Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know allot of folks have done exhaust upgrades. Approx how much have you been paying to have a shop do it. I am looking at full removal and install of system including cross pipe. I know I can do it myself, with just jackstands, but concerned about breaking the Junk Factory cross pipe bolts and having to go to a shop anyway. I am pulling the A/R Axle back off today, while under there, going to spray al the bolts that needs to be removed, hopefully making job easier for someone.

Also, I assume the bolts will break, thus should I be going to a exhaust shop or would a good mechanic shop?

Lastly, if going with System 1 w/ 2.25 crosspipe, anything else other then reflective tape for the tunnel I'd need? For example upgraded hardware, gaskets, donuts, etc?

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Why don't you do up to cross pipe yourself and save money, and let the shop do the dirty work. LOL

·
Premium Member
2,156 Posts
If you have access to a lift, you could do it all yourself, but if not you could also have your dealeship's service folks do it for you. Half an hour's work, but the base charge will be an hour's labour at whatever rate they charge. Far less cost than that if you have a muffler shop do it for you. Not sure what exhaust system you're installing, but if it's a Record Monza on an Abarth, from factory they hang crooked on one side and the brackets on the exhaust need to be heated and bent slightly to get it to sit level when viewed from the back. Better to know in advance so you can have it dealt with at the same time as the installation.

·
Registered
612 Posts
IIRC it was a 2.5h-3h job for the entire GWR 2.5" exhaust from the cross-pipe to rear tips fit / alignement. It wasn't a specialized exhaust shop but my trusty generic local garage. I printed out and gave the Goodwin installation instructions as a guideline. I don't know if they used it.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you have access to a lift, you could do it all yourself, but if not you could also have your dealeship's service folks do it for you.
I'd not let a dealer within 100 yards of the car.

Reactions: pikeman

·
Premium Member
2,156 Posts
I'd not let a dealer within 100 yards of the car.
Sad to hear your dealer isn't so great. I'm lucky enough to have a fabulous and skilled team of mechanics at my dealership. Maybe you need the Midas touch. lol

·
Registered
983 Posts
I paid my independent shop just under $200 for a full installation --down pipe, cross pipe, etc. It was cheap.

The Goodwin Racing RoadsterSport exhaust I got is literally plug and play.

Reactions: Racer27

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I paid my independent shop just under $200 for a full installation --down pipe, cross pipe, etc. It was cheap.

The Goodwin Racing RoadsterSport exhaust I got is literally plug and play.
$200, that is about my expectation. I expect the System 1 with cross pipe will be similar labor. While under the car this weekend, I hit all the bolts, including the crosspipe bolts with penetrant lube. On ramps/jackstands looks doable, but it is tight for one person. If I break the bolts have to pay a shop anyway.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
I know allot of folks have done exhaust upgrades. Approx how much have you been paying to have a shop do it. I am looking at full removal and install of system including cross pipe. I know I can do it myself, with just jackstands, but concerned about breaking the Junk Factory cross pipe bolts and having to go to a shop anyway. I am pulling the A/R Axle back off today, while under there, going to spray al the bolts that needs to be removed, hopefully making job easier for someone.

Also, I assume the bolts will break, thus should I be going to a exhaust shop or would a good mechanic shop?

Lastly, if going with System 1 w/ 2.25 crosspipe, anything else other then reflective tape for the tunnel I'd need? For example upgraded hardware, gaskets, donuts, etc?
Hi I just had my mechanic install a GWR complete exhaust. He charged me ~ 320.
(2 hours). I forgot to give him the install instructions posted on GWR Website.
If I had it should’ve taken him less time
( he mentioned the install was a pain).
HTH

1 - 10 of 10 Posts