Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever Wondered How The 124 Spider Abarth Gets it’s Flat-Black Stripe?

Aside from those gunmetal painted 17-inch aluminum wheels, the Fiat 124 Spider Abarth can also be recognized by the optional matte black stripe that spans the length of the car.

Originally added to rally cars in an effort to reduce sun glare in the drivers’ eyes, the feature pays homage to the 124 Abarth Rally, which won the ERC (European Rally Championship) in 1975 and placed in the top three positions of the World Rally Championship in 1974.

For an additional $1,995, buyers can get the Heritage Racing Stripe hand painted onto the Spider’s hood and trunk at its production facility in Hiroshima. Each one is first meticulously washed and dried before receiving an inspection via touch. Passing that, the hood and trunk lid is sanded by hand and then tape lines are applied. Each batch of paint is mixed in small quantities before it is hand sprayed onto the taped body panels.

Once cured the tape lines are removed, both pieces are polished by hand, reinstalled and then they receive a final inspection before getting shipped to its new home.

“When painting a masterpiece of this caliber, it deserves a performance to match. The result is a true work of art.”

·
Registered
107 Posts
Amen to that, at least in California. I searched far and wide and FINALLY found a Red Abarth with a Heritage Racing Stripe in Connecticut. Clearly, I have more dollars than cents, because I bought it and had it trucked out to California.

·
Premium Member
2,301 Posts
Clearly, I have more dollars than cents, because I bought it and had it trucked out to California.
Been there...done that..except over the ocean...with 4 different vehicles...:)

aloha

·
Registered
430 Posts
Amen to that, at least in California. I searched far and wide and FINALLY found a Red Abarth with a Heritage Racing Stripe in Connecticut. Clearly, I have more dollars than cents, because I bought it and had it trucked out to California.
Sounds like a missed opportunity to do a fly drive!

Paul

·
Registered
107 Posts
Sounds like a missed opportunity to do a fly drive!

Paul
Actually, I was going to do that with the Mazda MX-5 RF I had on order and was going to fly down to Pheonix to pick up. Drive to Joshua Tree, stay at 29 palms. Drive to Cambria, stay overnight. Drive home. But then I had to keep watching those darn 124 Spider videos......

·
Registered
242 Posts
Several have had vinyl wraps. There was a thread on it once. Everyone was positive about it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts