Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I have a 2019 124 Spider Lusso model.

Last serviced in early March, has about 35,000 miles on the clock.

About a week ago noticed the engine started to judder in sixth gear.

Over a couple of days this got worse and moved down the gears.

The amber engine warning light then came on.

The engine still starts, but is running very roughly, so have parked her up, and haven't used her for nearly a week.

Going into the dealership next week to see what's going on.

Any ideas?

Thankyou

·
Registered
2020 Abarth 124 Brillante White Velleno package with Monza exhaust.
1,344 Posts
Would love to help, and I understand that not everyone has an obd reader but some codes would be very helpful. The symptoms are very vague and could be anything from spark plugs to a slipping clutch. Not sure if you can rent or buy a cheap reader, but it would help to diagnose without guessing.

·
Registered
2017 Abarth Rosso, Manual, GFB Diverter, Top Speed Axle back exhaust. Took possession Dec16
98 Posts
Hi guys,

I have a 2019 124 Spider Lusso model.

Last serviced in early March, has about 35,000 miles on the clock.

About a week ago noticed the engine started to judder in sixth gear.

Over a couple of days this got worse and moved down the gears.

The amber engine warning light then came on.

The engine still starts, but is running very roughly, so have parked her up, and haven't used her for nearly a week.

Going into the dealership next week to see what's going on.

Any ideas?

Thankyou
Have you checked your oil level?
If it is low it will not operate smoothly, if oil is low fill to proper level. If it idles smoothly the engine light will go away after a few starts.,
Good luck.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
I third the suggestion to check the oil if you don't have an OBDII reader. I know my Spider gets very upset if the oil level is low, and it varies between Spiders, but some consume more oil than others. Mine likes the black gold (Texas tea, if you were a Beverly Hillbillies fan.... something for folks to Google if you're not from North America). Once the oil is topped off, the engine is happier and things smooth out nicely.

I also urge you to consider buying an OBDII reader. I have one that transmits over BT with the Torque Pro app that runs on my Samsung Android devices (sometimes I use my phone, sometimes I use my tablet.... depends if I'm logging and observing live data). I think it cost me a little under $25 CAD on Amazon, and worth every penny. That way if you throw a CEL, you can hook up the reader and find out what's causing the problem. It also allows you to reset/clear some codes once you've resolved the issue. So some potential savings by not having to take it to a dealer or garage for service. And if you get the reader, here's a link to a great site that provides not only the generic codes and descriptions, but also those that are unique to Fiat. Quite useful.
FIAT Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Definition, Causes and Diagnosis

For any of you who own other vehicles, you'll find that site also have other manufacturer specific code sections, so a good one to bookmark for future reference.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi again guys,

Dropped the Spider into my local dealership which is only about half a mile away from home.

Did lots of searching on the forum and online over last few days which gave me nightmares with some talk of cylinder head gasket problems etc!!!

Turns out your advice was correct.

Coilpacks were fine, but there were what they called "visible fouling combustion signs" on two spark plugs.

They were all replaced, and the system was reset and all the multiple fault signs were cleared.

Phew, quite a relief....took her for a spin in the glorious hot sunshine of Donegal as a celebration.

Thanks for your feedback.

·
Registered
2018 Abarth 124 Spider, Mare Blue / Nero Abarth Leather, Brembo's, Record Monza, Automatic
1,389 Posts
Hi again guys,

Dropped the Spider into my local dealership which is only about half a mile away from home.

Did lots of searching on the forum and online over last few days which gave me nightmares with some talk of cylinder head gasket problems etc!!!

Turns out your advice was correct.

Coilpacks were fine, but there were what they called "visible fouling combustion signs" on two spark plugs.

They were all replaced, and the system was reset and all the multiple fault signs were cleared.

Phew, quite a relief....took her for a spin in the glorious hot sunshine of Donegal as a celebration.

Thanks for your feedback.
"visible fouling combustion signs"? Can you please further describe these "signs"? What I am concerned about @foyleview19 , is if these "signs" are ragged black lines running down the outside of the porcelain insulator where the porcelain is covered by the coil boot. Here to help, not to cause trouble . . . Best, s

·
Registered
2020 Abarth 124 Brillante White Velleno package with Monza exhaust.
1,344 Posts
I believe the op was referring to the rust colored combustion gas residue at the base of the porcelain. The plugs were just worn and needed replacing. I don’t think they found carbon tracking, that would indicate a cracked plug.

·
Registered
2018 Abarth 124 Spider, Mare Blue / Nero Abarth Leather, Brembo's, Record Monza, Automatic
1,389 Posts
I believe the op was referring to the rust colored combustion gas residue at the base of the porcelain. The plugs were just worn and needed replacing. I don’t think they found carbon tracking, that would indicate a cracked plug.
You are right - I was getting at the possibility of carbon tracking, and concerned of the possibility of said carbon tracking transferring back from the original coil boots onto the new plugs - this was a lesson I learned many years ago when I had a couple of " 'Mon backs" - GM engines that came in with a missfire - "Oh, a couple of plugs are carbon tracked" - replace the plugs, engine runs fine, ship it! But a few weeks to months later, back again with a missfire because the tracking also was on the plug wire boot and transferred back to the plug. Rookie mistake that I learned a lesson from and never forgot! ( I should update " A Short Treatise ... " with this info, even though it is rare these days. Best, s

·
Registered
431 Posts
Glad you are back up and running again! But I never thought that when plugs need replacement there would be a sudden change in how a car runs.... always thought it would be a more gradual decline over months. Could there be another issue I wonder? But, will remember to change my plugs at 30K based on your experience!

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Glad you are back up and running again! But I never thought that when plugs need replacement there would be a sudden change in how a car runs.... always thought it would be a more gradual decline over months. Could there be another issue I wonder? But, will remember to change my plugs at 30K based on your experience!
Hi @SpiderNUT , may I recommend changing the plugs at 25,000 miles, as some on this forum have reported problems starting at that mileage? Also recommend NGK SIKR9A7 spark plugs (OEM part number plugs) gapped at .023-.024". Please see my thread "A Short Treatise on Spark Plugs" for more info. Best, s

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi guys,

Just a quick update for you on the spark plug failure situation.

The residue was at the base of the plugs below the porcelain insulator, and there was no carbon tracking down the porcelain.

Mechanic said they were just worn.

Once again thankyou for all the feedback, appreciate it.

All the best.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts