Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Project Fiat 124 showing off 6UL 17x9 in Charcoal

Brian,

It looks like you are using the TOYO PROXES R1R tires for street, is that right? Since you likely have more experience with tires on these platforms than anyone, can you share what you like about them and why you picked them? Tire Rack only has one review on these, and and I am sure you know the selection in this size is a little limited.

Thanks

·
124 Spider Vendor
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I would not do more than 215/45 on stock 7 inch wheel...it just gets really sloppy if you go even wider.

Note customers report that Abarth 17x7 stock wheel is very overweight...like 21/22 pounds. On the Miata the standard 17x7 is 17 pounds, optional BBS wheel is 15 pounds. That means changing to lighter wheel makes a nice improvement in ride quality for Abarth owners.

·
124 Spider Vendor
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
Project Fiat 124 showing off 6UL 17x9 in Charcoal

Brain,

It looks like you are using the TOYO PROXES R1R tires for street, is that right? Since you likely have more experience with tires on these platforms than anyone, can you share what you like about them and why you picked them? Tire Rack only has one review on these, and and I am sure you know the selection in this size is a little limited.

Thanks
Reasons I like the TOYO R1R include that it is a very light weight tire. These days most of the 17 inch stuff is made for much heavier cars, and that means sidewalls have several overlapping steel belts to help give decent turn-in response when the car weighs 4000 pounds. This little Fiat obviously does not weigh 4000 pounds, it just does not need the average performance 17 inch tire with uber stiff sidewalls that just ruins your ride quality and really gives you no benefits in return when your car weighs just 2500 pounds. Thus, I like the relatively soft sidewall for this class of tire, gives good ride and feel on car of this weight class. It is not as fast as the latest 200 treadwear choices like RE71R and RivalS. For the guy seriously autocrossing the weekends my suggestion is look at those RE71R and RivalS, but for average folks who want a high grip performance tire that works really well on these great little roadsters....the R1R is a top pick for me. It will do canyons, autocross, track days, great in the rain, comfortable long trips, a good 'do it all' choice for many performance enthusiasts.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I'm looking into 17x8 6uls, and I've seen recommendations for a 225/40 tire on that wheel. The problem is, there's basically nothing available in 225/40. You bump up the sidewall to a 45 aspect ratio, and all of a sudden you're swarmed with options. On the good-win-racing site, it states that you might get tire rub with that size. Will that size rub with a stock suspension setup? I'd love to get the 225/45 RE-71R on those wheels.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I'm looking into 17x8 6uls, and I've seen recommendations for a 225/40 tire on that wheel. The problem is, there's basically nothing available in 225/40. You bump up the sidewall to a 45 aspect ratio, and all of a sudden you're swarmed with options. On the good-win-racing site, it states that you might get tire rub with that size. Will that size rub with a stock suspension setup? I'd love to get the 225/45 RE-71R on those wheels.
I'm currently running 225/45/17's on 17x8 rims stock height with no issues!

·
Registered
291 Posts

·
124 Spider Vendor
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
That 225/45/17 has been used by several customers with reported success and no issues. The other size to consider on the 17x8 is the 235/40...which is what you see on our 17x8 Tungsten 6UL wheels below in Toyo R1R. I like that size a lot, part of the reason is that it is a perfect match for stock diameter 17 inch setup. That's what you see in our signature picture below.

·
Registered
249 Posts
That 225/45/17 has been used by several customers with reported success and no issues. The other size to consider on the 17x8 is the 235/40...which is what you see on our 17x8 Tungsten 6UL wheels below in Toyo R1R. I like that size a lot, part of the reason is that it is a perfect match for stock diameter 17 inch setup. That's what you see in our signature picture below.
Thanks! How does the 235mm setup work for autocross? Is it sloppy at all because of the extra width?

·
124 Spider Vendor
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Thanks! How does the 235mm setup work for autocross? Is it sloppy at all because of the extra width?
Using the Toyo R1R as the example, actual thread width is 8.6 inches for the 235/40. Thus, ultimate race setup for that tire would be on 9 inch wheel for max sidewall response, but for street driving with occasional autocross it works quite well on 17x8 as a compromise of daily driving comfort and autocross fun (needs a bit more air pressure for those autocross days than same tire would on 9 inch wheel). Every choice is a trade off, the most serious autocross guys will indeed insist on using that 235/40 on 17x9, but setup is still plenty fast even when sidewall support not maxed out.

·
Registered
247 Posts
That 225/45/17 has been used by several customers with reported success and no issues.
Good lord! I wish I had gone ahead and bought that size when I originally bought my wheel/tire combo.

Oh well. By mid-season this year I will likely need a new set anyway. Hahahaha!:D

... Please God, don't let that be true! :(

·
Registered
43 Posts
I haven't seen this addressed but if one were to run a staggered setup, what width/offset wheel and tire can be run in the rear without any rubbing?

·
124 Spider Vendor
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
That staggered question comes up with the Miata forums too, the answer is please do NOT run staggered....it's the fastest way to screw up the handling. This is not a Porsche with heavy tail that can use a little extra rubber back there, this Fiat is near perfect 50/50 balance...so you want to run square (same size all corners).

·
124 Spider Vendor
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Would a 17x9 +20 offset fit on a 2018 spider with 205/45/17
We would not stretch a 205mm tire beyond a 17x8 fitment. As for offset, a 35mm offset choice pushes that 205mm out nicely to fender lips. Much beyond that and you need more extreme camber, lowered car, rolled fender lips, perhaps a pull too.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts