21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,239 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I had reached out to GW to understand the difference between the RoadsterSport with the SportCat and the SystemOne with the CrossPipe. Brian responded to me that he recommended the SystemOne with the CrossPipe and stock converter, consistent with much of what was said already on this forum, however, he also cautioned against the SportCat and an EC Tune, suggesting that the Tork tune would perform better. For me, I have gone all in on EC product so that's a non-starter.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
The message is that the EC tune is safe but less than perfect for driveability. Just to get everyone on the same page, this is my daily driver and I do not intend to track the car ever. In terms of the build, I'm very close to what sharkcohen has done (I have the Forge DV and do not have the exhaust, turbo upgrade, coils or Phase 3 yet). I want an exhaust that is 'throatier', but not overwhelming for noise on a long drive and ideally something that will help achieve the full potential of the turbo.
There’s a big jump from a ’throatier exhaust’ to a full blown P3 tune (or its equivalent), turbo upgrade, etc.

Whats your end game (or are you not sure yet)? The System-one is a nice system, but quite pricey if you are just looking for a sound improvement (it’s still a good price at $1300 w. cross pipe). If you are looking at an ‘enthusiasts daily driver’ as most people who regularly populate this den, then it may be a way to go, but you can do the same - less restrictive exhaust with a nice sound - from a host of other vendors leaving more green for other items.

If budget isn’t an issue, then go for it. Or, start off with an axle back, save the packaging and optionally resell it if you want to get something more adjusted to a tune (personally, if you stick with a phase 1 or 2 level of tune, then the full exhaust isn’t necessary on a street car - you will get substantial gains, with cash, elsewhere).

edit: @TX_Bandit added a top speed pro exhaust axle back which looks and sounds great. https://www.124spider.org/threads/my-124-spider-had-a-great-christmas.34399/

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Is GWR telling people that EC can’t tune for the SportCat? 😮
I said this months ago and someone said “that’s bull”.

lol!

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Also, do not get a Tork tune. John is an absolute nightmare to deal with, is incredibly rude and downright stupid when it comes to people and social skills.

What good is having a decent tune when any revisions (which I required on 3-4 occasions) take sometimes more than a month? Stay away.

🙅🏼‍♂️

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Also, do not get a Tork tune. John is an absolute nightmare to deal with, is incredibly rude and downright stupid when it comes to people and social skills.

What good is having a decent tune when any revisions (which I required on 3-4 occasions) take sometimes more than a month? Stay away.

🙅🏼‍♂️
You mean your winning personality and demand that he fix it for free as many times as you wanted didn't work?

But seriously, his quirks are well known and we could go on discussing them here ad nauseam. I wanted a revision to the current tune I have and even offered to pay him to do it. All I wanted was the pops and bangs taken out. He ignored my request completely. Now I'm glad he did. I've gotten used to them and even like them now. If I want a quieter tune I'll switch back to the EC tune which runs just as good.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
You mean your winning personality and demand that he fix it for free as many times as you wanted didn't work?

But seriously, his quirks are well known and we could go on discussing them here ad nauseam. I wanted a revision to the current tune I have and even offered to pay him to do it. All I wanted was the pops and bangs taken out. He ignored my request completely. Now I'm glad he did. I've gotten used to them and even like them now. If I want a quieter tune I'll switch back to the EC tune which runs just as good.
Uh...the “fix for free” is included in the initial purchase. “Some fine tuning may probably be required”.
Only person that I’ve ever seen actually like John is probably Eddie.
He fixed it, for free, just took months. Also, horrible personality. That sums it up lol.

·
124 Spider Vendor
874 Posts
Confirming what Greg said, we have recently purchased a full EC tune so we could work with them, and we did send them driving logs for our full 2.5 inch exhaust setups INCLUDING the Sportcat. Toby at EC was very easy to work with, we made a ton of progress on the EC tune in a very short period of time. I did suggest they update their tablet to include log functions, but for that omission of log functions I think it is otherwise the best and most easy to use tablet flash setup. Nonetheless, numerous other devices are available to plug into the OBDII port for logging purposes for EC customers.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts