Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming into my 15K service. I get a CEL. Dealer reports that it's an EVAP issue, which I have had before. The first one was due to the service monkey not tightening the gas cap when they fueled the car upon delivery.
After five days, and providing me with a loaner, they report that the EVAP sensor failed, and that resulted in the CEL. Not to worry, they said, we removed it and deleted the failure from history. Car will operate fine and we've ordered the part.
This was all in early October and the part was to arrive 10/21. My registration expired at end of October and I need an inspection.
The part never arrived, and the new date is 12/2. So, I'm expecting that I can't register my car. Dealer is useless - suggests I call "Alfa Cares". Evidently Fiat doesn't care anymore, and the dealer doesn't care at all, so now I'm with the high-end make. I have a case number and someone is chasing the issue. I'm not confident.

Meanwhile, the rusty wheels in my head are turning and it occurs to me that the test equipment might not detect the absence of the EVAP sensor. It threw a CEL due to it's failure, so the system thinks "no news is good news". It only squawks on a failure. So this AM my car passed the TX State inspection and I have a back-dated registration. Very relieved!
At this point I'm wondering if it's worth having a replacement sensor installed? The techician told me the car is known for throwing bogus CELs over the EVAP sensor. It's just another bullshit failure point.

best regards
Pete

·
Registered
356 Posts
I was checking on the interchangeability of parts between Fiat and Miata but couldn't find anything regarding the fuel system.
If you want to have a spare for 'just in case" here is a link to Redline auto parts. They have an entire evap system for sale for $99. FYI dealer gets over 450 for it.
Good luck!

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Does TX allow for one or more OBD2 monitors not in "ready" state? Your PCM probably reports that Evap is not "ready".

·
Registered
626 Posts
Interestingly, in the UK MoT test, a "major" advisory (= test failure) is supposed to be reported if "Engine MIL inoperative or indicating a malfunction" (MIL = malfunction indicator light, ie: CEL) However, it says earlier that "You need to inspect MIL fitted to diesel vehicles with 4 or more wheels and first used on or after 1 July 2008" thus implying that for petrol (gasoline) cars having the MIL/CEL stay on is not a fail?!

·
Super Moderator
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does TX allow for one or more OBD2 monitors not in "ready" state? Your PCM probably reports that Evap is not "ready".
Dunno! But I’m betting that the logic doesn’t expect the sensor to be absent. Otherwise I’d have a CEL, right?
Best regards
Pete

·
Registered
123 Posts
I was checking on the interchangeability of parts between Fiat and Miata but couldn't find anything regarding the fuel system.
If you want to have a spare for 'just in case" here is a link to Redline auto parts. They have an entire evap system for sale for $99. FYI dealer gets over 450 for it.
Good luck!
That evap part probably is totally different between the 2 engines.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Coming into my 15K service. I get a CEL. Dealer reports that it's an EVAP issue, which I have had before. The first one was due to the service monkey not tightening the gas cap when they fueled the car upon delivery.
After five days, and providing me with a loaner, they report that the EVAP sensor failed, and that resulted in the CEL. Not to worry, they said, we removed it and deleted the failure from history. Car will operate fine and we've ordered the part.
This was all in early October and the part was to arrive 10/21. My registration expired at end of October and I need an inspection.
The part never arrived, and the new date is 12/2. So, I'm expecting that I can't register my car. Dealer is useless - suggests I call "Alfa Cares". Evidently Fiat doesn't care anymore, and the dealer doesn't care at all, so now I'm with the high-end make. I have a case number and someone is chasing the issue. I'm not confident.

Meanwhile, the rusty wheels in my head are turning and it occurs to me that the test equipment might not detect the absence of the EVAP sensor. It threw a CEL due to it's failure, so the system thinks "no news is good news". It only squawks on a failure. So this AM my car passed the TX State inspection and I have a back-dated registration. Very relieved!
At this point I'm wondering if it's worth having a replacement sensor installed? The techician told me the car is known for throwing bogus CELs over the EVAP sensor. It's just another bullshit failure point.

best regards
Pete
Did the TX DMV have to close for covid19? Here in IL everything is pushed back. They closed the DMVs and extended the expiration dates for plates, smog checks, DL.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Emissions components and parts should be covered under the Federal Emissions Warranty. That warranty is much longer then the bumper-to-bumper and drive train warranties. Usually 7-10 years?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I am having a similar issue but it isn't very consistent. I am at 52k miles and only living a few hours south of you @pikeman in San Antonio. Not worried about passing inspection here since they do not test the emissions systems in my county. I am wondering what sensor it is in the engine bay so I can get my eyes o it and see if there is an easy solution other than just a replacement.

·
Super Moderator
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Emissions components and parts should be covered under the Federal Emissions Warranty. That warranty is much longer then the bumper-to-bumper and drive train warranties. Usually 7-10 years?
I’m pretty sure it’s 55000 miles.
Best regards
Pete

·
Super Moderator
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am having a similar issue but it isn't very consistent. I am at 52k miles and only living a few hours south of you @pikeman in San Antonio. Not worried about passing inspection here since they do not test the emissions systems in my county. I am wondering what sensor it is in the engine bay so I can get my eyes o it and see if there is an easy solution other than just a replacement.
The sensor is located in the back of the car. They removed panels inside the car to remove the part. I guess it’s a real PITA to access.
Best regards
Pete

1 - 11 of 11 Posts