Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Spider Abarth AT
480 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on the new map. I’m also downloading it. It is working but it is dog slow this time. It’s been running for eight hours now and it’s only 21% done. I mean, I should be grateful we’re able to download at all, but this is ridiculous. When I was finally able to get the October 2020 update a couple of weeks ago the d/l was slow, but nowhere near as slow as this one. I may put in a trouble ticket to Naviextras if others are also having crazy slow downloads.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I'm thinking the October 2020 update was quick for us since we couldn't download it until recently. But with the Feb 21 update, I can see their update server(s) being hammered by owners of all the other makes/models that get the same map.

I updated over the weekend, and while the download wasn't slow, the install took a couple of hours. At one point it was stuck at 71% for a long time, then quickly said it was complete.

·
Registered
2017 Spider Abarth AT
480 Posts
I'm thinking the October 2020 update was quick for us since we couldn't download it until recently. But with the Feb 21 update, I can see their update server(s) being hammered by owners of all the other makes/models that get the same map.

I updated over the weekend, and while the download wasn't slow, the install took a couple of hours. At one point it was stuck at 71% for a long time, then quickly said it was complete.
Yeah...that makes sense, since all the NA owners from all the different manufacturers that use the system will be updating at the same time. I get this picture in my head of a small room, with a single hamster on a treadmill connected to a single Naviextras server. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2017 124 Spider Lusso Stock
26 Posts
Prior to downloading the update, does the card have to be locked to the car? (60 mile break in/VIN Lock)

·
Registered
674 Posts
I have upgraded to AA/CP but out of curiosity, has anyone's here free update time has expired? Mine has. Does purchasing a new card resets the time or is there a membership subscription to continue to receive the updates?

·
Premium Member
2,317 Posts
Prior to downloading the update, does the card have to be locked to the car? (60 mile break in/VIN Lock)
Short answer? I honestly don't know. I found the European version of the FCA website that provides information on the Infotainment System for our vehicles, and if you go to the navigation section, you can download an install guide in .pdf. If you go to the North American version of the site, it will want you to select country and language, as well as year and model of Spider. I think you have to enter 2017, as that's the only model year it seems to recognize (which tells us something about when the site was last updated).

I've read through that new guide, and nowhere does it state that the card has to be VIN locked to perform an update. BUT, that could be an omission based on the assumption that people have already driven the car enough to VIN lock the card before needing an update. Or maybe not. When you create an account and register with the site using the Toolbox, it always displays the VIN of your vehicle in the left pane of the app when you log in, as that's part of the authentication process... and it may also use the VIN to perform a geographic check to see which map updates you'll have access to. Understand this is speculation on my part.

If no one else can validate if you can update a non-VIN locked card, then here's what I'd recommend to protect your investment...

Clone your OEM nav card, and then use that copy to test with the Toolbox/Naviestras site. That way if something blows up, you still have your original (OEM) nav card, and you can clone it again for later use.
Give it a shot. Worst case scenario, if it doesn't work, you just need to go for a little drive and repeat the process.

Here's the link to the European FCA site I alluded to: 124 Spider Infotainment System

·
Premium Member
2,317 Posts
I have upgraded to AA/CP but out of curiosity, has anyone's here free update time has expired? Mine has. Does purchasing a new card resets the time or is there a membership subscription to continue to receive the updates?
Purchasing a new card does not reset the three year clock for updates, as the update access is tied to your VIN. You need to purchase the extension via the Toolbox. It works. I, and several others here, have done a three year renewal purchase, and it works just fine. My initial three years expired in January of 2020, so last October I bought another 3 years of access. And of course we then worked for another four months to actually get access to what we paid for, but all that is water under the bridge now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts