Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A recent underbody inspection of my car revealed that the right hand side (US passenger side) intercooler piping was rubbing against a sharp bolt/rivet on top of the steering gear shaft. It's hard to see in the below photo, but the piping is almost worn all the way through. It has not penetrated the kevlar layer yet so as of now, no boost leak.

For now, I have placed several layers of black duct tape over the area but It will eventually wear through. I recommend everyone inspect their hoses for similar wear. There is a relatively easy fix that is more permanent. A small piece of tin sandwiched between a protective layer and taped or glued over the vulnerable areas would provide sufficient protection. Another idea I have is to 3D print a small plastic brace that would lift up and support the piping just enough to clear the steering shaft. My drawing below isn't good but gives you an idea of what I'm talking about. Unfortunately, I have no way to create this brace but some of you might. I did not observe any degradations on the left hand side piping. I have about 5,800 miles on the EC intercooler at this point.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Well I need to do an oil change this weekend, I guess it's time to take a close look.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. Curious if an adjustment could be made with the piping? Like move it an 1/8 inch up on the securing sides( at the ends with clamps)...there by giving it more room?

aloha mike

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the heads up. Curious if an adjustment could be made with the piping? Like move it an 1/8 inch up on the securing sides( at the ends with clamps)...there by giving it more room?

aloha mike
I looked at several different ways to move or support it. I tried zip-tying it up but that was a no go also. The Karcepts sway bar is the only thing above the piping in that area (on my car) that could support it and I didn't want to tie anything to a moving rod. As you know, there are only so many places the intercooler piping will go and then it kind of moves and flexes where it wants to until it meets resistance. It is gently laying across the top of the steering shaft but thousands of miles of vibrations are slowly eating through that one spot. I think this piping would literally last forever if the areas where it rubs against something else can be protected. A few dollars worth of tin patches would do the trick, I think.

·
Vendor
3,086 Posts
Keep in mind, there are many layers of silicone and kevlar sandwiched together. That's not even through the first layer of silicone. I don't think it will ever wear all the way through, because the kevlar is really tough. That said, a little foam patch or somthing for it to rest on there would not be a bad idea, and would stop that wear in its tracks.

Greg

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Keep in mind, there are many layers of silicone and kevlar sandwiched together. That's not even through the first layer of silicone. I don't think it will ever wear all the way through, because the kevlar is really tough. That said, a little foam patch or somthing for it to rest on there would not be a bad idea, and would stop that wear in its tracks.

Greg
You know what? I bet something like @XtremeRevolution 's sound deadening material would work perfectly as protection. There are only just a few places that are cause for concern. I hope you're right about how many layers there are there. When I folded it with my fingers it felt very thin there.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
You know what? I bet something like @XtremeRevolution 's sound deadening material would work perfectly as protection. There are only just a few places that are cause for concern. I hope you're right about how many layers there are there. When I folded it with my fingers it felt very thin there.
Now can I find my leftover tiles?

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
A recent underbody inspection of my car revealed that the right hand side (US passenger side) intercooler piping was rubbing against a sharp bolt/rivet on top of the steering gear shaft. It's hard to see in the below photo, but the piping is almost worn all the way through. It has not penetrated the kevlar layer yet so as of now, no boost leak.

View attachment 73871

View attachment 73872

For now, I have placed several layers of black duct tape over the area but It will eventually wear through. I recommend everyone inspect their hoses for similar wear. There is a relatively easy fix that is more permanent. A small piece of tin sandwiched between a protective layer and taped or glued over the vulnerable areas would provide sufficient protection. Another idea I have is to 3D print a small plastic brace that would lift up and support the piping just enough to clear the steering shaft. My drawing below isn't good but gives you an idea of what I'm talking about. Unfortunately, I have no way to create this brace but some of you might. I did not observe any degradations on the left hand side piping. I have about 5,800 miles on the EC intercooler at this point.

View attachment 73873
Thanks Steve. Excellent post for the community at large. There are many EC FMICs out there that need to heed your warning. I need to get the car on the lift and check it out. Preventive maintenance now to circumvent future problems. Good find.

Dan

·
Registered
3,070 Posts

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Hmmmm are we spending each other’s money? AGAIN!!!!????

aloha mike

·
Vendor
3,086 Posts
Just to make sure I am being 100% clear. If any of our intercooler kit customers have a hose that wears all the way through to the point where it fails, we will of course replace it. However, I haven't seen one wear all the way through, or even past the first layer of Kevlar, so I'm not too worried about it.

We have been in the Fiat market since the early1980's and won't be bailing out now. We are actually adding new 124 performance products and we will be here to support you.

Greg

·
Registered
53 Posts
This makes me nervous since I just got my Eurocompulsion FMIC installed.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This makes me nervous since I just got my Eurocompulsion FMIC installed.
No need to be nervous. Just check in about 1000 miles and see where it might be rubbing against something and then protect that area. Like @Greg says, it may never fail but why let it get rubbed down if you can do a little maintenance to protect it?

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I found one last piece of sound deadening material that was just the right size to cover the area I needed. The duct tape I had placed over it was already wearing through after only 115 miles. Plus it makes a mess when you pull it off. The sound deadening has a small piece of metal on one side which will do the trick nicely I think.

I did find another wear spot over the right side motor mount just before the hose bends and goes to the throttle body. It hasn't gouged the rubber yet so should be OK for a while. I'll get another piece of material to put over it just in case. Easy fix if you have some of this stuff lying around.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Hmmmm are we spending each other’s money? AGAIN!!!!????

aloha mike
and it's not even you starting the trouble this time, lol 😁

1 - 20 of 24 Posts