Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 Prima GWR Exhaust,, SS Pedals, Turbo Blanket, Hood Struts, Various Trim add ons..
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The EPA is trying to enforce a ban on any modifications to a car’s intake and/or exhaust system. If you even install a non-OEM Cold Air intake You could be pulled over, ticketed and
Be required to put your car back to stock.
(illegal to drive it on public roads).
I would encourage anyone concerned to
Sign the following petition for the RPM act
And contact your state’s representatives in Congress
Here is a link to the petition
Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
The RPM act concerns protecting dedicated race cars, and protecting the modification of production vehicles to become dedicated race cars. Dedicated race cars, as in cars not driven on the street. It’s not going to help the hobby of modifying production vehicles that are driven on the street.

·
Premium Member
2017 Prima GWR Exhaust,, SS Pedals, Turbo Blanket, Hood Struts, Various Trim add ons..
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi
Thanks for responding and your thoughts
If they do not amend the bill to protect the cars that
Are modified and driven on the street yes I agree
Hopefully the industry will lobby for a reasonable compromise Ie, if the car passes emissions with
The mods. Then they don’t have to be removed
This is also going to affect the auto manufacturers
They will no longer be able to sell the performance
Parts. Many years ago side pipes were illegal in Connecticut , Inc OEM. To pass safety inspection (and register a newly purchased car with side pipes) we had to remove the side exhaust, bolt on some mid and exhaust pipes so that the exhaust was directed out from the rear bumper. When the Viper was launched, Dodge/ Chrysler lobbied the legislature The law was changed to allow side exhaust as long as it directed the exhaust away from the under carriage of the vehicle
Hopefully all affected will write their State Reps and Senators, the Trade Assoc and Mfg will hire lobbyists, and, like with the side pipes, middle ground can be found.
Thx again for responding and your thoughts.

·
Registered
185 Posts
The RPM act concerns protecting dedicated race cars, and protecting the modification of production vehicles to become dedicated race cars. Dedicated race cars, as in cars not driven on the street. It’s not going to help the hobby of modifying production vehicles that are driven on the street.
Pretty certain bet that if the fun police can get at the racers today they will come for everyone else tomorrow. I'll sign.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1000%. More $$$ for govt
I would also encourage you to
Contact your State Reps/Senators
I believe President Biden is a car
Aficionado. He is also extremely concerned about
Our environment.
If the accessory mfg can show that their mods
Are do not affect the emissions to the point that the vehicle would not pass the required emissions checks, it can help pass a reasonable compromise
I forgot to mention it will affect major auto parts retailers (ie auto zone, Advanced Auto, O’Reilly’s)
I am quite certain the lobbyist are hard at work
Though a legislator hearing from a constituent can only help

·
Premium Member
2,569 Posts
I hate to be pessimistic, but my belief is that pretty much all politicians follow the direction of their pocketbooks. That's a non-partisan, non-specific group/party or country assessment. Maybe I'm being unfair, but I paint them all with the same brush, regardless of their afiliations.

If you can find a way to incent them financially, you'll get their support. I hope for your sakes that this potential restriction doesn't become reality. I'll ask an innocent and perhaps might be considered as a dumb question, as I'm obviously not from the States. Can the EPA arbitrarily establish and enforce unilateral standards without it having to be approved by some elected body?

Reactions: SJWhiteley

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I hate to be pessimistic, but my belief is that pretty much all politicians follow the direction of their pocketbooks. That's a non-partisan, non-specific group/party or country assessment. Maybe I'm being unfair, but I paint them all with the same brush, regardless of their afiliations.

If you can find a way to incent them financially, you'll get their support. I hope for your sakes that this potential restriction doesn't become reality. I'll ask an innocent and perhaps might be considered as a dumb question, as I'm obviously not from the States. Can the EPA arbitrarily establish and enforce unilateral standards without it having to be approved by some elected body?
Hello, thank you for responding to my post
And your well thought out comments.
You are correct that financial Enticements Will be a factor, but our strict ethics rules and Statutes limit the “legal” financial contributions. This is why we have the super PACS where there is Less stringent state and federal ethics laws.
They can accept larger contributions and use these funds to pay for political advertisements.
What’s a bigger concern to legislatures, especially members of the US Congress yes being reelected. The term is two years For our state reps. There is an old joke saying that they work for six months and campaign for 18. When their constituents are directly affected by Any legislation,then they tend to
Vote (All things being equal) with their constituents benefit in mind. I.e. a large automotive performance parts factory we are lots of jobs are at risk of being eliminated. This is why we have so many lobbyist in this country (both on the state and federal level). Lobbyists allow those affected by pending (or current) laws, regulations, ect Voice in the legislative body to present how any form of legislation will impact them, the companies, the employees, their state etc.
And, I would be remiss if I did not mention
A major influencing factor (often the most influential factor on a legislatives voting) is Party Affiliation.

Excellent question about if regulations have to be approved a legislative body. It’s a mixed bag
it would be impossible to have every rule, regulation and procedure require Prior authorization by A legislative body. A good example would be FAA requirements to be licensed to fly a plane, and what specific license is needed to operate an Aircraft with two engines, commercially, under instrument flight rules (IFR).
Many of these agencies have the authority to implement or change rules regulations and procedures if they feel it will benefit the population.
The rules can be challenged (judicial) or rescinded, or modified (which is what I feel is needed with current topic at hand)
By a legislative body.
Any proposed change that has sweeping socioeconomic impact quite often does require approval by either a regulatory and/or legislative body. Some examples to come to mine are increase /decreases on what is taxable income, what is deductible biz expense, what percentage of income would be taxable ( both , personal & Corp), and on and on it goes. Many of these issues are definitely on President Biden‘s Bucket list.
Thanks again for your response, input and inquiries.
They were really helpful to the topic at hand.
it is much appreciated
I do hope this helps & Please do lmk your thoughts and any ?? I (hopefully) can assist with
Many thanks
CDNA

·
Registered
314 Posts
To be honest you would be totally fine with only turbo update and maybe some suspension modes in this car.. There no simple way to prove that your stuffed turbo is not stock..

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree with your thoughts, I plan to do the same.
From what I understand they are focused on.
The Exhaust Systems, both mfg and end users
I know they are in California
Where we may have an issue is at Emissions check
If I fail b/c of Aftermarket exhaust I would bolt on the OEM get it passed and then swap them back
To the good parts

If I was pulled over and asked By the officer if I would allow She/He to Search my Car, or, related this discussion, if I would open my hood (trunk)
I would reply with a polite “No thank You”
And if asked if I have anything to hide: “I’m sorry officer but I do not consent to you searching my vehicle”.
Thx for responding

·
Registered
418 Posts
To be honest you would be totally fine with only turbo update and maybe some suspension modes in this car.. There no simple way to prove that your stuffed turbo is not stock..
The problem wouldn't be you being sneaky about a mod, but what company would DARE make the part and sell it to you, risking you getting them nailed for the crime of manufacturing it or selling it to you? And even if you signed a waiver or something, the reality is that far fewer people would buy the mod. In natural economic law of supply and demand, the price would be outrageous, or the mod simply wouldn't exist.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I agree. The only way to deal with this is to have
The trade associations & Auto manufacturers,
Wholesale and retail auto parts sales (esp large nat’l chains) pool financial resources & Hire well connected lobbyists. On the grass root level, not only car enthusiasts, but people who will lose their jobs reach out to their US Senators and especially Congresswomen & congressmen. I emphasized US Rep b/c they come up for reelection every 2 years
We are just coming out of the worst economy since the Great Depression. I think an Elected official would not want to explain (when up for reelection how there vote resulted in many of their constituents becoming unemployed.
Also, imho, the aforementioned groups Might want to consider hiring lobbyists to represent them in their states legislative bodies. California is pulling people over for having Aftermarket Parts. There has to be some middle ground.
also, I personally would suggest really good public relations firms be hired. A bill as onerous as this one is best attacked (in my humble opinion) By hiring lobbyists to represent those affected by the pending legislation & a good public relations firm to
Make the public aware of the harm (Including the trickle down) the proposed statute will do, especially when jobs are at risk. Switching gears;
I just became aware of some more happiness , it’s unrelated to the above concerns, but is something that anyone who installs perform mods their car should be aware of. I Will be posting it ASAP.
Thx for responding and your valuable input. Much appreciated!

·
Registered
314 Posts
The problem wouldn't be you being sneaky about a mod, but what company would DARE make the part and sell it to you, risking you getting them nailed for the crime of manufacturing it or selling it to you? And even if you signed a waiver or something, the reality is that far fewer people would buy the mod. In natural economic law of supply and demand, the price would be outrageous, or the mod simply wouldn't exist.
They do it already - off-road downpipe for instance. Problem would be to find shop which would install.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They do it already - off-road downpipe for instance. Problem would be to find shop which would install.
You are correct that they couldn’t tell.
i don’t think that the EPA statute would hold up a legal challenge. As long as the mods do not cause the vehicle to fail emissions, I don’t see how the ban would pass judicial review.
it could have anti-trust implications, the epa is forcing you to only use OEM parts. On doing so they are effectively causing a monopoly. What’s next:
Only OEM tires? Windshield fluid?
Is the OEM mfg and Auto Mfg behind this???

·
Registered
2019 Fiat 124 Spider Lusso
355 Posts
I agree with the above. Parts would still be manufactured for "off-road use only." However, I do believe the challenge would be finding someone who would install said part. That is where at-home know-how comes in. However, this means that even if you do it yourself, you'd be running the risk of having the part on the car on the street.

Anything that helps line the pockets of the government is usually attractive to them, which is unfortunate.

As far as the modding of cars goes, I've always been of the mindset that "if they don't know, they can't care." If something like this goes into play, discretion is going to be key. It won't stop me, but it would certainly make me more careful.

I'll sign.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I agree with the above. Parts would still be manufactured for "off-road use only." However, I do believe the challenge would be finding someone who would install said part. That is where at-home know-how comes in. However, this means that even if you do it yourself, you'd be running the risk of having the part on the car on the street.

Anything that helps line the pockets of the government is usually attractive to them, which is unfortunate.

As far as the modding of cars goes, I've always been of the mindset that "if they don't know, they can't care." If something like this goes into play, discretion is going to be key. It won't stop me, but it would certainly make me more careful.

I'll sign.
Thank you for responding and your thoughts.
I’m not taking my mods off. As you said, they have to find us. They did go after a after market who was retailing parts for diesel trucks. But if memory serves the parts had a negative effect on the emissions which was the catalyst. If my car passes emissions with my aftermarket parts, I don’t see how the statute would hold up in court.
I will do some more research and circle back
Thank you again for your well thought out contribution to the discussion.
Best
CDNA

·
Registered
355 Posts
Absolutely. If it passes emissions, I don't believe it would stand up. Same with noise decibel on exhaust setups. If it passes inspections and you receive the sticker, you're assumed to be good around my neck of the woods. What I'm getting at is that passing an inspection would be the key.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Absolutely. If it passes emissions, I don't believe it would stand up. Same with noise decibel on exhaust setups. If it passes inspections and you receive the sticker, you're assumed to be good around my neck of the woods. What I'm getting at is that passing an inspection would be the key.
Yep! I don’t think they are really concerned with a new exhaust that doesn’t affect the emissions.
The shop they went after was marketing a device that did. However, it would be prudent to keep an eye on it and consider what your plan of action would be if your car failed an emissions or safety
Inspection. Personally I would put the stock pipes back, and once it passes the hoops, ....😏

·
Registered
355 Posts
YPersonally I would put the stock pipes back, and once it passes the hoops, ....😏
Exactly. The inspection sticker is the key. I doubt the police will be on the road carrying the technology to check for emissions.

Reactions: CDNA

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Exactly. The inspection sticker is the key. I doubt the police will be on the road carrying the technology to check for emissions.
Roger that! Great minds think alike!
Best
CDNA

·
Registered
385 Posts
Way out of my area of knowledge but maybe in 10 to 15 years it'll all be academic anyway. "They'll" just insist that if you want to roam around in a 4 wheeled box it must be all or part electric.

All this legislation might be to lay the groundwork for uninspiring but "green" cars and purge the desire to personalise, after all there's gonna be a lot less opportunity with batteries.

P.S. I wonder how are the climate chappies are gonna deal with a billion dead lithium batteries? (Sorry, I'l go back to my music now).

1 - 20 of 28 Posts