Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks,

I've been struggling to find some information about what I'm dealing with but haven't had much luck. I recently disconnected my battery while changing spark plugs and after 800 miles or so, the EVAP readiness monitor still shows as incomplete, all other monitors are completed.

No codes, no symptoms.

I know EVAP systems can be particularly picky and require very specific conditions to be met but after 800 miles I'm beginning to get a bit concerned.

Anyone else run into similar issues?

·
Registered
351 Posts
I found this, maybe it will be helpful: Drive Cycle Issues: What to Do When the Drive Cycle Won't Complete

Most directly related to what you're reporting:
If the EVAP monitor is not ready, verify that your fuel cap is tight and the level of fuel is between 1/4 and 3/4 full. If all the other monitors are ready, then do a couple more "cold" starts. If the EVAP monitor still has not passed or set a pending or present code, then take your vehicle to a shop that employs technicians who are familiar with the Mode 6 Diagnosis.
So if you've done everything you can, get to somebody with Mode 6 diagnostics - your dealer probably qualifies.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks Tom, I stumbled across that yesterday so I'll have to give it a try.

Anyone have any particular experience with emissions? My ODBII device/app lets me look into Mode $06 data so perhaps I could self-diagnose before taking the car to the dealership. I also have to get my car tested for emissions in a few weeks (Maryland) not sure if they'll let me slide with one 'Not Ready' monitor.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts

Anyone have any particular experience with emissions? My ODBII device/app lets me look into Mode $06 data so perhaps I could self-diagnose before taking the car to the dealership. I also have to get my car tested for emissions in a few weeks (Maryland) not sure if they'll let me slide with one 'Not Ready' monitor.
I don't know about Maryland, but in CA you can have up to 3 "not ready" monitors and still pass. Check your state and local regs.

Reactions: 68wooley

·
Registered
2,214 Posts

You have to get a new car tested? Emissions testing is only required here on cars three or more years old. Sounds like a convenient money-maker for testing centers...

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You have to get a new car tested? Emissions testing is only required here on cars three or more years old. Sounds like a convenient money-maker for testing centers...
That's Maryland for you.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I don't know about Maryland, but in CA you can have up to 3 "not ready" monitors and still pass. Check your state and local regs.
I spoke to the service dept at the Annapolis, MD dealership and they said I should be okay from an emissions standpoint (MD will let one monitor slide). Thankfully

·
Registered
113 Posts
One thing you might try is a cold start cycle with a high load by putting on rear defroster and AC set at max.. let it warmup awhile and drive for a few miles. I did this and evap showed as ready next startup. Maybe a coincidence but was a tip I read on interwebs so it must be legit.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One thing you might try is a cold start cycle with a high load by putting on rear defroster and AC set at max.. let it warmup awhile and drive for a few miles. I did this and evap showed as ready next startup. Maybe a coincidence but was a tip I read on interwebs so it must be legit.
I attempted to do this yesterday before work and accidentally turned up the heat, haha. I'll try to do this correctly today. :D

·
Super Moderator
1,236 Posts
Interesting workaround

I'm getting repeated evaporation CEL at six months and am tempted to replace the gas cap just for the convenience of avoiding a trip to my dealer. I'll try this first ASAP.
Best regards
Pete

·
Registered
261 Posts
^^^This. Sounds crazy, but I've seen it work almost every time.

Excerpt of the method:

Cold start in the morning with the defroster and a/c at full - all lights - MAX load - for about 2-3 minutes, then drive under 3k rpm for a few miles and then spirited driving.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts

Excerpt of the method:

Cold start in the morning with the defroster and a/c at full - all lights - MAX load - for about 2-3 minutes, then drive under 3k rpm for a few miles and then spirited driving.
This was essentially what I did to clear it on two separate occasions. Only thing I'd add is have your gas tank at around 50% full.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Excerpt of the method:

Tried this early this morning and no luck, but perhaps I didn't drive under 3k for long enough.

Unfortunately this bit of information just dawned on me...In march my car wouldn't start after I had a GWR full exhaust system installed, you all probably saw my thread in this same forum section. There were various codes but mostly related to the ECU being disconnected (battery pulled) and the ultimate cause was believed to be because of multiple quick starts/shutdowns immediately after the exhaust work (car was running rich for awhile as others have experienced).

There was ONE PENDING code that struck me as odd, and it was P0444 - Evaporative Emission System Purge Control Valve Circuit Open. Unfortunately, it was cleared when everything was back up and running.

To my knowledge, if a monitor isn't set - it can't throw any codes...right? Perhaps that P0444 code wasn't a coincidence and is why the monitor isn't be set as 'Ready'? Just a thought.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I found this, maybe it will be helpful: Drive Cycle Issues: What to Do When the Drive Cycle Won't Complete

Most directly related to what you're reporting:

So if you've done everything you can, get to somebody with Mode 6 diagnostics - your dealer probably qualifies.
Thank you for your post. I used your process today and it cleared my blinking engine symbol, e.g. I'm ready to pass my emissions test. Context: I had to jump start the car back in Feb. Everything worked fine until I went for my NYS inspection. After I failed emissions I looked in the manual but it had incomplete info on how to clear the issue. THANK YOU AGAIN FOR YOUR POST!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts