Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Vendor
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We have released the self tuning software package for Euro+Drive Lite. The self tuning software enables you to make your own tunes AND it allows you to easily switch between different tunes. The package comes with 5 ready to run tunes, Dynamic, Dynamic+, Race, Race+, and Dimsport's tune.

We also include 8 tunes that are intended to serve as a starting point for self tuning. These base maps are not intended to be run as is, they are simply there to give you a base to work from. There is a lot of flexibility with this package. Of course we include an excellent and complete instruction manual. The package is a free download on the eurocompulsion.net site.

I am proud to say that we worked directly with Dimsport to improve this software and I am very happy with the result. I am NOT a computer guy, I have people working here who are, but computers are not my thing. So, it was very important to me that this software be easy to use, and at least somewhat intuitive.

If you haven't seen Euro+Drive Lite, it's a module that alters boost to increase performance. The hardware is made in Italy by Dimsport and I think it's the best on the market. I could have used hardware from anyone, I chose this system because it's the best. It's rugged and offers gains in performance the other boxes just don't match.

Here is a picture of the module itself:

Now let's look at the new software, then I'll briefly describe its functions:

This is pretty simple. The blue line represents the stock boost curve. Note it's shape is not relevant here, it's just a reference line to work from. The orange line's distance from the blue line represents the changes to the stock boost level. This particular map is Dimsport's US 124 map. On this map, the orange line is an equal distance from the blue line from about 2300rpm (essentially when boost starts) up until about 6000rpm. From there it goes down a bit. This brings the boost closer to the stock values, and if you manage to somehow get the engine to 7000rpm boost will return to stock values.

The boxes below have up and down arrows (they look like triangles) above and below the numbers. You simply click these arrows to increase or decrease the values. As an example, the "SET START" number in the example shown in 28. That's the number than controls the overall boost increase. If you want more boost, you raise it, less you lower it.

As an example our Dynamic map is set to 30 and has a very different curve at higher rpm. The self tuning version of the software has a maximum value of 35. However, if you are sure of what you are doing, and need a higher number you can go all the way to 60 by using our base maps and then modifying them for your needs. You can adjust the curve, although with the self tuning software you can only move it down, and then only at two points, which is what you see in the sample shown. Only the full professional software can move the curve up, and with good reason. However, again, if you have a good understanding of tuning, you can use our official maps, or the self tuning base maps to access various curves that are effective on this engine.

My official recommendation is to use the software to switch maps, or to make small changes. For example you could make a map that's right between Dynamic and Race. Or you could move the Dimsport map up to 35. With those small changes you are very safe. If you crank it right up to 60 with a highly modded curve on a stock engine, I would not expect good results.

That's it in a nutshell. Of course the actual instructions are lot more detailed, and my team and I are usually around to help.

The PLUS versions of the new maps are slightly more aggressive versions of the normal Dynamic and Race maps. The only differences are in power from 6000-6500, so they do not increase peak power, but the do add power up at the very top of the rpm range.

OH, and we now have an alternative way that may make installation of the module a lot easier for those of you with big hands, or arthritis.
Getting at the cam position sensor is quite easy this way. You can remove the plastic cowling that covers the windshield wiper mechanism and then unbolt a metal access plate. Then there is tons of room (well....relatively) to get your hand in there and access that sensor's electrical plug. I'll post pictures and instructions on this another time.

Greg

Attachments

·
Vendor
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Before I forget, the package can be downloaded at eurocompulsion.net . Once there, go to "technical" then portal access. Login with your included credentials. If you don't have them, shoot an email over to tuning at eurocompulsion.net and include your name and module's serial number. You will need a connection cable to connect the module to your computer. It's not cheap at around 100 bucks, but there is no way around that. These cables will be in stock today or tomorrow and I'll have exact pricing then.

Oh, and one more thing, with the self tuning software you can literally emulate the exact performance of all the other boxes currently on the market. In other words you can put on what is essentially their map. I don't know why you would want to do that, but the capability is there.

Greg

·
Registered
69 Posts
Greg, it seems you guys at EC continue to bring advances to the after market. I can't wait for your flash product! Keep on track! I don't even have my car yet but would purchase your product in anticipation. I'll let you know when my AT Abarth arrives and hereby commit to purchase and beta test your flash product if you are looking for volunteers.
Thanks,
Drew

·
Vendor
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Greg,

How does this work with those of us who already have the EDL? Thanks.
Hi Pure,

Good question. Shoot us an email and we will get you your login. Then download and look at the software, read the instructions. When you feel comfortable with it and if you decide you want to try other maps or the self tuning, buy the cable and you are good to go!

Greg

·
Vendor
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Greg, it seems you guys at EC continue to bring advances to the after market. I can't wait for your flash product! Keep on track! I don't even have my car yet but would purchase your product in anticipation. I'll let you know when my AT Abarth arrives and hereby commit to purchase and beta test your flash product if you are looking for volunteers.
Thanks,
Drew
Thanks Drew. We are trying. The ECU tune is a different animal, I'll start another thread on that product soon. I wouldn't say that it's better or worse. Both offer advantages and now that it's easier to install EDL, change tunes, and self tune, the gap is pretty narrow for the typical customer. Now for someone who is going for 300hp via an upgraded turbo and cam, Euro+Drive Lite wouldn't be the right choice.

Greg

·
Retired Moderator
676 Posts
Greg,

Programming appears to be quite simple..I will most likely stick with canned tunes that you guys have in place. Is there an area where I can see the boost curves for Dynamic+...Race...and Race+??

·
Vendor
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Greg,

Programming appears to be quite simple..I will most likely stick with canned tunes that you guys have in place. Is there an area where I can see the boost curves for Dynamic+...Race...and Race+??
The user's version of the software is intended to be fairly simple. I think most people will be able to figure it all out. Just be sure and read the instructions.

You can see all the tunes, and most of the tune's details. To do this you load the tune you want to look at into the software and it will display on the screen. You will be able to see all the numerical parameters and the orange line so you can see exactly what change we made and where. You do not need to connect your module to do this, so you can start poking around in there anytime you want.

Greg

P.S. to see the difference in the "+" maps look at the orange line above 6000rpm.

·
Retired Moderator
676 Posts
The user's version of the software is intended to be fairly simple. I think most people will be able to figure it all out. Just be sure and read the instructions.

You can see all the tunes, and most of the tune's details. To do this you load the tune you want to look at into the software and it will display on the screen. You will be able to see all the numerical parameters and the orange line so you can see exactly what change we made and where. You do not need to connect your module to do this, so you can start poking around in there anytime you want.

Greg

P.S. to see the difference in the "+" maps look at the orange line above 6000rpm.
One other question can I load the TPMLite software multiple times??...on my desktop and also on my laptop?? Thanks.

·
Registered
261 Posts
One other question can I load the TPMLite software multiple times??...on my desktop and also on my laptop?? Thanks.
Yes, I believe you can do this. It should recognize the module serial number no matter what device you plug into.

·
Retired Moderator
676 Posts

Greg

When I try to load an epi file to look at an error comes up USB not connected...what am I doing wrong?:confused:

Figured it out...

·
Vendor
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got some clarification from Toby on this. You can put the software on as many computers as you want and they will all work with your module.

Now, it gets confusing if you have more than one module, perhaps you have two cars with Euro+Drive Lite, or your friend comes over and you guys want to change tunes on both modules, that's where it's a little more complex. Once you connect your module to the computer and upload or download a tune to it, then that copy of the software will be associated with that module. So if you had a second module for some reason, you would need to download another copy of the software to use with the new module. Since the software is free, I don't see it as a problem, but it could be confusing.

Greg

·
Registered
57 Posts
Just a general question. I see what the EDL is getting hp and torque wise on just a stock 124. My question is do you have any data as far as those (me) who want to run an intake, exhaust and cam?

·
Vendor
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just a general question. I see what the EDL is getting hp and torque wise on just a stock 124. My question is do you have any data as far as those (me) who want to run an intake, exhaust and cam?
Hi jks9256. That's a good question. We do have tons of data on that. With intakes it's pretty much what you would expect. If you add a V1, V2, or V4 you get about an extra 5, 7, or 9hp respectively. Keep in mind the V2 varies a bit since it's the only one of the three that's significantly effected by lack of airflow if the car sits still for a while.

Regarding exhaust, we do have data on that as well. We tested a high flow crossover and a super short system that dumped under the car just aft of the firewall. This was done as a test and we took the opportunity to see what the maximum possible gains would be from an exhaust system without replacing the downpipe (which nobody has at this time). We were not super thorough for this test we were mostly just looking for problems and getting an idea of the value of going certain directions with product development.

I am going to use Remus exhaust as an example. They make very high quality systems and really know their stuff. The dyno chart for the Remus system shows a gain of about 2.6 percent. They did the test on a Euro 124, so I would expect the gains on a US car to be a little higher. We saw about 3.5 percent with the system we tested, but it was a totally non streetable (there is a video on our site) non practical set up. So I would guess that a really good exhaust system like the Remus or another would give you about a 3 percent gain in horsepower.

The camshaft is another matter. It was designed to help power throughout the rpm range, but it's primary function is to allow an honest and practical 7000rpm redline. Since Euro+Drive Lite can't change the rev limiter, I never really thought about using the cam with EDL and I don't have any data on that. Now I can say that it's possible to get this engine up to about 300 flywheel horsepower with that cam, big turbo, big intercooler, big downpipe, complete ECU re-write and quite a few other mods. That's really what that product was designed for. If I had to guess, I would say that with EDL it would probably give about 10-15hp, but I don't know for sure.

Greg

·
Vendor
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The self tuning cables are now in stock, we should have pricing up tomorrow.

Greg

·
Registered
165 Posts
On a slightly different subject, Greg. Why would I want "extended bolts" on the GFB DV+; and what is the replacement interval for the air filter on the V4 induction system? Is this filter readily available?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts