that issue? Once again, I'll state I'm obviously not a mechanic and learn something new everytime a post like this crops up. Would a bad or failing oil pump throw solenoid system malfunction codes?

Reactions: Brexit !

Registered
2018 Abarth 124 Spider, Mare Blue / Nero Abarth Leather, Brembo's, Record Monza, Automatic
Hi Aless124, I had a few moments here at work, so I researched the DTC's you encountered via Mitchell: DTC P1523 is "VVA Low Oil Pressure", DTC P1524 is "Low Oil Pressure - Camshaft Advance/Retard Disabled". According to Mitchell these are informative DTC's only. ECM disables the VVA (a.k.a. "The Brick") due to low oil pressure. So, based on this YES, install a oil pressure gauge at the oil pressure switch located next to the oil filter housing and check to see if the oil pump is in fact pumping. Also, check the switch to make sure it is functional (it is an on/off switch activated by pressure). Mitchell indicates it is a one wire switch that completes a ground, the wire going to it is Grey/Green according to Mitchell. Also, please note, as Ron stated above, correct oil is critical but so isn't the filter - please verify the filter is also correct for your car and undamaged. I will double check all that I have written here when I get home tonight, but as for now the oil pump is highly suspect. Good Luck Aless124. s.

Registered
2018 Abarth 124 Spider, Mare Blue / Nero Abarth Leather, Brembo's, Record Monza, Automatic
Hi Cal, I'm thinking the solenoids in question are the VVA solenoids (Brick internal)? I do not have my Fiat service info (OEM shop and electrical through Tech authority) in front of me, only Mitchell service info - the P1523 and P1524 shows up as informative DTC's only, related to low oil pressure.
Once I get home tonight I am going to check the factory info. This is intriguing to me, that you may be encountering something different, Best, s.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I was going to say I don't want to rehash something, but that's not true... and here goes...

So if the owner states the only codes he picks up when he runs a scan off the OBDII are P1523 and P1524.... both of which refer to a solenoid issue... if this is an issue with the oil pump, should that not be throwing different codes to reflect that issue? Once again, I'll state I'm obviously not a mechanic and learn something new everytime a post like this crops up. Would a bad or failing oil pump throw solenoid system malfunction codes?
well the problem is that I don鈥檛 understand where you find that P1523 and 1524 are solenoid issues, I鈥檝e searched and it tells me that it is low oil pressure issue.
I don鈥檛 know what to think 馃槀

Registered
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Hi Cal, I'm thinking the solenoids in question are the VVA solenoids (Brick internal)? I do not have my Fiat service info (OEM shop and electrical through Tech authority) in front of me, only Mitchell service info - the P1523 and P1524 shows up as informative DTC's only, related to low oil pressure. View attachment 87331 View attachment 87332 Once I get home tonight I am going to check the factory info. This is intriguing to me, that you may be encountering something different, Best, s.
thank you so much for what you are doing !! and yes those are everything about oil issue. But do you know what can cause this potential low oil pressure ?
thank you ! and yes I will add a gauge for sure, I just need to find out which one is better for the price.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Hi Cal, I'm thinking the solenoids in question are the VVA solenoids (Brick internal)? I do not have my Fiat service info (OEM shop and electrical through Tech authority) in front of me, only Mitchell service info - the P1523 and P1524 shows up as informative DTC's only, related to low oil pressure. View attachment 87331 View attachment 87332 Once I get home tonight I am going to check the factory info. This is intriguing to me, that you may be encountering something different, Best, s.
and btw, I鈥檓 using 5w40 from ENI, I live in south of France. is that the correct one ?

Registered
thank you so much for what you are doing !! and yes those are everything about oil issue. But do you know what can cause this potential low oil pressure ?
thank you ! and yes I will add a gauge for sure, I just need to find out which one is better for the price.
You are welcome, but this is what Ron, Cal, I and all the others are here for - we all learn something new every day too! First thing, Aless124, if you can get an adapter to fit to tee in the switch as well as the gauge, please do. Next, the possible reasons for low oil pressure are many. I will give you a few examples here, though. 1st, incorrect oil (I know you have stated you are using 5w-40 - correct - make sure it meets MS-12991, or is Amsoil of the correct type) and/or an incorrect or damaged oil filter! 2nd, damaged oil pump. 3rd, clogged/debris multi-air oil filter screen (the filter in the brick). 4th: faulty oil pressure switch near the filter (the one you want to tap into), or a faulty pressure sensor at the back of the brick . . . And worn bearings, other engine internal damage . . . On and on. But let's confirm you have a known good (OEM) oil filter, oil to OEM spec , and oil pressure (or lack thereof) before we panic. Like I said, I want to look at the factory service info too. I'll get back, promise! s.

Registered
and btw, I鈥檓 using 5w40 from ENI, I live in south of France. is that the correct one ?
I am not familiar with ENI, except that I believe the company merged with Agip? Compare the specs on the back of the bottle to those in your owners manual. You should be looking for standards such as "SN", Fiat specific #'s (I don't recall exactly what they are - something like 92 . . . ), MS-12991, ACEA C3 or ACEA A3/B3. I know She'll Helix Ultra or Selenia Abarth in 5w-40 is OK. Please see the thread "Change Oil In Abarth", you can also take a picture of the back of the bottle and I can try to help from there. Best, s.

Premium Member
2018 124 Spider Abarth Custom
From what I can tell, those codes are for the secondary, high oil pressure sensor that is in the MA brick. I think the confusion comes from just looking up the codes and not putting at least Fiat or FCA into the search also. The codes are supposed to be fairly "universal" but as we all have seen, the OEMs can customize what they are.

The more I think about the symptoms and the codes, I would look at the MA brick, the bolt tightness holding it down inside the carrier, and the gaskets underneath. It is loosing its oil reserve up top quickly and needs to be primed more often so look for what is allowing it to drain.

Reactions: Brexit !

Registered
Agip was founded in 1926 as a fuel retailer and ran several oil refineries. Eni was effectively spun out of it in 1953 as the oil exploration and production company. The Eni brand and logo is more recognisable and in 2003 Eni took over Agip.

The Eni "oil finder" website Eni Lubricant Advisor directs you to Eni i-Sint MS 5W40 for the 124 although the Fiat specification 9.55535-S2 or MS-12991 is not listed as such, but it does meet MB 229.51

Reactions: SteveP.

Registered
From what I can tell, those codes are for the secondary, high oil pressure sensor that is in the MA brick. I think the confusion comes from just looking up the codes and not putting at least Fiat or FCA into the search also. The codes are supposed to be fairly "universal" but as we all have seen, the OEMs can customize what they are.

The more I think about the symptoms and the codes, I would look at the MA brick, the bolt tightness holding it down inside the carrier, and the gaskets underneath. It is loosing its oil reserve up top quickly and needs to be primed more often so look for what is allowing it to drain.
I looked these DTC's up on Mitchell for a Fiat 124 Spider, Abarth version, 1.4 MultiAir Turbo specifically (although I know Abarth really doesn't make a difference). It is not generic. My later search on the OEM Service Manual agreed (I do not normally trust everything Mitchell says, though they appear to be spot on this time). I do agree that the PCM uses a sensor for the oil pressure in the brick. Aless124 tells us the brick has been replaced, so I would hope upon hope that a tech looking to cure an oil pressure problem would take special care to make sure the metal brick gasket was properly installed, and that everything was torqued to spec. Having said that . . . Well, I agree that this is something that needs to be considered. P1523 is for low oil pressure at the VVA, P1524 indicates there is low oil pressure, and disables the VVA solenoids and fuel injectors - the idea is to prohibit fuel contamination / flooding (all according to service info.). s.

Registered
Hi @aless124 , so I looked at the OEM Service Manual and it is essentially the same as what I found on Mitchell earlier today:
The P1523 is for low oil pressure at the VVA (Brick). I would hope the new brick that was just installed would have been installed properly with a new filter element. Diagnosis begins with verifying oil quality, level and type, also making sure you have a known good OEM filter. Step 2 is checking cranking oil pressure at the switch. It goes on from there, including step 5, checking oil pressure at the VVA oil filter ( they state replace the filter if removed, DO NOT re-use). DTC P1524 is an information DTC due to low oil pressure, not starting, and disabling valve timing and fuel delivery. Again, it starts with checking oil pressure and going from there.
Here is the location of the brick oil filter. Note: "replace if removed". So, if it were me, I would verify oil level, quality and type, (per @azzura, the oil you are using meets MB 229.51, so I'm thinking in 5w-40 wt. should be ok, but I would rather see you use something that absolutely meets Fiat specs. - just me). Also, again, make sure the oil filter is clean, correct and undamaged (I have had issues with non-OEM oil filters in the past, including stalling). After that, pursue the oil pressure issue. I would start at the switch by the filter first ( to make sure the pump is working) then check at the brick filter after (if you have a good pump, this will tell you if you are loosing pressure at the brick, not at the pump). Good Luck, let us all know what you find, or if you need more info. Best, s. PS: full disclosure, this is just my opinion/advice based on my own personal training and experiences. What I have written may not fully agree with others, but that does not mean they are wrong. Also, very difficult to diagnose from a distance, we are all trying to help. Sorry for the poor image quality here.

Registered
Hi...I see we are still going around in circles. The BASICS ..CORRECT OIL..."Aless124"....Please read the following....
"Engine Oil Tech Talk"...Page 5........XtremeRevolution, Deyeme Racing, Ameridan and Myself discussing the CORRECT oil, for North America then Amsoil does the job, however....almost unheard of in UK and being a huge "Mobil 1" fan since the 1980's I found the answer for me and more than likely for you also......Please read that thread.
Oil Filter...I don't believe you answered SteveP on that one, so...."Ricambi Original" 0073500049-001 (made in Italy).

Please confirm that you have recently changed the engine oil and filter and used the correct specs.
The CODES I supplied, confirmed by "CDPond" they need acting upon so "IF" your oil and filter are correct ones then follow the guidelines we offered, priming "The Brick" with 10 oz engine oil if your Spider is running on a regular basis IS NOT REQUIRED as The Brick is lubricated so the sensor(s) within The Brick or the one pointed out by CDPond may be faulty or blocked, your garage is equipped to diagnose, we can only logically surmise. Cheers
ron

Registered
Hi a less 124
In your earlier post you mention that this issue started a month ago (July). You also say that your oil was changed in July. Did this issue start AFTER that oil change ?
Also, you say that the workshop informed you that when they checked the plugs, they were found to be "new"..... so when and by whom were the plugs changed ???
And finally...... is your dealer a Fiat/Abarth dealer or an independant ?

Premium Member
@ameridan.... I believe I got the code descriptions from your blog. Those may need to be revisited as they may not be specific to our vehicles.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Hi a less 124
In your earlier post you mention that this issue started a month ago (July). You also say that your oil was changed in July. Did this issue start AFTER that oil change ?
Also, you say that the workshop informed you that when they checked the plugs, they were found to be "new"..... so when and by whom were the plugs changed ???
And finally...... is your dealer a Fiat/Abarth dealer or an independant ?
Hi, so, I had the issue, then they changed the module, the oil, and the plugs. But I still have the problem. For the moment I don't have it anymore but I think it is only question of time...
It is a fiat/abarth dealer.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Hi @aless124 , so I looked at the OEM Service Manual and it is essentially the same as what I found on Mitchell earlier today: View attachment 87337 View attachment 87339 View attachment 87340 View attachment 87338 The P1523 is for low oil pressure at the VVA (Brick). I would hope the new brick that was just installed would have been installed properly with a new filter element. Diagnosis begins with verifying oil quality, level and type, also making sure you have a known good OEM filter. Step 2 is checking cranking oil pressure at the switch. It goes on from there, including step 5, checking oil pressure at the VVA oil filter ( they state replace the filter if removed, DO NOT re-use). DTC P1524 is an information DTC due to low oil pressure, not starting, and disabling valve timing and fuel delivery. Again, it starts with checking oil pressure and going from there. View attachment 87341 Here is the location of the brick oil filter. Note: "replace if removed". So, if it were me, I would verify oil level, quality and type, (per @azzura, the oil you are using meets MB 229.51, so I'm thinking in 5w-40 wt. should be ok, but I would rather see you use something that absolutely meets Fiat specs. - just me). Also, again, make sure the oil filter is clean, correct and undamaged (I have had issues with non-OEM oil filters in the past, including stalling). After that, pursue the oil pressure issue. I would start at the switch by the filter first ( to make sure the pump is working) then check at the brick filter after (if you have a good pump, this will tell you if you are loosing pressure at the brick, not at the pump). Good Luck, let us all know what you find, or if you need more info. Best, s. PS: full disclosure, this is just my opinion/advice based on my own personal training and experiences. What I have written may not fully agree with others, but that does not mean they are wrong. Also, very difficult to diagnose from a distance, we are all trying to help. Sorry for the poor image quality here.

Hi, Sorry for the late reply.
So Now on, the only issue I had is the red oil warning light (low oil pressure) but th module didn't turn off ! the uniair module was replaced the first time the car stopped the same way. They also changed the oil and the spark plugs. So maybe I think I should change the oil pump.

What do you think ?

And thank you all for your precious help !! you're an incredible community !
(maybe we could talk on instagram or facebook to send video or picture of the problem/solution ?

Have a nice day

Registered
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Hi...I see we are still going around in circles. The BASICS ..CORRECT OIL..."Aless124"....Please read the following....
"Engine Oil Tech Talk"...Page 5........XtremeRevolution, Deyeme Racing, Ameridan and Myself discussing the CORRECT oil, for North America then Amsoil does the job, however....almost unheard of in UK and being a huge "Mobil 1" fan since the 1980's I found the answer for me and more than likely for you also......Please read that thread.
Oil Filter...I don't believe you answered SteveP on that one, so...."Ricambi Original" 0073500049-001 (made in Italy).

Please confirm that you have recently changed the engine oil and filter and used the correct specs.
The CODES I supplied, confirmed by "CDPond" they need acting upon so "IF" your oil and filter are correct ones then follow the guidelines we offered, priming "The Brick" with 10 oz engine oil if your Spider is running on a regular basis IS NOT REQUIRED as The Brick is lubricated so the sensor(s) within The Brick or the one pointed out by CDPond may be faulty or blocked, your garage is equipped to diagnose, we can only logically surmise. Cheers
ron

Hi, I live in south France, next to the sea, so very hot weather ! I always used 5w40 from selenia and got this issue, last time I used 5w40 from ENI because I needed the same day and the selenia was only sold by abarth at 90鈧/5L...
Some told me to use 10w40. After changing the oil filter for sure ! What do you think ? Do you have a better idea ?
Thank you so much for your help !!

Have a nice day

21 - 40 of 78 Posts