Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the general concensus? I've never purchased one before but I've only bought Hondas for the last 15 years, so they weren't necessary ;)

Walked out without purchasing it but said I'd consider buying it on Thursday when I pick up the car. Of course he said he was giving me his best price and, if nothing else, I'll share it here for everyone's benefit:

3 (more) years of standard warranty = $1800 (he said this was discounted)
+ prepaid maintainance = $400
+ tire protection plan = $700.

So all in, with tax, approx $3k. which doesn't seem exorbident. I won't finance it, so it would be another $3k out of pocket though.

As I said, I ordinarly wouldn't do it. But I've never owned a foreign sports car. Or a Fiat. Or a car in it's first year of production. Hence, my trepidation.

Thanks is advance for your responses.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I question the wisdom of paying ahead of time for repairs you may never make.

Some people come out ahead on them, most people don't - which is why dealers make lots of money on them.

Proceed at your own risk.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Normally I take it for 6-7 years if I use the car all year round also based on abount of kilometer I do yearly.
But since I have two 2017 cars in which the
Spider I will use it in summer only and put probably about 6k KM, I don't take the extended warranty
My 2017 Murano which I will put probably 6k km I not be taking the extended warranty. So I save around $4k.

I had a 2011 Murano with extended warranty of 7 years paid $2,500. Never visited the Garage except for Oil changes.

Then if I am unlucky, and I have a lemon, then I could take an extended warranty before the 3rd is over.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Prepaid maintenance might be worth it - how long is the plan and does it cover all maintenance, even consumables such as brakes?

$700 for tire plan is not worth it - How many rims do you need to damage to re-coup that money?

$1800 for years 5-7 - out to 100k miles? Probably not worth it - you would need 3-5 occurrences (during miles 50,000-100,000) averaging $400-600 each to recoup your money

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maintainance is 7 years. No brakes, basically oil changes and tire rotations

Given the tires and shitty conditions in and around NYC this is the one I think might be worth it

Agree with your assessment on the extended coverage.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
948 Posts
I bought them when we were buying Chrysler minivans and there were transmission issues (1996-98).
When we bought 2004 Honda Accord, no.
2013 Volvo S60 T5, no.

And now since the 124 is built by Mazda from almost all Japanese parts, no.
However, if it were another of the Fiat cars I would sure as **** have an extended warranty! But I wouldn't buy one of those . . . . :/
best regards
Pete

·
Registered
351 Posts
The actuaries get you either way. An extended warranty on a less reliable car will just cost you more. They make money no matter what.

·
Registered
476 Posts
FCA offers a s/c that take if you never use it that at the end of it's life you get all your money back, seems like a fair deal to me. personally i went with the lifetime max care contract. so as long as i keep the car for a longer period then i am good. if i don't then a waste of money.

·
Banned
425 Posts
And now since the 124 is built by Mazda from almost all Japanese parts, no.
However, if it were another of the Fiat cars I would sure as **** have an extended warranty! But I wouldn't buy one of those . . . . :/
best regards
Pete
And while Consumer Reports beats up the FIATS as the worst manufacturer for reliability, according to CS the FIAT engines are way above average in reliability. We should be good, and I will take my chances.
Regarding tires and paint and paintless small dent repair and cosmetic wheel damage, windshield dings, my dealer, after we were all done started telling me about all the extra insurance they offered - but to my surprise it was included with the deal and he didn't try and sell it to me. Low and behold, I picked up a nail in the center of the tread in the first 500 miles and got a proper dismount, vulcanized patch from the inside and re-balance covered by the warranty. Wasn't enough to change my mind about actually buying insurance though:)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am not buying extended warranty cuz of mods.

I'm getting a tune, diverter valve, plugs, intake. I doubt that my local dealer will even honor the factory drivetrain warranty. I'm not paying extra to extend the warranty that I probably won't even get. Let me know if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Wheel/Tire Coverage

Prepaid maintenance might be worth it - how long is the plan and does it cover all maintenance, even consumables such as brakes?

$700 for tire plan is not worth it - How many rims do you need to damage to re-coup that money?

$1800 for years 5-7 - out to 100k miles? Probably not worth it - you would need 3-5 occurrences (during miles 50,000-100,000) averaging $400-600 each to recoup your money

The only extended warranty I purchased was the 5 year wheel and tire plan. I have Abarth wheels and know the inevitable "curb kiss" will likely occur at some time. Gun Metal rims are notorious for flaking (though they claim the process is better now) and I am happy to have it.
Just my two cents worth. Drew

·
Registered
283 Posts
Never bought one. Well I can't say that is completely true. Hoover Rug Scrubbers are an exception. Dirt cheap coverage at Walmart and Hoovers ain't what they used to be. Wonder about paying that $$$ upfront and the company not being their when you need them. Seems to be a popular way to business these days. Think pensions.

·
Registered
126 Posts
One thing I've learned from studying economics is that extended warranties are rarely worth it. Remember, dealers would not offer such warranties if the odds weren't in their favor (stacked against you). The house always wins.

·
Registered
150 Posts
One thing I've learned from studying economics is that extended warranties are rarely worth it. Remember, dealers would not offer such warranties if the odds weren't in their favor (stacked against you). The house always wins.
Not always... in my history of car owning I've benefited on 3 different vehicles in which the warranty work outweighed the cost of the warranty (in one case by a few thousand dollars). On a couple of others I was able to get work done that equaled the cost near the end of the period as I kept taking it back for sub-performing issues. Granted, that was a small percentage of the vehicles that I owned, but I prefer to pay the extra to have that peace of mind. I look at it no different than paying the home warranty insurance.
I always barter the cost of the insurance down and usually get it around $800-1000 for the "warranty extension" (which is all it is as it extends in only usually for a year or so).

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought the wheel, tire and windshield coverage, besides the GAP insurance when I bought mine. I did buy the extended warranty on our Subaru last year, only because of the 100 miles a day we put on that vehicle commuting to work.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts