1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Retired Moderator
676 Posts
I think these would look really cool on my red Classica. They have a more classic/retro look than the factory rims. That, and I just like dark rims. They are heavy at just under 19 lbs but that's what the 16" factory rims weigh so it's a wash.

https://www.amazon.com/Enkei-COMPE-Gunmetal-Wheels-477-670-4938GM/dp/B00DNLFP2G/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1484850682&sr=1-1&keywords=16x7+Enkei+COMPE+(Matte+Gunmetal)+Wheels/Rims+4x100
I agree...definitely a retro look...watch the offset...stock is 45mm and these are 38mm... it will move the face of the tire out about 7mm...not much and probably no issue as long as you have no plans to drop the suspension...go for it...:D

·
Vendor
3,099 Posts
They remind me of the Panasport wheels which were very popular on British sports cars back in the 70's.

Greg

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree...definitely a retro look...watch the offset...stock is 45mm and these are 38mm... it will move the face of the tire out about 7mm...not much and probably no issue as long as you have no plans to drop the suspension...go for it...:D
I mistakenly thought 37 mm was the factory offset, hmmmm,...but in any case you are right, I've got no plans to drop it and a 7 mm shift outward should only help it took a little nicer.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They remind me of the Panasport wheels which were very popular on British sports cars back in the 70's.

Greg
I just Googled Panasport and yeah, that's about spot on what they must have referenced when they designed these.;)

·
Retired Moderator
676 Posts
I mistakenly thought 37 mm was the factory offset, hmmmm,...but in any case you are right, I've got no plans to drop it and a 7 mm shift outward should only help it took a little nicer.
Definitely a little more aggressive stance...;)I say go for it...should look pretty cool...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Since these are 16" I would also recommend more meatier tires (sidewall) than stock... Would go a long way in filling the wheel gaps and making the car look more aggressive.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I think these would look really cool on my red Classica. They have a more classic/retro look than the factory rims. That, and I just like dark rims. They are heavy at just under 19 lbs but that's what the 16" factory rims weigh so it's a wash.

https://www.amazon.com/Enkei-COMPE-Gunmetal-Wheels-477-670-4938GM/dp/B00DNLFP2G/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1484850682&sr=1-1&keywords=16x7+Enkei+COMPE+(Matte+Gunmetal)+Wheels/Rims+4x100
If you go to TireRack.com, you can view those wheels on a Miata. You can also see other wheels that will fit your Classica.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
194 Posts
Finally installing the Eibachs (US-spec, ~0.8" drop), and doing some alignment tweaking on Wednesday, then have the Roadstersport dual exhaust showing up a few days later.

Figured I'd leave it at that, get my money's worth out of the stock tires, then maybe consider some wider, fancier 17"s next year. But... the recent wheel damage got me thinking... my whole approach to this car is celebrating the down to earth roadster nature of it... and the stock skinny 16"s fit that vibe way more than wider 17"s would (plus, sometimes a little less traction is a lot more fun).

Then I remembered this thread... then I made a quick Photoshop. Wasn't expecting the gunmetal and bronze to work well, but now I'm really intrigued.

I don't know much about aftermarket wheel fitment. The stock wheels are 16x6.5, and these are available in 16x7 with 38mm offset. Tire Rack seems to indicate the stock 195/50-16 tires will fit just fine on these at 16x7, and the Eibachs aren't a drastic drop, so I imagine wheelwell clearance wouldn't be an issue... any thoughts from more wheel-savvy folks?

Attachments

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I can tell you first hand they will fit fine. The wheel will sit a full 1/2" further to the outside and at least to me, looks much better running close to flush with the fenders. I'm also running 205 on the width. I'll post pictures in a few days or so. I'm waiting for my center caps to arrive and to finish one other mod.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Wheelwell clearance shouldn't be an issue at all. Remember the Lusso and Abarth run 205/45/17 with no issues. I myself am planning on Enkei's on 205/55/16 (or similar) for even more of that retro look.

·
124 Spider Vendor
904 Posts
That 37mm is pretty easy fit as long as you don't go too crazy on tire size.

That's our Fiat 124 below on Enkei RPF1 38mm 16x8, lowered about 1.5 inches at the time and 205/50 tire. More pics at the link.

It should be noted that fitment of aggressive offsets gets EASIER as the car is lowered, not the other way around. This may seem counter intuitive to many, but think about what actually happens as you lower the car,.... you get a lot more negative camber which tips tops of the tires inward.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the input on the fitment Brian. I never had thought about the camber effects before. Makes sense though.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I finally got around to taking pictures. I was waiting to finish my "ugly as **** fog/backup light delete" project and to get my centercaps that I had to piece together from Amazon and China venders. The exhaust tips are from China also. I will never drop the car so don't ask if I'm planning on doing that - The gap, to my eyes, looks appropriate for a modern retro car. Anyways, here we go;

1 - 20 of 27 Posts