Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
425 Posts
If you are going to drive the car hard on mountain roads or at the track I believe the answer is yes. The standard brakes are reported to fade under those conditions. I have many miles of experience with Brembos on other vehicles in addition to the Abarth, and have always been impressed with them.

Reactions: colmfmurphy

·
Registered
165 Posts
On the other hand, the standard brakes are really pretty good. In an 1800 mile trip on winding CA1 and US 101 in November, long sections of road had repeated downhill turns. I was driving hard, but never encountered brake fade.

Last week while driving to the post office, I was thinking about the fact that the car I'd found had everything I wanted but the Brembos. At that moment a deer hidden in the forest emerged through salal shrubs and into the roadway about 40 yards ahead of me. I was going about 55 mph and had to brake hard, with letters and packages flying into the dash, to avoid the deer. My coffee cup remained in the holder, the deer danced across the road, and I was clear of her by 5 yards. No drama; the antilock was not even engaged. This made me realize that the Brembo difference I really missed was just the red calipers.

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
I'd definitely tick the Brembo box....or go aftermarket. I did track days in my Brembo'd Renaultsport Megane with repeated hard braking from over 190kph, and they never gave up. The tyres gave up first.

·
Registered
589 Posts
The beauty of lightweight is you don't need heavy duty parts to make it work. On the street for emergency braking you would probably never notice. It is really only going to be an improvement, as stated above, in repeated high speed braking. It is more for brake fade, not stopping distance. Better pads and grippier tires can help with stopping distance.

As for value, the truth is you could probably order Wilwoods that work just as well for less. But considering I didn't pay MSRP, I felt I discounted down that $1500 cost quite a bit, and I like the bling/oem aspect.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I had to get them. I am sure they will be very good.

But I feel I could have optioned them out I would have.

They are only the front.

For the money I would have preferred a GWR Wilwood set up front and rear. Just as good if not better, lighter, and front and rear for the price. I will still likely do Wildwood rears, kinda weird I know....

Plus the thing that doesn't seem to be talked about, clearance. If you go Wilwood your wheel options are much better

·
124 Spider Vendor
1,177 Posts
Though I think the Brembo are very expensive for what you get, one cool new thing we are working on is brackets for Brembo owners to later add our bigger two-piece rotors.

Thus, you Brembo owners will eventually have ability to convert the setup to Big Brakes if they start doing track days, etc. And because our two-piece rotors are lighter than stock, you get the bigger thermal capacity while not adding weight. Likely another month before we have those on the site.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Though I think the Brembo are very expensive for what you get, one cool new thing we are working on is brackets for Brembo owners to later add our bigger two-piece rotors.

Thus, you Brembo owners will eventually have ability to convert the setup to Big Brakes if they start doing track days, etc. And because our two-piece rotors are lighter than stock, you get the bigger thermal capacity while not adding weight. Likely another month before we have those on the site.
That's great news Brian. I hadn't installed my Dynapro 6-piston upgrade, and after three track days, the front pads were nearly shot.

Have you guys seen a need for a rear upgrade other than lightness (like the ultralights?)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So are the Willwood 4 piston calipers better than the Brembos since the pads surface area is 6.4in vs 8.1in, theortically wouldn't the Brembos still outperform the 4 piston and even the 6 piston willwood(7.3in)? I understand that the Willwood's will offer more wheel options due to clearance. However since Goodwin will soon be offering a bracket so the brembo owners can use the bigger rotors wouldn't that make it the best package for fighting brake fade?

·
124 Spider Vendor
1,177 Posts
Here is the chart from our site for easy comparison.

Indeed Brembo conversion to Big Brake setup would be compelling choice for the track customers. Customers have reported serious fade with the factory Brembo setup in just canyon and autocross driving, adding the big rotor thermal capacity will easily cure that.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you for the responses, I decided to get the Brembos. Let the mods begin.......

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've the stock Brembo and like driving my Abarth very hard on mountain roads, often really twisty ones: brakes awesome, strong and precise, not too much aggressive, just good. No fading even on long downhills, very happy with them.
For the track I've no idea of how they would perform because I've never tested (probably needs more aggressive pads), but for sporty road driving (which is what the car is designed for) they're perfect.

·
Administrator
2,029 Posts
I really debate having them added on delivery of my car, but looking on Good-Win's site I realized I could have even better brakes for less money. Talking to a friend who road races his 124 in California, he mentioned the stock brakes are very good, but if you're going to be making repeated hard stops (road racing), you'll want to upgrade brakes.

The decision whether or not to get Brembos really depends not only on whether or not you need better brakes, but also whether or not you mind going aftermarket for better brakes.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I really debate having them added on delivery of my car, but looking on Good-Win's site I realized I could have even better brakes for less money. Talking to a friend who road races his 124 in California, he mentioned the stock brakes are very good, but if you're going to be making repeated hard stops (road racing), you'll want to upgrade brakes.

The decision whether or not to get Brembos really depends not only on whether or not you need better brakes, but also whether or not you mind going aftermarket for better brakes.
So (yeah, I'm that guy in Cali) , In terms of performance, the stock brakes will work well for a couple of track days. That's, of course, you are mindful and are not stuck behind early braking drivers. However, those stock front brake pads are going to wear VERY fast. The rears, not as much.

I first upgraded the pads to Porterfield R4-1 Dual Purpose through Goodwin, and got great stopping power and longer wear (albeit a little more dusty).

I have the Willwood Dynapro 6, but haven't tracked them yet, but I'll let you know when I do.

·
Registered
442 Posts
At first I thought I'd not spend the extra bucks for the Brembos and got to thinking of the potential cost of removing ugly brown stains from the Recaros...:eek:

·
Registered
479 Posts
if i am not mistaken, the brembo brake upgrade is only the front calipers. the rears in photos appear to be red painted standard 1 piston brakes. so in researching the parts, it would appear for the price of $1500, you could purchase the 6 piston front wilwoods and the 4 piston rears for about the same price as the factory brembo. just my opinion that 4 corners of better braking would be better than just 2 corners. my only question would be if it would move you out of the stock class for autox? my guess is a most definate probably, anybody?

·
Registered
676 Posts
I would have preferred not to have the Brembos but the car I wanted had them. The Wilwoods would have been a better option for the money from GWR. And yes the rears are standard. So now I may mix it up and put Wilwoods on the rear from GWR. Kinda bugs me, but oh well.

But the standard calipers on the rear painted red trying to pretend to be Brembos bugs me as well.

·
Registered
115 Posts
if i am not mistaken, the brembo brake upgrade is only the front calipers. the rears in photos appear to be red painted standard 1 piston brakes. so in researching the parts, it would appear for the price of $1500, you could purchase the 6 piston front wilwoods and the 4 piston rears for about the same price as the factory brembo. just my opinion that 4 corners of better braking would be better than just 2 corners. my only question would be if it would move you out of the stock class for autox? my guess is a most definate probably, anybody?
Depends on class and the type of mod.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=...sg=AFQjCNETtvLxelJYtbnxYF0yrZLWEfqvyQ&cad=rja

My local club doesn't run SCCA classing (shadow with PAX for interest only) and brakes are free. Check with your local club if you are running anything outside SCCA rules or build to the class you want to run within.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts