Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

Did you purchase an extended warranty for your Spider?

• Yes

• No

• Never Considered it

Results are only viewable after voting.
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
842 Posts
Way to kill my notion that every Liverpudlian sounds like the Beatles...
Nah, they were "Artists".....rest of us skint but could all sing, "You'll Never Walk Alone".....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Bought 2017 Classica new in 2018. Love it. Bought extended then. However, two major problems. Thermostat needed replacement. During installation they broke a bolt. Fixed under warranty but when I asked what it would have cost they said $2,600. The rear end differential went bad. Fixed under warranty but when I asked what the cost was they said $2,900. Things are expensive to fix.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Bought 2017 Classica new in 2018. Love it. Bought extended then. However, two major problems. Thermostat needed replacement. During installation they broke a bolt. Fixed under warranty but when I asked what it would have cost they said $2,600. The rear end differential went bad. Fixed under warranty but when I asked what the cost was they said $2,900. Things are expensive to fix.
Wow. Surprised at the thermostat as stock of parts for these engines are plentiful as they are used in so much (in europe anyway). Its the one area that doesn't worry me as even head rebuild kits are cheap

Diff? What happened to it?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Way to kill my notion that every Liverpudlian sounds like the Beatles...
I thought Liverpool was only about the fab Four and the Cavern Club

·
Premium Member
842 Posts
Jesus.....if you are not mechanically minded that could hurt badly....and easy out would probably get the bolt free, then just a six month wait for a new fiat one........the diff, I would be looking for an advantage in that failure...LSD diff.
But yes...Jesus.... Cheers
ron

·
Premium Member
842 Posts
I thought Liverpool was only about the fab Four and the Cavern Club
Now you're winding me up......Only The BEST TEAM IN THE WORLD..official. we all wear "RED SOCKS" now, something to do with some NON INTERFERING guy in the USA, I think he's the Chairman and we love him......

·
Premium Member
842 Posts
Now can you draw The FULL Kop End at ANFIELD please....I want scarfes, bobble hats, about 10000 fans, with smiling faces, some could be dipping the pocket of the guy next to them (they are Scousers), others will be hiding their faces incase the DWP Benefits people are watching on Sky......... don't forget stewards, Bobbies, the goal mouth with Man U keeper looking behind him at the match ball in the back of the net. No Mexican waves and no away fans crying....... (that lot should keep young Arthur quiet with his crayons for a while..... Cheers
ron

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Precisely my thought. The extended warranty can pay for itself in one repair.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Now you're winding me up......Only The BEST TEAM IN THE WORLD..official. we all wear "RED SOCKS" now, something to do with some NON INTERFERING guy in the USA, I think he's the Chairman and we love him......
Please forgive my addled American brain, but are these Liverpudlians? I get so easily confused by such things. :sneaky:

·
Premium Member
842 Posts
Please forgive my addled American brain, but are these Liverpudlians? I get so easily confused by such things. :sneaky:

View attachment 76452
No, they are LOSERS............This is "ANFIELD" The Kop !

KOP94887c1fe843990d070e22a939314070.jpg
:oops:

I am the one wearing the scarf............

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Doesn't all this football chat deserve its own off-topic thread? I recall displeasure about a family from my hometown purchasing a club (I believe it was Manchester United). Has that dissipated by now?

·
Registered
749 Posts
Precisely my thought. The extended warranty can pay for itself in one repair.
This is true in theory. However, that’s rarely how it works in practice.

An “extended warranty” is a fancy name for what is essentially a type of insurance: you pay a premium in the present to cover yourself against a future risk.

Unfortunately, in North America at least, insurers are allowed to maximize profits simply by denying claims. To the point that some insurers have the unspoken policy to automatically deny customers’ initial claim, no matter how legitimate, in the cynic attempt to reduce the amount they have to pay up.

I have been a Chrysler owner for 30+ years. I have to say that my trust in FCA is now the lowest it’s ever been. The rate at which FCA dealers deny legitimate warranty claims today is unprecedented. I had a very unsavory experience with my local Jeep dealer not long ago. I don’t trust FCA one bit.

Trust needs to exist for any type of insurance to work. Without trust, why would I put myself in a position that depends on FCA behaving ethically, when it is unable to show ethical behavior on a regular basis...?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Agreed with Aldo. Worked in the insurance biz in a former life, and it's not unusual for initiatives to come down from corporate denying all claims this month because of the balance sheet.

I went into owning the 124 long-term knowing that I would wrench on it myself or have a trusted shop for tasks beyond your average shade-tree mechanic. Good thing my name is Tony so I can fix it again. 😁

·
Premium Member
842 Posts
Doesn't all this football chat deserve its own off-topic thread? I recall displeasure about a family from my hometown purchasing a club (I believe it was Manchester United). Has that dissipated by now?
Must get back on topic, but...No Man U fans still hate the Glazer brothers and many others in Man U higher ups as they are not winning titles anymore sour grapes) but also as they have £511M Club Debt..but dividends galore. The Glazers moved the football business to Cayman tax haven and floated on NY stock Exchange.
Meanwhile John W Henry 11 of Boston "Red Sox" fame and Fenway sports group breathed new life into Liverpool FC following stadium disasters....moral shot. So he walks on water......
Now,what were we talking about again.........

·
Registered
19 Posts
I went for the extended warranty for 2 reasons
1. I own a Dodge truck that I ordered new. Spent its first 2 weeks after delivery in the shop. Without the warranty the rental would have been at my expense. Multiple other issues from fuel pumps to shorted out relay box, alternators, cylinder head at 48k etc... I’ve probably used the cost on rental cars alone.
2. With so few 124’s on the road and a dissolving dealer network I prefer not to worry about getting parts or finding a shop that knows the vehicle. Let the mopar warranty folks sort it out.
I agree 100% about an extended warranty being insurance. Would I buy one on the wife’s Lexus? No. A vehicle made in Japan with a European engine and a domestic dealer network that is terrible? That’s 1,430 dollars worth of insurance I’m glad to have. If I never need it so much the better.

·
Premium Member
842 Posts
If I added up what I saved by not buying extended warranties over the past 40 years, I could buy a spare 124.
Yes, never even considered extending before, however...if I was not mechanically minded, was a high flying exec with no time or lady with fingernails to worry about... I think it will always be a individuals choice........for some great idea.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Yes, never even considered extending before, however...if I was not mechanically minded, was a high flying exec with no time or lady with fingernails to worry about... I think it will always be a individuals choice........for some great idea.
I thought they made the Camry for people like that.... ;)

·
Registered
163 Posts
I purchased the Mopar Maximum Care Extended Service Plan from Zeigler Chrysler in Michigan. I have 7 years/100,000 miles coverage from the date of purchase so it's time limited expiration is 4/2026. It gives me an additional 4 years beyond the factory warranty. Has a $100.00 deductible. I paid $1960.00 for it and had 12 months to pay at 0% interest. Hard to pass up. My selling dealer wanted nearly 3k for the same plan. I don't usually buy extended service plans but at the price of this one with 0% interest it was hard to say no. The cost of one serious repair will more than pay for the coverage. Since I'm heading into my retirement years I figured it was cheap insurance. I am very satisfied with my choice.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts