Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay Experts, looking for some "sound" advice on selecting an exhaust for my Abarth. I'm only interested a funner daily driver. I have completed Phase II by EC and will likely work up to the Phase III by EC with an upgraded trurbo, but for now, I think the next step is changing out the exhaust. I have the 2018 Abarth, does not have Record Monza. I'd like to find an exhaust system that provides a deeper, throatier sound (is that possible in a turbo 4)? I also do not understand how the down pipe, cross pipe, axle back, etc, what is needed, how much should be replaced, etc.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
I’ll make it easy for you.

Goodwin Racing. System One + Performance Crosspipe.

That’s all. You are welcome!
And yes, some turbo 4s like this one can sound amazing when equipped properly.

·
Registered
2018 124 Spider Abarth Custom
1,276 Posts
It must be the Christmas Cheer, but for once I completely agree with Gabriel here. The System One and Crosspipe combo is the way to go.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Ho ho ho!

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
System One with crosspipe. Get the SportCat if you plan on getting a bigger turbo.

·
769 Posts
Or you can spend less than $500 delivered for the Auto Ricambi resonated or non-resonated and call it a day. All great options on here for sure, just depends on how far you want to go with it.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
If you just want some more noise the Auto Ricambi exhaust isn't a bad option. It has the throaty exhaust you are looking for. A full turbo back or cat back exhaust might give you more horsepower and torque but don't expect it to be something that will be very noticeable. It all helps. But only a little.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have magnaflow cat back on mine and is not noise but is deeper, maybe planning to change to the magnaflow with 4 exits. Just evaluating my options. But else I'm with the guys if you have the money by the system one with cross pipe

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I, also, have the Magnaflow, but quad exhausts. It's a less raspy sound, that some seem to like, but has a deeper tone. Some don't like it, but it sounds more controlled. It mounts to the standard crosspipe.

Really, it comes down to the work you want to do. Cat back (crosspipe, mid pipe, then axleback), or crosspipe back (magnaflow is this) or just axleback (silencer delete). A lot of people like the Autoricambi one, with the unique tips. Can come with resonators - to keep the volume down - or without.

There are a lot of options, and the problem will be deciding which one you want and your funds. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
If you plan on the EC 1446+ turbo and Phase 3, they did develop the setup and tune on a stock exhaust, and later added just the Record Monza. Something to think about.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
I have personally heard the Magnaflow on a classica and an Abarth and it sounds muted, just slightly louder than stock. Monza imo sounds much better, but System One + Crosspipe actually improves performance so...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you plan on the EC 1446+ turbo and Phase 3, they did develop the setup and tune on a stock exhaust, and later added just the Record Monza. Something to think about.
If I understand you correctly, EC has not put a tune file together for the System One exhaust yet?

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
If I understand you correctly, EC has not put a tune file together for the System One exhaust yet?
They can tune for it. I’m suggesting the exhaust might not be necessary.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Started a conversation with Goodwin and they suggested System One. They did caution against the RoadsterSport system with the SportCat. As many have said the SportCat needs a tune to run properly and I have heard that EC doesn't yet have a tune for the SportCat and I don't want to swap out from EC to another tuner. I plan to start putting away for the System One.

·
Registered
2018 124 Spider Abarth Custom
1,276 Posts
Toby has tuned for the GWR Sport Cat and full Roadster Sport as of June 2019. It was done on my car, in person, in their shop, on their dyno.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Is GWR telling people that EC can’t tune for the SportCat? 😮

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The message is that the EC tune is safe but less than perfect for driveability. Just to get everyone on the same page, this is my daily driver and I do not intend to track the car ever. In terms of the build, I'm very close to what sharkcohen has done (I have the Forge DV and do not have the exhaust, turbo upgrade, coils or Phase 3 yet). I want an exhaust that is 'throatier', but not overwhelming for noise on a long drive and ideally something that will help achieve the full potential of the turbo.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
The message is that the EC tune is safe but less than perfect for driveability. Just to get everyone on the same page, this is my daily driver and I do not intend to track the car ever. In terms of the build, I'm very close to what sharkcohen has done (I have the Forge DV and do not have the exhaust, turbo upgrade, coils or Phase 3 yet). I want an exhaust that is 'throatier', but not overwhelming for noise on a long drive and ideally something that will help achieve the full potential of the turbo.
Everything comes back to my first reply on this thread. System One + Performance Crosspipe.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
So who is tuning for the GWR sportcat? I see on their webpage that they recommend Tork and Open Flash Tablet. Good luck getting someone from OFT to make a tune for you. And Tork has told me numerous times to remove my GWR sportcat because he says its garbage and he can't tune for it. I do have a Tork tune on my car right now and seems to be doing fine. It's perhaps slightly better on the top end than the EC tune and slightly behind the EC tune down low. I mostly run the Tork tune because I like how it sounds.

I'm not certain I would install an aftermarket downpipe again for anything other than a dedicated track car. I wish I had good solid dyno results for it. Interesting how those have never been published. Also interesting how the Sportcat has increased 25% in price since I bought mine.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts