Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all - I ordered a 124 Abarth in early February. I've been poking around the forum here for the last month and now I'm getting really antsy seeing all the fun everyone's having :) I just called the dealer and they still just have a vehicle order number. The car isn't even scheduled to be built yet. A month and a half just seems like a long time to be sitting on an order, knowing they have a paying customer who will for sure buy the car. The dealer estimated 4-5 months overall, so I'm not freaking out yet....

Has anyone else recently ordered a 124? What's your experience been so far?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I could be wrong, but I don't think they are building any 124s right now. Right now, I think the line is building Miatas. The 2018 124 run should start in August (??) with cars being delivered in October-November that are ordered now. I'm not saying this from any direct knowledge - just what I've picked up from various forum threads. I have a Lusso ordered and don't expect to see it until the end of the year sometime... But I really have no idea...

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Well, the list I viewed at my dealer said the dark gray Classica manual that I'm buying (with base audio package) was scheduled for a Feb 2017 build. They said their experience was delivery about 60 days later. There was no date for Feb, just production sometime during the month. So I don't expect to see my car before before the end of April. (Knock on wood.)

Also on the inventory sheet was another February build car, 2 March, an April, and a May production, showing up... 2 months+ after the production date? This was an inventory sheet (current and incoming) from late January/early February, showing in-stock and expected cars, a total of 19 on the list. Most Classicas were manuals. All Lussos were automatics, and only 2 of the 7 Abarths were manuals, and both of those were on the lot. I bet, after our stretch of warm, snow-free weather, those Abarths may have been snatched up. I bet Fiat is learning manuals are more desired than automatics. My guess.

I've made 2 quick visits to the dealership since putting down my deposit and they've tried to make me nervous by saying a 60 day wait could be 3 months, or maybe July! Whatever, I'm waiting for the car I want. I smile and tell them, "I'm patient." They really work hard to get me to buy in-stock inventory.

Honestly, other than getting the car I want, my biggest concern is getting a car that never touches our winter road salt. A late April or May (or?) delivery will take care of that concern.

Steve.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm guessing those were already in the pipeline and not special orders (which at least means they are currently turning out 124s). My dealer said any special order will be a 2018 and the production won't be for quite awhile. Of course if what you want is already on the production schedule, they can just allocate it to you. I want a Lusso MT and I think FIAT decided not to build very many... So I'm out of luck. But like you, I'm patient and willing to wait for the car I want. In the mean time I have the S2000 :).

·
Registered
69 Posts
Good luck! Ordered mine in April last year. Got it Saturday. Never have waited so long for a car but happy in the end. Anticipation is a lovely state of mind...
Drew

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Hey Drew, did you snap and post any photos of it here on the forum? Would love to see it. And how was you first ride? I'm glad you got it home before the snow fell again.

Steve.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interesting, thanks for the reply's everyone. When I ordered the car at the beginning of February my dealer said it would be a 2017 model, but I'm beginning to think they had no idea what they were talking about and just wanted me to sign on that dotted line. They were already frustrated that I wouldn't buy what they had in inventory. I just want a white manual Abarth without any options on it (I'd take the Bremos but can also upgrade aftermarket).

I'm willing to travel around the Midwest if I find something that's a close match, I wonder if the dealer would let me out of the contract if I find something elsewhere?

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
What's the Italian color term for white? Contact Schmelz Fiat Alfa in Maplewood (St. Paul), MN, they may have a white manual Abarth. I thought they had one in early February, might have been the one I test drove.

Steve.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
And sometimes dealers swap inventories with each other, too.

Steve.

·
Registered
589 Posts
It doesn't help with the Midwest, but I picked up a white manual abarth with only options being Recaros and Brembos from dealer inventory on 2/28. I found about 5 white manual abarth total here in socal, 2 with no options. It might be completely different markets, but what you are looking for shouldn't take a special order. Have you tried using the Fiat USA car locater? If you want a car now I wouldn't wait on a dealer order.

·
Registered
683 Posts
! ordered my Abarth in early October, with expected delivery in June. The Studio was pretty up front about the delivery date right from the start. I still haven't been Issued a VIN or build date, but I expect to get them soon, with delivery a couple of months after that. The salesman told me that orders for 2017 model year 124s closed on October 14th and that seems to be pretty accurate.

So I will be waiting 9 months for the car, and while waiting, I have been buying stuff for the car... Kinda like having a baby, except the car will ultimately be much cheaper! I use the "Baby" analogy when my wife complains about me buying stuff for a car i don't even have, she bought a ton of stuff for our grandson before he was born... So There!

Reactions: karmatourer

·
Registered
69 Posts
Rented Space

! ordered my Abarth in early October, with expected delivery in June. The Studio was pretty up front about the delivery date right from the start. I still haven't been Issued a VIN or build date, but I expect to get them soon, with delivery a couple of months after that. The salesman told me that orders for 2017 model year 124s closed on October 14th and that seems to be pretty accurate.

So I will be waiting 9 months for the car, and while waiting, I have been buying stuff for the car... Kinda like having a baby, except the car will ultimately be much cheaper! I use the "Baby" analogy when my wife complains about me buying stuff for a car i don't even have, she bought a ton of stuff for our grandson before he was born... So There!

Hi Steve, 9 months isn't so bad. I have been renting a heated underground stall since early September and just got to park my Abarth in it for the first time on Saturday! Ordered car in April of last year, didn't get my VIN till November 23rd and it arrived in Baltimore, MD around X-mas time. It sat there for a couple months before it was released to a train carrier on February 23rd. Arrived in Cottage Grove, MN on March 3rd and finally arrived at my dealer on March 10th. Hang in there. It is well worth the wait!
Drew

·
Registered
683 Posts
Hi Steve, 9 months isn't so bad. I have been renting a heated underground stall since early September and just got to park my Abarth in it for the first time on Saturday! Ordered car in April of last year, didn't get my VIN till November 23rd and it arrived in Baltimore, MD around X-mas time. It sat there for a couple months before it was released to a train carrier on February 23rd. Arrived in Cottage Grove, MN on March 3rd and finally arrived at my dealer on March 10th. Hang in there. It is well worth the wait!
Drew
I actually don't want the car yet, we just got 2 feet of snow! May or June would be perfect. It is a bit disturbing that your car sat in Baltimore for two months. Customs maybe? I ordered a custom built sea kayak from a company in England a couple of years ago and that sat in customs for around 5 weeks.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I actually don't want the car yet, we just got 2 feet of snow! May or June would be perfect. It is a bit disturbing that your car sat in Baltimore for two months. Customs maybe? I ordered a custom built sea kayak from a company in England a couple of years ago and that sat in customs for around 5 weeks.

I think things slowed down around the holidays. Anyway, expecting Sun and high 40's this weekend. Spring is in the air and I am driving today.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts