Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an OBDII w/ bluetooth a few years ago. Comes in very handy when it is time to pass the E-Check tests. At any rate, my first long ramble with the 124 was great, but I did get a check engine light on the way home. Here are the codes -
P1066
P1068
P106A
P106C
Other symptoms.
Hard starting when the car is hot and a restart is attempted while heat soaked.
Stumbles under hard acceleration (heavy loading) most noticeable in third gear.

I am scheduling a dealer visit, but I have always found it better to have some idea of where the problems are before you get to the dealer.
Any help from anyone would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Those codes are related to the MultiAir system. How's your oil level?

·
Administrator
2,029 Posts
The Fiat 500 forums yielded some good information on this.

P1066 - cylinder 1 oil supply solenoid valve switch off time out of range.
P1068 - cylinder 2 oil supply solenoid valve switch off time out of range.
P106A - cylinder 3 oil supply solenoid valve switch off time out of range.
P106C - cylinder 4 oil supply solenoid valve switch off time out of range.

The PCM measures the time needed to turn off the variable valve actuator (VVA) solenoid. When the PCM recognizes that the VVA solenoid's switch-off time is too fast or too slow, these codes are thrown.

It is possible, but highly unlikely, that all VVA solenoids are bad. It is more likely that you have an oil pressure problem.

Potential root causes (probably taken from the service manual):
- LOW ENGINE OIL
- INCORRECT OIL FILTER THAT DOES NOT MEET OEM SPECIFICATIONS
- OIL DIRTY OR DETERIORATED (Lack of scheduled oil changes)
- CORRECT VISCOSITY AND WEIGHT ENGINE OIL CONTAMINATED (i.e., coolant and/or fuel)

Have you had an oil change done yet? If so, using what oil? What does your oil level look like? How many miles since the last oil change?

·
Banned
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
While I checked the oil level when the engine light first came on, I blew it. Upon checking the level again, it was in fact low. When on the road, I checked the level just after shutting down the car and the stick must have picked up some residual off the side of the tunnel. At any rate, I topped it off and when I take it for a ride again, I will see if the codes self clear before I clear them with the OBD II device. I am sure you are both right. Not used to vehicles using that much oil between changes. I understand turbos tend to use a little more oil than naturally aspirated motors. Lesson learned.

Reactions: sharkcohen

·
Administrator
2,029 Posts
While I checked the oil level when the engine light first came on, I blew it. Upon checking the level again, it was in fact low. When on the road, I checked the level just after shutting down the car and the stick must have picked up some residual off the side of the tunnel. At any rate, I topped it off and when I take it for a ride again, I will see if the codes self clear before I clear them with the OBD II device. I am sure you are both right. Not used to vehicles using that much oil between changes. I understand turbos tend to use a little more oil than naturally aspirated motors. Lesson learned.
It is worth noting, I've read that specific to the 1.4L Multiair, the factory fill tends to burn a lot more than subsequent oil changes do. I'm not sure what the cause is, but something to keep an eye on.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Interesting. I'm at 1200 miles and haven't noticed any change in the oil level. I've been checking mine on a cold engine and find the level to be very slightly over the top limit. Stelvio, how many miles are on your Abarth (or since last oil change) and how much did you need to add?

·
Registered
875 Posts
Stelvio:

A couple of things:

CEL will flash when the fault is emissions related and may harm the catalytic converter, such as a misfire in one or more cylinders for whatever reason.

A quart consumption in 4K miles is not cause for concern. In the old days a quart in a thousand was considered normal. Nowadays the norm is much less. But with a turbocharged new engine on a factory oil fill, your situation is not unusual.

When you are 25% short on oil supply, as you were, starving the oil pump is a real possibility, especially on turns, hence the CEL.

I think you dodged a bullet, and a lesson to us all. Check oil level frequently. I would do an oil change and then monitor consumption closely to ensure there is no warranty related issue.

Just an old mechanic's 2c for whatever it's worth...

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
The oil pressure light probably doesn't come on until 0 psi.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The Fiat 500 forums yielded some good information on this.

P1066 - cylinder 1 oil supply solenoid valve switch off time out of range.
P1068 - cylinder 2 oil supply solenoid valve switch off time out of range.
P106A - cylinder 3 oil supply solenoid valve switch off time out of range.
P106C - cylinder 4 oil supply solenoid valve switch off time out of range.

The PCM measures the time needed to turn off the variable valve actuator (VVA) solenoid. When the PCM recognizes that the VVA solenoid's switch-off time is too fast or too slow, these codes are thrown.

It is possible, but highly unlikely, that all VVA solenoids are bad. It is more likely that you have an oil pressure problem.

Potential root causes (probably taken from the service manual):
  • LOW ENGINE OIL
  • INCORRECT OIL FILTER THAT DOES NOT MEET OEM SPECIFICATIONS
  • OIL DIRTY OR DETERIORATED (Lack of scheduled oil changes)
  • CORRECT VISCOSITY AND WEIGHT ENGINE OIL CONTAMINATED (i.e., coolant and/or fuel)

Have you had an oil change done yet? If so, using what oil? What does your oil level look like? How many miles since the last oil change?
Thanks this answered my questions. Very helpful.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts