Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the Soft Top have a factory applied UV and waterproof coating applied. I was planning on applying Raggtopp but the outside temperature is going to be 10 C when I pick up my new 124 this week - which is below the recommended application range for the product. It looks like it will be a few weeks til we see temperatures reach 20 C.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Does the Soft Top have a factory applied UV and waterproof coating applied. I was planning on applying Raggtopp but the outside temperature is going to be 10 C when I pick up my new 124 this week - which is below the recommended application range for the product. It looks like it will be a few weeks til we see temperatures reach 20 C.
I picked mine up at the end of january and have been driving it in the rain and snow ever since. The top did repel moisture initially but not so much anymore. But obviously no leaks. And like you, I am waiting for it to warm up a few more degrees before I give the top a good cleaning and new UV/waterproofing treatment.

·
Registered
609 Posts
As posted in a different thread, I have used 303 Fabric Protectant on several past convertibles and found it better than the other comparable products. Clean your top and allow to dry before applying, and be sure to cover your windows and paint in advance.

·
Registered
283 Posts
As posted in a different thread, I have used 303 Fabric Protectant on several past convertibles and found it better than the other comparable products. Clean your top and allow to dry before applying, and be sure to cover your windows and paint in advance.
I did the 303 treatment to my top. As Bob Z states, cover everything and get the masking off ASAP as the 303 penetrates right through the masking take leaving marks on the rubber trim surrounding the fabric along the quarter panels and boot. I used mineral spirits on a rag to remove it from the paint, trim and glass after it leached through the masking tape and newspaper.

Another important note. Use proper ventilation. I did it in a closed shop and felt ill afterwards. A decent paint respirator would have been a very smart addition to the project. The day after the 303 treatment, I poured water on the top and it just rolled right off. Without the 303, the top acts like a sponge and sucks up the water.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Are there any products that are dab/wipe/roll/brush on vs. spray, just to help avoid the problems of airborn overspray?

Steve.

·
Registered
283 Posts
303 can be applied with a roller but it's noted in the directions the required amount will be increased. I imagine partly due to the roller holding the product. I will add that 303 is no match for a garden hose as my top appeared as if it wasn't even applied. It does bead water during rain so maybe all is well.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Thanks. I'd rather roll it vs. protecting the rest of the car from overspray.

Steve.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello I purchased top end convertible top cleaner from walmart and it cleans ,conditions, and protects against UV rays . I washed my 124 spider let top dry overnight then applied to microfiber cloth and ovoided over spray and it dried and left it soft and nice black look with no haze or residue very happy with product and hope this helps.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I cleaned the top and put on 3 coats of raggtopp. Overspray wipes right off with a microfibre towel. I will see how well it protects.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I’ve been spraying my top with UV protector/soft top protection, but have yet to wash as it has remained fairly clean, brushed a couple of marks and vacuumed once or twice. Avoiding washing, only when needed. Every 6 months?

·
Registered
62 Posts
You can rub standard toothpaste over the marks left over from the spray. It will remove it without causing any issues. I did! Works well. Toothpaste more than just cleaning TEETH. LOL

·
Registered
62 Posts
So as to show how effectively Toothpaste can be, i added some photos. Before during application and after. I used Colgate. Do not use Toothpaste whitening. Just basic Toothpaste will do. On the first image you can see resedue left from the vinyl roof spray product. Add a small amount of Toothpaste, rub it initially gently just to spread it a little followed adding firm pressure with your thumb or finger. Circular motion rub it in until it becomes almost dry. Apply a wet cloth removing all the Toothpaste mush and dry with a clean cloth and WHOLLA! There you have it! Nice and clean again. ☺

Attachments

·
Registered
454 Posts
I bought the car used and the top was soaking in all the water. This process is a bit more involved but I really didn't wanted to deal with over-spray.

I could easily spray a couple of coats before removing the protection too. Bought a 3 pack of plastic drop cloth and cut a slit with some scissors. Passed the top through the slit and tucked in the excess. Sprayed the 303 Fabric Guard, let it dry overnight then sprayed again the following day. Even raised the top a little to get the 303 in all the nooks and crannies.

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
...Bought a 3 pack of plastic drop cloth and cut a slit with some scissors. Passed the top through the slit and tucked in the excess...

Brilliant! Thank you for sharing!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I bought the car used and the top was soaking in all the water. This process is a bit more involved but I really didn't wanted to deal with over-spray.

I could easily spray a couple of coats before removing the protection too. Bought a 3 pack of plastic drop cloth and cut a slit with some scissors. Passed the top through the slit and tucked in the excess. Sprayed the 303 Fabric Guard, let it dry overnight then sprayed again the following day. Even raised the top a little to get the 303 in all the nooks and crannies.
hi how did you get that blue color i see you are in the US i thought that color is only available in Europe....

·
Registered
531 Posts

Your post makes this a good thread to bookmark.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Gotta love the Colgate. I wonder if the fluoride is the active ingredient for removing the residue (j/k).

Johny, the First Edition here in the States was that beautiful blue. Goaterguy's tagline says his car is #21 of 124.

A local dealer had a lightly used one for sale last year, I sat in it in the showroom, absolutely gorgeous.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Gotta love the Colgate. I wonder if the fluoride is the active ingredient for removing the residue (j/k).

Johny, the First Edition here in the States was that beautiful blue. Goaterguy's tagline says his car is #21 of 124.

A local dealer had a lightly used one for sale last year, I sat in it in the showroom, absolutely gorgeous.
that blue is.really nice good for.you the dark one.they offer is too dark....maybe they bring back the blue for next year....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts