Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have no experience in modifying engines to increase horsepower.

My current drive is a 2016 Fiat 124 Spider with manual transmission.

From a standing start, the unmodified car has sufficient power for me to induce wheelspin. What would be the advantages of me seeking additional horsepower on this road car? From my inexperienced, uneducated, starting point, it seems to me that increasing engine power would serve no practical purpose but, may exacerbate to the existing loss of traction.

Thanks in anticipation,
Martin

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
I got the Euro drive Lite, pain in the rear to install it, but never the less, the kick and satisfaction it's giving me, well it's Priceless. It's not speeding to the 200 kph faster, I get the fun on the acceleration without spinning the tires, passing another cars within the speed limit.

But they have other ECU which connects to the OBDII, much simpler.
Across the pond the Abarth has 170HP, while Fiat Classica and Lusso have 140 Donkey power. <BG>

originally I ordered the LUSSO, but after test driving the Abarth, well ended buying the Abarth.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Op: The 124 has more traction than power. User satisfaction is subjective when it comes to performance envelope of any car. And any number of variables can be changed through altering aspects of any car. I think you are asking about power delivery: does the throttle respond fast enough for me, does power output overwhelm traction at a given point if I run full throttle? For some, the perception of untapped potential encourages modifications to expand the envelope.

Under normal traction conditions the results you report are likely dependent upon building rpm and engaging the clutch abruptly at maximum throttle above 3000 rpm - approaching the cars optimal powerband. (Something not so easily done on an automatic.) Both stock and tuned, the power output of this engine will overwhelm traction in a limited number of situations, and typically only in first gear. The limiting factor for maximum theoretical acceleration is therfore power output and not traction. Increasing output in all the areas of a power curve (down low and up high in the rev range for this particular car), ideally with a linear build in power, is a sort of ideal for many. In any case, both the power band and output are known to be below potential envelope of the rest of the package (brakes and suspension).

Taken further, the pursuit of increased traction, power, handling AND braking can all be a rewarding hobby for some. Competitive thrill or bragging rights are other motivators. Sounds like you enjoy things right from the factory and there is nothing wrong with that!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm really surprised that FCA has not upgraded the 1.4l since it has come to the NA market. We have been at 160/164 since 2011. The car would be so much better with another 25hp right around 185 or so. Yes I know that you can get more power out of these, but I would like to get one from the dealer already at 185hp. Is there nothing left for FCA to do to the 1.4 to massage these a little more while retaining dependability for warranty claims?

·
Vendor
3,653 Posts
I'm really surprised that FCA has not upgraded the 1.4l since it has come to the NA market. We have been at 160/164 since 2011. The car would be so much better with another 25hp right around 185 or so. Yes I know that you can get more power out of these, but I would like to get one from the dealer already at 185hp. Is there nothing left for FCA to do to the 1.4 to massage these a little more while retaining dependability for warranty claims?
Hi Rags, I have it from a very high source within FCA that their deal with Mazda prohibits them from releasing a much hotter version. If they wanted to, they could plug in a 180 or 190hp version like they do in the 500 Abarth with very few changes.

Greg

·
Vendor
3,653 Posts

From a standing start, the unmodified car has sufficient power for me to induce wheelspin. What would be the advantages of me seeking additional horsepower on this road car? From my inexperienced, uneducated, starting point, it seems to me that increasing engine power would serve no practical purpose but, may exacerbate to the existing loss of traction.

Thanks in anticipation,
Martin
Mark Donohue said "No, it will never have enough power until I can spin the wheels at the end of the straightaway in high gear."

While that's an extreme viewpoint, it is valid. Your 124 may be able to break the tires loose at low speeds, but not at higher speeds. Thus more power will give greater acceleration except at very low speeds where the car is traction limited. I promise you, with 200 horsepower, you will feel the increase.

Greg

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Hi Rags, I have it from a very high source within FCA that their deal with Mazda prohibits them from releasing a much hotter version. If they wanted to, they could plug in a 180 or 190hp version like they do in the 500 Abarth with very few changes.

Greg
certainly makes sense; Mazda won’t make a competitor which has more power than the MX5, which probably means this car would never have seen the light of day.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Where is my tuner!!!!!!!!!!!! lol>:)

·
Registered
233 Posts
In comparing my Spider to my 2000 Miata, which had plenty of enough power for me at the time, this stock 124 Classica is a rocket! I have no plans for modifications other than the GFB DV+turbo valve and a high flow air filter, which have already been done. I don't care about spinning the wheels and tearing the car up, nor breaking the sound barrier....sometimes it's great to take life in the slow lane.

·
Vendor
3,653 Posts
For me the tune is more about driveability
Just a much better fuel map and the extra HP is just gravy

You know...that's a good point. We talk about power a lot, but what percentage of your driving is actually at full throttle? For a lot of people the main benefit is the improved driveability. It's hard to quantify that, so we don't talk about it much, but it's quite meaningful to a lot of people, including myself.

Greg

·
Registered
430 Posts
You know...that's a good point. We talk about power a lot, but what percentage of your driving is actually at full throttle? For a lot of people the main benefit is the improved driveability. It's hard to quantify that, so we don't talk about it much, but it's quite meaningful to a lot of people, including myself.

Greg
For me it's about smooth and linear throttle response with gobs of torque at the low and mid rpm range..... oh yeh, it's what makes me smile, bring it! :D

Paul

·
Registered
32 Posts
I lost 200bhp going to the 124 but the last thing it needs is moar power. Spend the money on better tyres a good geo (and a nice aviator hat for them cold winter drives).

·
Registered
967 Posts

Thanks in anticipation,
Martin
Just curious, what RPM do you launch at? How quickly do you release the clutch?

If you dump the clutch at high RPMs, of course the wheels will spin, you NEED that for doughnuts and burnouts >:) A car that can't do that is not a sports car.

If you want the best launch, it's up to YOU, not the tires, to minimize wheel spin. The engine upgrades do help you go faster once you are above wheel spin-happy speeds.

·
Registered
350 Posts
THIS^^^
I do most of my driving in my AT Abarth in non-sport mode, the drivability is so much better and less laggy. I also did the EC V4 and GFB DV+ before the Phase 1 tune and both of those were noticeable improvement, which the tune took to the next level even in the non-sport mode. But when I feel the "Need for speed" a flick of the sport button is all that is needed >:)

·
Registered
79 Posts
For dummies like me can someone explain sport mode and when to use it?

THIS^^^
I do most of my driving in my AT Abarth in non-sport mode, the drivability is so much better and less laggy. I also did the EC V4 and GFB DV+ before the Phase 1 tune and both of those were noticeable improvement, which the tune took to the next level even in the non-sport mode. But when I feel the "Need for speed" a flick of the sport button is all that is needed >

·
Registered
453 Posts
For dummies like me can someone explain sport mode and when to use it?

You can do a search, there were some good explainations in the past. Or, perhaps someone can give a more technical response than me here.

Sport mode changes the mapping and make it more responsive (and the EC Tune takes it to another level as I understand it)

For me, it's on all the time. Some wait for the car to warm up (when the blue light goes off). I'm not that patient.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I don’t want anything too technical I won’t unserstand it. I’m looking for the “explain like I’m 5” edition of sport mode.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Sport mode is part of the Abarth package and not available on the Classico and Lusso models. It provides more power at lower rpms, a tighter suspension, and stiffer steering. Those of us who have it, especially without other mods, think it is the only way to drive it.

Reactions: GregtheBike
1 - 20 of 39 Posts