Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
124 Spider Vendor
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bronze 6UL 17x9 with 255/35/17 Tires
Our RACE Spec Springs (Prototype, Coming to Site in 30 days), Rates 300 Front, 200 Rear
Koni SPORT Adjustable Shocks

Looks Amazing, Sticks the Corners!

Had these on our ND for Superlap Time Attack Battle last week (fastest Miata at the event), pic below, looking forward to some autocross fun in the Fiat with these.

·
Super Moderator
1,210 Posts
Once again, we are legally limited in Aus. We can't go any wider than 8" here.

If you are going to track it, I can see a point of fitting big rubber...and on a 1 tonne car with less 200hp 255s are huge...but as a road car I reckon it would spoil it.

·
124 Spider Vendor
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Once again, we are legally limited in Aus. We can't go any wider than 8" here.

If you are going to track it, I can see a point of fitting big rubber...and on a 1 tonne car with less 200hp 255s are huge...but as a road car I reckon it would spoil it.
Agreed. You may not have the sport of Autocross down there in Australia. It's a relatively low speed event where grip is critical, wider often wins, and because of that fact class limits on width apply. We have set our Fiat 124 to same SCCA STR class setup as our ND Miata, which includes limit of 17x9 wheels and running less than that will usually mean not placing well. There are also minimum treadwear rules, 200 for STR class. That set of 255 tire was fast choice for time attack event where 220 was the treadwear minimum, video of our ND Miata using every bit of those tires below.

For street canyon fun I would indeed limit the width to 8 inch width, no more than 235/40/17 tire...which is what you see below. We could use less than 235/40 tires on that 8 inch wide wheel, and turn-in response would be better with something like a 215/45 or 215/40... but then you are risking curb rash on the 8 inch wheel and ride. For those reasons and more (including ride comfort), we usually suggest non-racing but fast driving street enthusiasts go for 17x8 with 235/40/17 as shown below on our Fiat 124...and further below on my wife's new ND RF. My wife retired from racing, still knows how to push it in the canyons and appreciates the extra grip.

About a hundred competitors at first BMW CCA event of the year last Saturday, these were the four fastest cars, all on 9 inch wide wheels.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Love the look of the Bronze 6UL's...they look great.

Question, for those of us with stock Abarth rims; What is the biggest tire we can fit? Thinking about a 225/45/17...

·
124 Spider Vendor
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Question, for those of us with stock Abarth rims; What is the biggest tire we can fit? Thinking about a 225/45/17...
I have not run that tall, but customers here have for stock class autocross. Fits...but I would stay with stock offset for best clearance (45mm). Stock class autocross guys will stuff the wide 225/45 on stock 17x7 wheels because the rules do not let them run wider rims in that class.... and they 'make it work' with MUCH higher tire pressures, not something you want to do for street driving. Put stock normal tire pressures and that 225/45 on stock 7 inch is a SLOPPY MESS, steering input becomes like your Dad's 70's GM sedan...terrible. That's a 9 inch wide tire you are pinching down onto 7 inches of wheel. I autocrossed our Fiat 124 last weekend using 225/40/17 tires on 17x9, because that's the kind of support that makes a 225mm wide tire actually work. For street use my suggestion is 17x8 for 225mm wide tire, plenty of comfort and curb rash protection yet tire will not just roll over at normal pressures. For stock rims, I would not do more than 215/45....and frankly I would toss stock rims before doing that because they are over 21 pounds a piece....which is shockingly bad for a stock wheel on car this light (the Miata version of this same chassis gets a 17 pound 17x7 wheel as standard, and optional BBS 17x7 on the Miata is just 15 pounds).

·
Registered
449 Posts
Have you weighed the 7x17 Lusso wheel with 21lbs Brian?

What to mention is, that the ultra sticky AutoX tires are much wider in the the same size than normal street tires.
Tire width isn´t always the same.
A small to normal wide 215/45 on the 7x17 stock wheel would be perfect.

·
Super Moderator
1,210 Posts
To Brian's point, I wouldn't go past 215 on a 7 inch rim. Interestingly, the GT86/BRZ uses a 215/45 on a 17x7 rim as standard whereas Mazda/Fiat go for a 205/45.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Really appreciate the info guys. This forum has been a MASSIVE help in so many ways. I personal like the look of the stock Abby rims...at least for now. And the wife likes the idea of buying tires without new rims lol, so next set of rubber I will be looking into the 215's for sure.

thanks again

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have not run that tall, but customers here have for stock class autocross. Fits...but I would stay with stock offset for best clearance (45mm). Stock class autocross guys will stuff the wide 225/45 on stock 17x7 wheels because the rules do not let them run wider rims in that class.... and they 'make it work' with MUCH higher tire pressures, not something you want to do for street driving. Put stock normal tire pressures and that 225/45 on stock 7 inch is a SLOPPY MESS, steering input becomes like your Dad's 70's GM sedan...terrible. That's a 9 inch wide tire you are pinching down onto 7 inches of wheel. I autocrossed our Fiat 124 last weekend using 225/40/17 tires on 17x9, because that's the kind of support that makes a 225mm wide tire actually work. For street use my suggestion is 17x8 for 225mm wide tire, plenty of comfort and curb rash protection yet tire will not just roll over at normal pressures. For stock rims, I would not do more than 215/45....and frankly I would toss stock rims before doing that because they are over 21 pounds a piece....which is shockingly bad for a stock wheel on car this light (the Miata version of this same chassis gets a 17 pound 17x7 wheel as standard, and optional BBS 17x7 on the Miata is just 15 pounds).

When you say you would stick with the stock 45mm offset for the best clearance, is that to say that a lower offset might result in tire rub along the outside fender lip, or that a higher offset would result in tire rub inside the wheel arch? Would, for example, a 38mm offset allow this tire size to fit?

·
Registered
35 Posts
For street canyon fun I would indeed limit the width to 8 inch width, no more than 235/40/17 tire...which is what you see below. We could use less than 235/40 tires on that 8 inch wide wheel, and turn-in response would be better with something like a 215/45 or 215/40... but then you are risking curb rash on the 8 inch wheel and ride. For those reasons and more (including ride comfort), we usually suggest non-racing but fast driving street enthusiasts go for 17x8 with 235/40/17
Brian,

Can you comment on the use of 16-inch wheels from the same driving context and preferences -- spirited street and canyon driving, no racing, with the nod given definitely to handling precision and sport dynamics but retaining some regard to comfort/ride quality? What's to be gained/lost by using 16" wheel in such scenario? Which tire would you recommend? I just love the looks of 16x8" and was pondering an upgrade in that direction...

Thank you!

·
124 Spider Vendor
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Brian,

Can you comment on the use of 16-inch wheels from the same driving context and preferences -- spirited street and canyon driving, no racing, with the nod given definitely to handling precision and sport dynamics but retaining some regard to comfort/ride quality? What's to be gained/lost by using 16" wheel in such scenario? Which tire would you recommend? I just love the looks of 16x8" and was pondering an upgrade in that direction...

Thank you!
I think 16 inch is a great choice for the mix of attributes that you list. I have raced our Fiat 124 on our 16x8 Enkei RPF1 with 205/50 RE71R...and Rival S tires 215/45. Picture below with the 16x8 and RE71R...loved that combo for canyon fun, light autocross use....and long drives in comfort. Works great, though not quite as fast as our wide 17x9 combos....it weighs a lot less, rides better by far with more sidewall cushion.

·
124 Spider Vendor
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
When you say you would stick with the stock 45mm offset for the best clearance, is that to say that a lower offset might result in tire rub along the outside fender lip, or that a higher offset would result in tire rub inside the wheel arch? Would, for example, a 38mm offset allow this tire size to fit?
Yes, those are my concerns with the taller tire if we move much from stock offset. I have run 38mm offset (those 16x8 in my post above are 38mm), works great with the tires we have used but with tall tire some rub inside the fender would not shock me if we strayed too much from stock offset.

·
124 Spider Vendor
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Have you weighed the 7x17 Lusso wheel with 21lbs Brian?

What to mention is, that the ultra sticky AutoX tires are much wider in the the same size than normal street tires.
Tire width isn´t always the same.
A small to normal wide 215/45 on the 7x17 stock wheel would be perfect.
\

Sorry, no....was thinking of the ABARTH version 17x7 which have been weighed at 21/22 pounds by several customers. Those we have seen here have also had massive amount of balance weights inside the wheels. Thus, impressed with Mazda for offering ultra light option BBS 17x7 wheels, and surprised that Fiat put out their 'performance' version of the 124 with 21+ pound 17x7 wheels.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts