Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 abarth it had 48,300ish miles (daily driver), bone stock no mods, second owner, purchased it last year with 25k miles. I was driving from Seattle to Northern Cal last month when I lost compression in cylinder #2. Since I was within 1700 miles and 3 months of my 5 year factory warranty coming to an end, I took it in next day. Sure enough, they told me my rings were bad and they were replacing the whole engine, I pick it up next tuesday after they had it a month. Kinda crazy. I was told no warranty on new engine after odometer hits 50k not happy with that. They told me it would cost me $12k if I had to pay for it. So, I have a car that shows almost 50k with new engine. Anyone else have similar issue?

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I think you are in the minority, but like any engine, it can happen.

out of interest:

1) had you had it from new?
2) if not, full service and oil change history?
3) Was its previous life in harsh conditions etc?

Reactions: Dpenman

·
Registered
137 Posts
As Boddle says, this is rare, but it would be interesting to find out why this has happened - Did the dealer say they had found any signs of defect? Poor maintenance?
I guess you will never know how it was treated, or what problems it had, in its first 25,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Spider Abarth Custom
1,875 Posts
I am finding it interesting that when there is a ring land failure in just about any 1.4MA, that it is the #2 cylinder. When I took mine apart, #2 and #3 had different carbon buildups and look than #1 and #4.

I am glad that yours was covered and only taking a month, mine wasn't of course and I was told $11.5K to replace everything. Only problem doing it all myself is the pandemic has slowed everything way down and going on 10 months now.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think you are in the minority, but like any engine, it can happen.

out of interest:

1) had you had it from new?
2) if not, full service and oil change history?
3) Was its previous life in harsh conditions etc?
I purchased it a year ago with 25k on odometer. I took it into the shop every 3k miles for a certified tech to do oil changes and look for any potential issues. I never raced it or ran it really hard. With that said never really sure what its life was before I had it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As Boddle says, this is rare, but it would be interesting to find out why this has happened - Did the dealer say they had found any signs of defect? Poor maintenance?
I guess you will never know how it was treated, or what problems it had, in its first 25,000 miles.
The dealership has been very good about the whole thing. They informed me the compression in cylinder 2 was half of what they others were as the rings were bad and said they would replace the engine, no fighting them on it or anything. I always stayed up on scheduled oil and maintenance but never know how the 1st owner treated it.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Assuming something bad happens over 50K, I am sure if you fight it, they will assume responability. There's always a warranty looking at your case. You have to fight it.

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Spider Abarth Custom
1,875 Posts
The dealership has been very good about the whole thing. They informed me the compression in cylinder 2 was half of what they others were as the rings were bad and said they would replace the engine, no fighting them on it or anything. I always stayed up on scheduled oil and maintenance but never know how the 1st owner treated it.
If you wouldn't mind, could you try to pick their brains as to why #2 seems to be the majority failure across multiple end use vehicles for the 1.4MA? It's also always on the intake side of the piston that comes apart. I'm finding this as far back as 2012 model year on 500s, Jeeps, Darts, and a couple of Spiders in various forms. There is a reason this happens and I want to know why. It's not just 40PSI of boost, although that definitely amplifies the effect, because plenty of stock engines have done the same.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you wouldn't mind, could you try to pick their brains as to why #2 seems to be the majority failure across multiple end use vehicles for the 1.4MA? It's also always on the intake side of the piston that comes apart. I'm finding this as far back as 2012 model year on 500s, Jeeps, Darts, and a couple of Spiders in various forms. There is a reason this happens and I want to know why. It's not just 40PSI of boost, although that definitely amplifies the effect, because plenty of stock engines have done the same.
I'll ask more questions when I pick it up on Tuesday and I'll inform this thread.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have a 2017 abarth it had 48,300ish miles (daily driver), bone stock no mods, second owner, purchased it last year with 25k miles. I was driving from Seattle to Northern Cal last month when I lost compression in cylinder #2. Since I was within 1700 miles and 3 months of my 5 year factory warranty coming to an end, I took it in next day. Sure enough, they told me my rings were bad and they were replacing the whole engine, I pick it up next tuesday after they had it a month. Kinda crazy. I was told no warranty on new engine after odometer hits 50k not happy with that. They told me it would cost me $12k if I had to pay for it. So, I have a car that shows almost 50k with new engine. Anyone else have similar issue?
While driving, how did you know your 124 had an issue??

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think it is very easy to tell why you see the majority of failures at No 2 - it is the most thermally loaded cylinder/piston. No 2&3, being inwards in the block are most difficult to cool properly.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just got mines back after 3 months being disabled with pretty much the same problem. Mine was repaired twice already with cylinder 3 loss compression and valve leak cylinder head replaced according to the paper. It was just difficult dealing with the dealer and corporate to cover the repair because it was not too long since the second breakdown occurred after the first repair was made. I have 57k miles now and scared of driving it on my daily commute.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts