Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a message that my Abarth with the heritage stripe will be leaving factory in Detriot on Monday. I know transit times vary greatly depending on how many stops etc. Just curious if anyone else had had a 124 shipped from Detriot to dealer and how long it took. Thanks, the waiting is killing me and since I am in South Florida I am assuming worst case scenario of being the last car on the truck.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Interesting to hear that the Abarth is finally getting the Heritage Stripe painted in Detroit. I got tired of waiting and had mine wrapped after purchase last November for $600. My Abarth was shipped all across the country, from NC to CA, and it took about 10 days. The dealer gave me the mobile number of the trucker, so I was able to keep in touch during the car's journey. Mine was almost the last car on the truck. While waiting I kept myself busy shopping for accessories, lol. Congratulations.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, that is what I suspected. I don't know if it's quicker or longer with a factory to dealer as opposed to a dealer to consumer transport. Supposedly, I am getting one of the first ones to come off the line with the stripe, and even that has been delayed several times. I passed on getting a white one and going the wrap route, now I'm kind of wishing I had, although it will be kind of cool to have a true painted stripe and I was able to get the black/red interior I wanted. I've already ordered all the accessories and the wait is killing me as it has been months rather than weeks. They have promised to "expedite" delivery but I have no idea what that really means. I envision it sitting in some train yard somewhere. Honestly, I'm wondering if I should just fly up there and drive it home myself!

·
Registered
727 Posts
I've seen the paint at two auto shows and it looks great. Odd though, I've seen it in both black and a really dark grey, and I'm a bit confused in terms of what we are getting in the U.S. I would have gone the paint route had Fiat had their act together last fall. A road trip could be fun if Weather.com gave you permission and you weren't in a hurry.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, that's a good point on the weather. I don't think about that! Every 70+ day here (so every day) I say "where's my convertible!!". I'll be interested to see what the color actually is, black or dark gray. I'll be sure to post pictures once it arrives. The last delay was because they needed to replace the badge?!?!

·
Registered
727 Posts
The last delay was because they needed to replace the badge?!?!
Was it the chrome "124 Spider" trunk badge? Mine had to come off for the wrap. The nearest replacement was in the U.K., and it took 2-3 weeks to get it. Yes, post pics.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They didn't say, but my guess was in removing one of the badges for the paint it must have been damaged. They just said it was a "quality control issue". Will see when it gets here. Hopefully, they will have an update for me Tuesday.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Got a message that my Abarth with the heritage stripe will be leaving factory in Detriot on Monday. I know transit times vary greatly depending on how many stops etc. Just curious if anyone else had had a 124 shipped from Detriot to dealer and how long it took. Thanks, the waiting is killing me and since I am in South Florida I am assuming worst case scenario of being the last car on the truck.
Did you originally order your car and if so, when?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I didn't order it from a dealer, it's actually my company car so we went through our fleet management company and our FCA fleet rep helped me find the one I wanted because we were having some issues with the local dealers. They were able to find one and pull it from the port in Baltimore and send it to Detroit for the paint. That was in early December. They said then it would take 4 to 6 weeks to clear customs, transport and get the paint. It's taken a little longer because this is the first group coming off the line. My understanding is there are others in that late November shipment that were headed to Detroit for the Heritage stripe, but none have been completed and shipped yet. They should be coming out this week or next and I would assume start being delivered to dealers and/or people who ordered.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Word today, is two weeks, coming by train and then truck...sigh.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Thanks SubVette, I'm new to having a car brought from an out of state dealer. Now I won't make a big deal out of the charge.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
When I first saw this thread title, I thought it would be the actual assembly factory in Japan.

So, how long does it take to get a car from Japan to the dealer? Any ideas or experience?

The car I'm buying had a vague "February build" on the inventory sheet, with a dealer-estimated 60 days to arrive at the dealership. 60 became 90-120 the next time we talked (as he's trying to get me to buy current inventory), which became a vague "could be July" the time after that. I just smile and tell him I'm patient, that my main priority is that my new car never touch MN winter road salt.

Steve.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi Steve, "Tell me about it", I put my $500 down in June, when I ordered my Abarth (Bianco Gelato, A/T, Luxury Pkg, Black Leather), then waited for VIN, then waited for shipment, arrived in Baltimore in November, waited till its release in February, It arrived in Cottage Grove 8 days ago, and arrived at my dealer yesterday afternoon. I am finally picking up my car tomorrow morning. I am going nuts! The **** with latent road salt! I will be running around in 20 degree cloudy weather. I get free washes at Schmalz for the first 30 days anyway. Now, the only thing I will have to wait for is "taking down the roof". What are you waiting for? Drew

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Hi Drew, nice to see another local guy. Schmelz is were I'm buying the Classica from as well. But boy, the salt out there right now is crazy! If you want to avoid the salt, ask them about holding the car for you until we get a couple rainy days, whenever that may happen. Or maybe a flatbed (or enclosed!) tow to your house?

Or, just toss that top down and let it fly! When I test drove them in early Feb, it was a clear 16 degrees, and we put the top down while on city streets. Heater and fan running high, a good winter hat on my head, and I was comfortable.

Originally I was wanting a red manual Classica that was due in around now but changed to the dark gray, which wasn't in stock then but rather ended up being the one I'm waiting for. Hopefully fate is on my side and I'll see it before leaf peeping season.

Enjoy your new car, maybe we'll cross paths out there.

Steve.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi Drew, nice to see another local guy. Schmelz is were I'm buying the Classica from as well. But boy, the salt out there right now is crazy! If you want to avoid the salt, ask them about holding the car for you until we get a couple rainy days, whenever that may happen. Or maybe a flatbed (or enclosed!) tow to your house?

Or, just toss that top down and let it fly! When I test drove them in early Feb, it was a clear 16 degrees, and we put the top down while on city streets. Heater and fan running high, a good winter hat on my head, and I was comfortable.

Originally I was wanting a red manual Classica that was due in around now but changed to the dark gray, which wasn't in stock then but rather ended up being the one I'm waiting for. Hopefully fate is on my side and I'll see it before leaf peeping season.

Enjoy your new car, maybe we'll cross paths out there.

Steve.

Thanks Steve,

I've been renting a heated garage since September to store my car. I'll take and post pictures tomorrow and then put her to bed till our Sunday snow melts. We live in Stillwater. I hope to see you in your Gray Classica soon! Drew

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
My dealer wants to charge me a $1,300 transportation fee to get the car from Nevada to NY, is this normal?
Contact Dave Fountain at Executive Motor Coach for shipping a car. I've worked with him a couple of times to ship my Challenger cross country, and he is well known in the Hemi community. He gets good rates, and can ship enclosed trailer. I wouldn't use anyone else.

Dave Fountain
Ofc: 515-207-1494
Cell: 712-210-4019
[email protected]
www.executivemotorcoach.net

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Thanks Steve,

I've been renting a heated garage since September to store my car. I'll take and post pictures tomorrow and then put her to bed till our Sunday snow melts. We live in Stillwater. I hope to see you in your Gray Classica soon! Drew
Drew-

Oh, Stillwater, right there amongst all those nice rural Washington County roads. And an easy jump into WI. I have to come across from the NE Mpls area. Coming back west across the Twin Cities from your area always seems to dull the experience. I guess I should live on the east side of town. I spend a lot of time motorcycling (not a noise-maker, either) this region and I never grow tired of it. I can't wait to be doing it in my new Gentleman's Roadster.

Happy motoring!
Steve.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts