Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As winter fades and I find myself increasingly behind the wheel of my Spider once again, I am considering adding a CAI to go with the RoadsterSport complete exhaust I got last year.

I reviewed the differences between V1, V2 and V4 on EC's website. I am good with what V4 has to offer.

Questions for those in the know:
  1. If you were to add a CAI, would you go with EC V4?
  2. While EC claims HP increases for V1 and V2, it makes no HP increases claims for V4. Anyone has any idea what it might be?
  3. EC claims V4 to be a straighforward installation with no unexpected codes. Anything else I should know about?

Thanks in advance!

Aldo

·
Registered
130 Posts
Just about two weeks ago swapped V4 to V1. Had leak in T connector. After battery reboot car feels way better..

This T connector supposed to have some element similar to one in OEM box to reduce air leak, when I remove hoses I find it to be cheap one from any car parts store without anything inside. It was sent with hoses attached so I had no idea about cause of perf problems.
I had ones error code with it.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm...that is disappointing to hear.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
I have the V4 and I would buy it again. Their HP claims are on the product page, and there’s a link to more in depth info about their intakes.

F735AF10-EC2B-48FA-B052-AC3D745C1661.jpeg

·
Registered
253 Posts
I would not buy the V4 again. It is a humongous pain to get it to stay on the factory fresh air inlet duct. I also had extreme difficulty in fitting the hoses back in the tube that goes to the throttle body on the initial install. The mess of hoses that were provided were way too long, as well. I have since sold the car it was on and now I have an Abarth. I plan on sticking with the V1 and the factory airbox and upgraded panel filter.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Mine hasn’t come off the factory inlet since I installed it nearly 3 years ago. I didn’t have an issue installing the evap hose to the cold side pipe, but I have small hands and arms. The supplied hoses can be trimmed if one thinks they are too long 🤷🏻‍♂️

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would not buy the V4 again. It is a humongous pain to get it to stay on the factory fresh air inlet duct. I also had extreme difficulty in fitting the hoses back in the tube that goes to the throttle body on the initial install. The mess of hoses that were provided were way too long, as well. I have since sold the car it was on and now I have an Abarth. I plan on sticking with the V1 and the factory airbox and upgraded panel filter.
Were you getting codes?

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I purchased a used, original model, from a forum member years ago. I had a code when cruising at highway speed intermittently. EC replaced the hoses/t-piece with the updated version and code went away.

fitment was no problem, except for the turbo connection next to the GFB valve, which is slightly larger than OEM, making it tricky to get the hose clamp on the intake.

i would definitely buy the V4 again. While some say it’s not necessary for performance reasons, it was the first engine mod I did and definitely felt a bit more pep.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That sounds more encouraging. I like that you actually felt the difference in pep.

If for some reason I can’t get those hoses in, worse comes worse I guess I could take it to my local independent shop. Can’t imagine they’d charge me much for finishing the job.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So it sounds like the initial batch of V4s had some issues, but EC corrected them?

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
So it sounds like the initial batch of V4s had some issues, but EC corrected them?
Yes, the V4 was revised.

1. The evap port was moved to help prevent oil incursion into the intake tube.

2. The venturi in the evap T was changed to mitigate the evap CEL. On some cars the CEL can still happen, and if it does EC will provide a different size venturi. The connections at the T should also be clamped. I believe EC includes clamps now. EC has a YouTube video for troubleshooting evap codes.

3. The hose barbs for connecting the EC hoses to the OEM evap couplers were improved.

4. The filter canister is now sealed with silicone to prevent it from leaking oil into the engine bay if some oil from the system enters it.

5. The silicone tubes are now Kevtek reinforced.

6. The turbo side tube was shortened by a few millimeters to improve fitment.
I may have missed one or two things. There’s a whole thread about the intake. EC listened to complaints and feedback and improved their product, and provided free upgrades to people that had the original V4. They have excellent customer service and they care about their customers.

I have never had an evap code with the intake. It doesn’t happen for most people.

·
Registered
130 Posts
[QUOTE="sharkcohen, post: 511686, member: 5898"
]The venturi in the evap T was changed to mitigate the evap CEL. On some cars the CEL can still happen, and if it does EC will provide a different size venturi. The connections at the T should also be clamped. I believe EC includes clamps now. EC has a YouTube video for troubleshooting evap codes.
[/QUOTE]
Only problem I find no Venturi in my T connector... Originally it was delivered with hoses attached. There was one moment when I heard some pop from engine with air sound after, after that I never had pressure going above 19 psi..
As I mentioned previously, replacing of V4 to V1 fixed boost problem.
I don't know is this was issue with quality of that T connector or something else..
Problem is most of owners would not even find about this problem, it was not like killing performance significantly, it just lowered it a bit.. But you can't call this performance upgrade...

·
Registered
182 Posts
I'm happy with the V4 that I bought and installed in December. No codes, noticeable increase in response and sound (though I should note that I installed a GFB DV+ at the same time). It's even better with the EC Phase 1 tune that I put on a few days later :).

Installation was smooth and the parts and connectors were all high quality. The evap hoses are a bit long, but I wanted to route them out of the way so that worked well. They could be trimmed depending on how you want to do it as well. The connection at the turbo alongside the GFB DV is tight, but not terrible as it's readily accessible. No complaints on my end.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Only problem I find no Venturi in my T connector... Originally it was delivered with hoses attached. There was one moment when I heard some pop from engine with air sound after, after that I never had pressure going above 19 psi..
As I mentioned previously, replacing of V4 to V1 fixed boost problem.
I don't know is this was issue with quality of that T connector or something else..
Problem is most of owners would not even find about this problem, it was not like killing performance significantly, it just lowered it a bit.. But you can't call this performance upgrade...
Are you sure that the venturi never fell out when you have had the hoses off of the T? Did you ever contact EC regarding the issue? They would take care of the issue.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I installed the V4 last winter. I’m strictly shade tree mechanic who is all thumbs. Installation was straight forward. Every 600 miles or so when cruising at 65-70 car would throw a P1CEA code. I live approx 25 miles from EC. Drove by and Jordan said installation looked good. Continued to throw code. Jordan sent me new hoses which looked like original. Still got code. Approx 1500 miles ago removed V4 and replaced with factory inlet and have had no codes. I suspect codes were caused by me but cannot figure why. If I get bored may try again.

I’m 69 and retired. Don’t race just use car for running around town. I do like to get on it to hear the Goodwin exhaust. By seat of pants don’t really notice any difference in performance. I will admit the V4 does really improve the looks of the engine bay, especially in red.
I have a friend who has 12000 trouble free miles with his V4.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
My V4 will throw a code now and then, I just erase it. I have the new hoses, just need to install

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sounds like throwing codes are more common than EC makes it sound.

I’m not very mechanically inclined. I make a living crunching numbers. I can do an installation as long as I have a very clear set of instructions and lots of room. The moment the car starts throwing codes, I’m at a complete loss.

Hmmm...

·
Registered
82 Posts
I should add the codes did not effect the performance. Was just frustrating.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Here is my experience with the V4. It looks great and adds some great sounds to the driving experience when the top is down. As for performance, I doubt that it adds any real power. Any perceived power is more likely due to the weight reduction in your wallet.

Here is a quote from Good-Win Racing:

We don't assume an intake will help, we actually do testing. What our testing has found is no gains whatsoever for intake change until somewhere about 250 hp at the wheels or more. Did this testing on both Fiat and ND Miata (ND uses same intake box for bigger 2.0 liter motor). Did that testing with supercharger attached to the same box on ND with bigger 2.0 motor, and with turbo 2.0 and same intake box. The results of our testing are that the stock Mazda provided intake box flows really REALLY well. I know it is popular around here to change the intake box, and lots of folks just assume an aftermarket intake will flow better, but there is no data we can find to support a conclusion that changing the intake on this car gets anything positive.

After I first installed it I did have a P1CEA error pop up while cruising on the freeway. I spoke with EC support (who answered the phone on the second ring - kuddos!) and they informed me that it was 99.9% of the time due to a leak in the evap lines. I pulled the system off and re-installed checking all the fittings (I did add some teflon tape to one of the evap fittings to get rid of some percieved slop) and added hose clamps to every line. That was 2K miles ago and no codes since.

In short, yes I would buy it again.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts