Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While driving last night, just about every warning light came on, the ignition button light started blinking red, and the speedometer stopped working. The car ran fine for the next two miles to my house. Has any experienced this? Is it an issue with the key fob?
IMG_20200315_005258.jpg

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Does the owner's manual address this? In my 2017 owner's manual, the chapter "Getting To Know Your Instrument Panel" explains all the lights, pages 40 and up. If you have the 7" display screen, you may be able to access maintenance and problem information. Also, you could use an OBDII scan tool device (lots of suggestions of versions to buy) that works with phone apps, plug the scan tool into the port under the dash in front of your left knee (left side steering wheel cars) and run the app on your phone.

I started this thread a couple years ago, this link starts at the message where I state what I'm buying for the OBDII scan tool and cord to attach to my phone. Other useful info up and down that thread. phone app engine code reader(s)

My first thought- battery and/or charging system. But guesses are all I've got. I hope you solve this quickly and cheaply.

Steve.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I scanned the manual, but didn't find anything addressing all the lights coming on at once. I've had the car less than a week and it has less than 400 miles. I'm inclined to think it may have been something to do with a key fob interaction. I'll look again and I will look at getting a code scanner. The service department is closed until tomorrow. Here's hoping it was a one time glitch. The most worrisome part was the speedometer dial dropping to zero and not registering speed.
I appreciate the advice! Enjoy your Sunday and stay safe!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Do you have the gear to measure battery voltage, and do you own a battery charger? Checking the "check your battery water level" sticky thread in the general discussion forum may be worthwhile. If water levels are low in the battery, topping the cells with distilled water, then a session on a battery charger, could resolve that possible issue. (Again, more guesses until someone a lot smarter than me chimes in.)

Steve.

·
Registered
2019 Fiat 124 Spider Lusso
100 Posts
I‘d venture to take the side of battery/voltage. Dash lighting up like a Christmas tree is a tell-tale sign of battery issues/voltage drops in the Alfa world, as well.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Go to any parts store (i.e. AutoZone, PepBoys, Discount, O'Riely's, etc.) and have them perform a battery test. If it's good, start the car and run a voltmeter across the terminals. A fully charged battery should be 12.7 Volts. With the car running that number should be a couple of Volts higher (and should go up with RPM) if the alternator is working correctly. You probably either have a bad battery, bad alternator, or both (bad alternator can ruin a good battery). Also check the water level. If low, add distilled water to the max level.

·
Registered
58 Posts
In my opinion could be either a battery drop as the others are saying or some issue with the keyfob itself, namely a battery that needs to be replaced. The best way to see it is connect an OBD scanner. Buy a cheap one on Amazon and connect it (the port is under the wheel, to the left) to display if there are any error messages.

·
Registered
104 Posts
While driving last night, just about every warning light came on, the ignition button light started blinking red, and the speedometer stopped working. The car ran fine for the next two miles to my house. Has any experienced this? Is it an issue with the key fob? View attachment 75282 View attachment 75282
Hello Cordova,
Sorry to hear about your recent troubles, I certainly understand why it would be concerning. If you are not able to remedy the concern based on the advice provided here, we kindly recommend connecting with your certified dealer for this. If you are in need of any additional assistance with that process, please feel free to send us a private message.
Laura
FiatCares

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you. I plan on going to this afternoon. This is my family's 6th Fiat, and have never had any major issues.

·
Premium Member
1,433 Posts
In my opinion could be either a battery drop as the others are saying or some issue with the keyfob itself, namely a battery that needs to be replaced. The best way to see it is connect an OBD scanner. Buy a cheap one on Amazon and connect it (the port is under the wheel, to the left) to display if there are any error messages.
A low fob battery warning would only show up as the single key icon being illuminated. Trust me on that, as I wait till it happens before I replace my fob batteries.... twice now, and the most recent just a month ago. I'd be putting my bets on it being something to do with the main battery for the vehicle. Your recommendation regarding an OBDII scanner is spot on. I found one that transmits over Bluetooth for around $20, and I use the Torque app on Android to read the results. The one I purchased a year ago isn't available anymore, but here's a link to a similar product. I like this type because it's low profile when plugged into the port, just remember to remove it when you're done your diagnostics so it doesn't risk draining your main battery when the vehicle is left unattended: OBDII Reader - Bluetooth 4.0

·
Registered
58 Posts
I like this type because it's low profile when plugged into the port, just remember to remove it when you're done your diagnostics so it doesn't risk draining your main battery when the vehicle is left unattended: OBDII Reader - Bluetooth 4.0
The one I bought here in Italy on Amazon is called Geker OBD2, made in China as most of them are and it works quite well, but I have seen that it is not sold on Amazon.com. However, from the experience I have gathered, the technology and software is pretty much the same across all models, so even a basic model should do the job. ;)

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Going this afternoon! Just happened over the weekend. Thanks for all the help.
What was the final diagnosis? The world is sitting on the edge of its collective seat in anticipation!

Steve.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So, I just got an email. They're unable to duplicate the issue. I took it in yesterday afternoon, and it's still in "the diagnosis phase".
I should hear something today.

Can you imagine not being able to reproduce a problem with a car when it's at the shop? Who's ever heard of that happening?!?!

I'll be sure to post what, if anything, is diagnosed.

In the meantime, they gave me a loaner. Same model, but with an automatic transmission. :cry:

:confused::oops::rolleyes::unsure:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts