Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The subject pretty much says it all. Do any of you use ethanol-free gasoline in your cars? I can get it in my area, but only at a few locations and none of them are particularly convenient. Is it beneficial enough that I should make the extra effort to get it as opposed to premium (91+) 10% ethanol gas?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I only use it in my 78 Ferrari as it runs better with the carbs. Cars back then were not built to use ethanol. As to my 124...no way...too expensive and just not needed. I also do not us 91, 89 does a fine job JP

·
Registered
351 Posts
The only benefit you'll get from burning non-ethanol gasoline is about 3% better gas mileage. It's just fuel. It gets burned to make power.

Cars and their fuel systems have been designed around the assumption that the fuel will contain some ethanol for about 40 years. There's nothing there that the ethanol could damage.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I am, nothing but ethanol free. And I cannot give you a single objective, rational reason why. Just makes the car feel something extra special to me, I guess.

That, and growing corn to make a gasoline additive is a net loss proposition. So maybe I'm doing my immeasurable part to spite the ethanol industry.

Steve.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Not if it means lower octane.

·
Registered
23 Posts
It’s easy to find around here at 93 and 94 octane.
I use it because I hate the idea of using corn to feed cars.
Not to mention it f*cks up my motorcycles.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I’d fill the car up with it if I was planning to store it for any length of time. Otherwise, no.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I use it to run the weed eaters, trimmers, edgers, blowers and all the small 2 and 4 cycle equipment around the farm. It is only 89 Octane in NC, so the spider gets high test which id 93 octane around here. Oh, and the boat gets non ethanol as well. Yamaha prefers it that way

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
A non-techy article on various plants used for fuel. As soon as we leave corn and move to switchgrass for ethanol, I'll reconsider.
https://interestingengineering.com/seven-biofuel-crops-use-fuel-production

"This plant has the greatest potential to cure our addiction to the use of fossil fuels. Unlike corn, switchgrass has a form of cellulose that uses less energy to convert to ethanol than from processing fossil fuels. Switchgrass's cellulose ethanol contains more energy than corn ethanol. Although there are not currently large plantations of this crop scientists are currently working on methods to exploit this plant in the future.

Researchers at the Auburn University in Alabama have grown test plots of the plant to produce 15 tonnes of biomass per acre. It is believed that each acre of the crop will allow for the production of 4,350 liters of ethanol, every day!"

Steve.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Doesn’t ethanol effectively increase octane rating?

·
Registered
172 Posts
I’m sure as **** no expert on this subject, what I do know is that any ethanol fuel will screw up any small engine if left in the tank for any amount of time without being treated. To all the experts out there is it true that real gas, gas without ethanol, will give you better gas mileage?

·
Registered
155 Posts
I’m sure as **** no expert on this subject, what I do know is that any ethanol fuel will screw up any small engine if left in the tank for any amount of time without being treated. To all the experts out there is it true that real gas, gas without ethanol, will give you better gas mileage?
Yes, ethanol reduces mpg.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Ethanol has less BTU per volume than gasoline. That's only part of the overall story.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline_gallon_equivalent

I'm all for reducing fossil fuel use, but we need to be even smarter with what we replace it with. Corn is not the answer. Electricity *from the grid* is not the answer. Switch grass and similar high energy level renewables are part of the answer. Electrical generation on-site of use (off the grid) is part of the answer. Plug-in car owners need to see beyond the end of their extension cords; may be better than gasoline, but terrible in the terms of energy losses/inefficiencies charging the car from the grid.

Steve.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
We need cold fusion.

·
Registered
414 Posts
It’s easy to find around here at 93 and 94 octane.
I use it because I hate the idea of using corn to feed cars.
Not to mention it f*cks up my motorcycles.
Unfortunately, that's more political than rational. I can't remember the last time a bunch of terrorists from a sugar cane growing country stole airplanes and crashed them into our skyscrapers, but for some reason, our government really like high can import tariffs. Use corn to make corn flakes, use sugar cane to make ethanol, and we could all be truly a little more "green." Just like anything, though... follow the money and the power.

Now, on to "ethanol free" for engine reasons - I do the opposite. I convert all my motor vehicles to run on at least 30% ethanol. Not to be a tree hugger (thought I do appreciate the potential renewable aspect) but because ethanol is a single chemical, and gasoline is chemical SOUP. Combustion is better, cleaner, and turbos love it (you can advance timing more than with gasoline). And if there's ever a zombie apocalypse, I can make my own ethanol, but not my own gasoline ;)

Many of the arguments I've heard against alcohol are based on a truth, but skewed. The corrosion factor is one, which is much more serious an issue with methanol (wood alcohol). Another is hygroscopic nature, which is true, but alcohol will carry water from the tank to be evacuated in microscopic quantities, whereas pure gasoline would actually let it accumulate to a level that could cause a no-start situation, since it separates. Another is BTU content. Yes, alcohol has less BTU than gasoline, but BTU (British Thermal Units) is no more a translation of traction power than watts is the brightness of a light bulb. Per gallon, gasoline has 112k BTU, while 100% ethanol has 76k BTU. But kerosene has 134k BTU! So why aren't we running cars on kerosene? Because kerosene sucks as a fuel for modern internal combustion engines. BTU alone does not make a fuel more or less appropriate or efficient.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Ethanol has less BTU per volume than gasoline. That's only part of the overall story.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline_gallon_equivalent

I'm all for reducing fossil fuel use, but we need to be even smarter with what we replace it with. Corn is not the answer. Electricity *from the grid* is not the answer. Switch grass and similar high energy level renewables are part of the answer. Electrical generation on-site of use (off the grid) is part of the answer. Plug-in car owners need to see beyond the end of their extension cords; may be better than gasoline, but terrible in the terms of energy losses/inefficiencies charging the car from the grid.

Steve.
An electric car is essentially a Coal Powered Car. A lot of our electricity comes from coal. I know this because I work in a coal burning power plant.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Unfortunately, that's more political than rational. I can't remember the last time a bunch of terrorists from a sugar cane growing country stole airplanes and crashed them into our skyscrapers, but for some reason, our government really like high can import tariffs. Use corn to make corn flakes, use sugar cane to make ethanol, and we could all be truly a little more "green." Just like anything, though... follow the money and the power.

Now, on to "ethanol free" for engine reasons - I do the opposite. I convert all my motor vehicles to run on at least 30% ethanol. Not to be a tree hugger (thought I do appreciate the potential renewable aspect) but because ethanol is a single chemical, and gasoline is chemical SOUP. Combustion is better, cleaner, and turbos love it (you can advance timing more than with gasoline). And if there's ever a zombie apocalypse, I can make my own ethanol, but not my own gasoline ;)

Many of the arguments I've heard against alcohol are based on a truth, but skewed. The corrosion factor is one, which is much more serious an issue with methanol (wood alcohol). Another is hygroscopic nature, which is true, but alcohol will carry water from the tank to be evacuated in microscopic quantities, whereas pure gasoline would actually let it accumulate to a level that could cause a no-start situation, since it separates. Another is BTU content. Yes, alcohol has less BTU than gasoline, but BTU (British Thermal Units) is no more a translation of traction power than watts is the brightness of a light bulb. Per gallon, gasoline has 112k BTU, while 100% ethanol has 76k BTU. But kerosene has 134k BTU! So why aren't we running cars on kerosene? Because kerosene sucks as a fuel for modern internal combustion engines. BTU alone does not make a fuel more or less appropriate or efficient.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Another is hygroscopic nature, which is true, but alcohol will carry water from the tank to be evacuated in microscopic quantities, whereas pure gasoline would actually let it accumulate to a level that could cause a no-start situation, since it separates.
Good point I had not considered. This being the case, would it then be a good idea, when running exclusively non-ethanol fuel, to periodically run a tank of ethanol gas, or alternately a bottle of Heet, or its brother Iso-Heet, to scavenge and remove any accumulated water in the gas tank?

Steve.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Good point I had not considered. This being the case, would it then be a good idea, when running exclusively non-ethanol fuel, to periodically run a tank of ethanol gas, or alternately a bottle of Heet, or its brother Iso-Heet, to scavenge and remove any accumulated water in the gas tank?

Steve.
Maybe. Without ethanol, I'd find out, if possible, what your favorite gas uses for an oxygenate, and see if it, too, is water soluble. Then you'd know you shouldn't have an issue anyway.
Those tiny auto parts store size bottles aren't really enough to draw out much accumulated water from a full tank, and if you're worried about a lot of water, you'd want to do "something" on a full tank, not mostly empty, so the drawing out can happen gradually. If E85 was absolutely not available where I lived, and it was a concern, I'd run a gallon of denatured ethanol (you can usually find that at a hardware store) in a full tank of gas (so you're still running basically E10 - E15). They put a tiny amount of methanol or other poison in the alcohol to make sure if someone tries to use it medicinally, they are poisoned by it (thanks, FDA, lol) but the methanol amount is very small, so using it once and using it all up in a week or two of driving isn't going to hurt anything. You can request MSDS sheets from the mfg that would specify methanol and other contents, and they're usually happy to oblige.

·
Registered
304 Posts
The subject pretty much says it all. Do any of you use ethanol-free gasoline in your cars? I can get it in my area, but only at a few locations and none of them are particularly convenient. Is it beneficial enough that I should make the extra effort to get it as opposed to premium (91+) 10% ethanol gas?
Ethanol reduces knock despite being used with identical knock ratings and it also adds a bit of cooling. In a performance car, you’d probably never notice a difference in mileage and I know I haven’t.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts