Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 448 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

TO PURCHASE: HERE

EUROCOMPULSION® is pleased to present the ultimate engine control unit (ECU) upgrade for the FIAT 124 SPIDER/ABARTH. The EURO+DRIVE® Tuning system is available in power-specific variations and is conveniently flashed to the vehicle’s factory ECU through the OBD-II port without any physical modification to the factory ECU. The EURO+DRIVE® functionality puts the control of the engine’s operation at your fingertips and allows for comprehensive tuning calibrations that do not only effect power output but drive-ability, throttle response, consistency and smooths over-all power delivery.

EURO+DRIVE® FEATURES:

• True OBD2 Flash Tuning/Calibrations
  • Use of Genuine OEM Software,Maps and Protocols
  • Simple User Interface (with on-line instructions)
  • Storage of 5 maps for convenient map switching (including your stock map)
  • Each Calibration is custom calibrated to your ECU specific file and VIN number
  • Calibrations will include modification optimization
  • Calibrations will Optimize power, drive-ability, and efficiency
  • Unparalleled consistent, linear, & smooth power delivery
  • Calibrations will retain OEM tuning logic ( IE self adaptation) and all safety checks
  • Flashing procedure is easy, safe and protects against incomplete/incompatible flashes
  • All factory hardware works properly
  • The EURO+DRIVE® does not hack/manipulate or bypass the factory ECU
  • Full control over all engine parameters
  • Specially requested Calibrations available (additional fees may apply)
  • 91oct minimal fuel requirement
  • Calibrations are fine tuned and custom tailored for your existing modifications
  • EURO+DRIVE Calibrations are street/AutoX/Track proven with an extremely high ratio of podium finishes
  • No physical removal of ECU is required

EURO+DRIVE® Operation Times (2017+): Read (16 MIN.) Write (16 MIN.)

EURO+DRIVE® MANAGER & PORTAL:

• Use your PC to easily access the EURO+DRIVE® portal to manage your calibration files..
  • Upload your read ECU files, download the latest calibrations, and browse user software and installation instructions.
  • All Phase 1/2 Calibrations are included in the initial purchase
  • Via this portal, EC will continually offer new calibrations, updates, all for FREE.

Your portal login credentials will be emailed to you at the time of shipment of your handheld unit.

EURO+DRIVE® TECH INFORMATION: Coming Soon

INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS: Coming Soon

EURO+DRIVE® CALIBRATIONS:

• 197+ WHP PHASE 1
  • XXX+WHP PHASE 2 Coming Soon

SUPPORTED YEARS & APPLICATIONS:

2017+ - ALL MODELS AND TRANSMISSIONS AVAILABLE

FAQ & NOTES:

-How does the Euro+Drive process work?
Very simple. Once you receive your handheld, you will set it up via the installation instructions. These can be found on the website or by logging into your portal area. You will then use the device to read your stock ECU file. Once completed, you will upload your stock ECU file to your portal folder. This goes straight to our team, and we will create your tuned maps based off of your stock file and listed modifications. These maps will be completed within 48 hours, and uploaded to your portal folder. The portal will send you a notification when they are available. Upload your maps to your device, and use the device to flash the tuned file of your choice to your ECU.

-What is on the portal, and how do access my folders/info?
We will set you up with an account on the portal at the time of shipment. This account login will use the email you provided at purchase, and you will get a notification at this email address in regards to login. What you will see on the portal:

-Your personal folders; this is where you will upload/download your maps and store any other tune related information
-Software and installation folder; you will have access to the 124 Spider software and installation instructions folder. In this folder contains a copy of your client software, which is an application you will install on your computer to communicate with, update, upload/download files, and other features with your handheld device. This folder also has tech information, installation pdfs, and a tune request pdf. You will download the tune request pdf and fill it out with your vehicle modifications, info, and any other details we need to know in regards to making your tune file. You can upload this to your personal folders when finished.

-Can I flash back to my stock file?
Yes, your stock file is included in your map list, and can be flashed back and forth at any time.

-What should I do when going to the dealer, or I plan to have my ECU updated?
Always flash back to the stock file when taking a trip to the dealer. In the event that your ECU is updated with a new software release, and the stock file has been flashed onto the ECU beforehand, we can simply instruct you to reset your handheld, re-read the ECU with new stock file, and we will create new maps for you based on the new software. Your old files will no longer be compatible. Failure to do this will result in a lock on the unit, and there will be a fee to unlock the device.

-How do you map non-sport mode and sport mode?
Both modes are mapped in one single calibration file. Flashing only one file is required to map both modes. Phase 2 will offer a number of features, including dual map mode of your choice (for example: non-sport Phase 1, sport Phase 2 etc), raised rev limiter and more. You will have the ability to check or confirm these features on the tune request form when they're released. These features will be offered at no charge.

-How do I use my handheld device?
The device has many features. It can store a total of 5 maps at once, and the interface is simple to use. A few no-nos: never reset your unit unless requested by EC. There are also specific guidelines for things to do and not to do during flashing of your vehicle. These will be listed in the installation instructions, so be sure you are familiar with them before starting the process as not following the instructions can result in difficulties with your unit.

Please feel free to contact us with any questions, concerns, or technical support.

Attachments

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any ETA of Phase 2?
No. It is in development, but no ETA as of yet. We are aiming to make it more aggressive than Phase 1, and with many more features, so it's going to need a good deal of testing.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Great News EC! Now, is there any reason in the world (short of not knowing how to use a laptop) that I shouldn't go this way verses the ECU Clone option you guys offer? Perhaps Chris or Greg could chime in on this subject. Ultimately, I'd like to be able to toggle from two different maps with a flick of the sport button. Thanks!!!
Drew

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
;)

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great News EC! Now, is there any reason in the world (short of not knowing how to use a laptop) that I shouldn't go this way verses the ECU Clone option you guys offer? Perhaps Chris or Greg could chime in on this subject. Ultimately, I'd like to be able to toggle from two different maps with a flick of the sport button. Thanks!!!
Drew
As far as tune features and options, they will be about the same as far as calibrations.

There are really two big differences:
-convenience
-flash footprint

The ECU clone option essentially preserves the stock flash from a file footprint. The handheld device is by far more convenient, but will affect the flash counter. We have never had either be an issue with service/warranty, so it really comes down to the preference of the end user.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Inquiring minds would like to know ...what was the aha!! moment that you guys were able to crack the OBD software?
We are a testing partner for Dimsport, mostly for the platforms that we mainly work on (Fiat, Alfa Romeo, Maserati, etc), but sometimes for other oddball projects (we recently did OBDII flash tuning for the newest Ford Focus RS).

The ECU in the 124 is a Fiat/MM unit, one they have used in other Multiair models such as the 500 Abarth. FCA purposely unbridged certain connections on the motherboard that made it impossible to use any other serial communications out of the box. Once this was finally sorted out a direct connection was made internally with the ECU, and with Dimsport we sorted out the electronic/file bits.

But we were all under the impression it would be using an FCA based protocol for OBDII. Turns out that was not the case. After the BCM and Can-Bus system info was dissected, Dimsport was able to use that data to put together protocols to try. Many revisions did not work, and logging them was tiring. They came through with a last revision, and much to my surprise when I looked down and it was working! After some tweaks, they released this protocol publicly yesterday.

I wouldn't say we cracked it, Dimsport are the real heroes.

·
Registered
113 Posts
-What should I do when going to the dealer, or I plan to have my ECU updated?

Always flash back to the stock file when taking a trip to the dealer. In the event that your ECU is updated with a new software release, and the stock file has been flashed onto the ECU beforehand, we can simply instruct you to reset your handheld, re-read the ECU with new stock file, and we will create new maps for you based on the new software. Your old files will no longer be compatible. Failure to do this will result in a lock on the unit, and there will be a fee to unlock the device.
Exciting product and I appreciate the info.

A couple clarifications needed to help me decide if this is the right option for me. Does this note above mean that the dealer overwriting the tune will cause problems, or my trying to refresh over a dealer update with an old tune is the action that would lock the device? I don't drive a lot and putting on a 100 miles after flashing to stock to take it in could be problematic for inspection, for example. I suspect I'd notice in the (infrequent) event the dealer overrode my tune and isn't there a way to check? If so, would that kind of dillagence allow me to download the dealers new flash and upload this to you for an update without any fuss?

Also, I'm hoping that leaving your tune in place will pass emission inspections as I have done on my last mx-5. Is this correct?

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
;)

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
This is not my first Euro+Drive tune, so I knew what to expect going in. I took it for a quick spin tonight, and I was not disappointed. The car pulls harder, and sooner, and shifts quicker. This is how it should have been from the factory. More seat time tomorrow. Can't wait for Phase 2.

·
Registered
488 Posts
We with automatics ....will there be some transmission tweeks that accompany the tune? ...and also, down the road, should I do a full exhaust change, would this then be considered a full custom tune to match a larger diameter exhaust pipe?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Exciting product and I appreciate the info.

A couple clarifications needed to help me decide if this is the right option for me. Does this note above mean that the dealer overwriting the tune will cause problems, or my trying to refresh over a dealer update with an old tune is the action that would lock the device? I don't drive a lot and putting on a 100 miles after flashing to stock to take it in could be problematic for inspection, for example. I suspect I'd notice in the (infrequent) event the dealer overrode my tune and isn't there a way to check? If so, would that kind of dillagence allow me to download the dealers new flash and upload this to you for an update without any fuss?

Also, I'm hoping that leaving your tune in place will pass emission inspections as I have done on my last mx-5. Is this correct?
To answer your questions in regards to dealer updates, here is how the handheld works:

-Once the handheld has read your OEM ECU file, it marries itself to your ECU based on the exact size and bit rate of this file. All of your calibrations are made based off of this file, so that they all match up with exactly what is on your vehicle. When the dealer flashes a different file on your car, this changes the file characteristics, and thus the handheld will not recognize it. You will be unable to flash over this new dealer software, the device has safeguards to prevent writing an older tune to the ECU so that you do not damage the ECU. We like to use the most updated software versions from the manufacturer, so if the dealer updates your software it is important to stay current with that file. Flashing back to stock before dealer visit is the safest way to play it. The handheld will know you have flashed the original file back to the ECU, and if there is different software present, it will also know. But it will be in a ready state where you can simply re-read the new file.

If you take a trip to the dealer, and then your handheld denies communication with the ECU, well your ECU was updated. This is why flashing back to stock is important, if the device thinks you still have a modified file on the ECU, but then goes to communicate with it and sees a completely different file signature, it will lock up.

-In regards to inspection/emissions:

You do not have to flash back to stock for state inspection or emissions testing. All of your original ECU information will be present in the tune file, just like normal. Yes, passing emissions will be absolutely no problem with the tune present on the car. If anything, it will likely be more efficient with the tune present.

Which leads me to something very important. Some will say that a piggyback device and direct flash are basically the same thing, and I believe that to be entirely untrue. Fueling and fuel rates, timing, and economy tables (air flow correlations and congruency) are completely changed in a direct flash (at least ours is) to deliver better efficiency all across the board, and in ALL scenarios of driving whether it be highway cruising or pedal to the floor. The values are actually different within the ECU file.

An external piggyback that is altering one parameter can only change that one parameter, and is at the complete mercy of the stock ECU tables to adjust accordingly. The problem being the stock ECU tables were created with pre-determined scenarios for a certain level of performance and boost. If you change just boost, and especially if you are changing it via signal modification, you are hoping that the stock ECU adjust all of the other 100 parameters to act accordingly. If done improperly, your efficiency will actually be worse, the ECU will dump fuel and retard timing, among many other things.

A piggyback tuned properly is done so with all of these parameters documented and evaluated up to the threshold where they go wrong. A direct flash can change them completely to its liking, and done right can be even better for emissions and fuel economy.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We with automatics ....will there be some transmission tweeks that accompany the tune? ...and also, down the road, should I do a full exhaust change, would this then be considered a full custom tune to match a larger diameter exhaust pipe?
Yes, there are a few parameters that deal specifically with the automatic gearbox that are optimized.

And yes, we can customize the tune to better utilize a full exhaust change with no problem.

·
Registered
488 Posts
How much longer till real time tuning via my laptop?

:)
I understand what you are asking, Chris, since I came out of the Miata/MX5 world using a laptop for tunes from both Joe and Jay. ...I think the handheld is going to be that much more convenient for us. i will have to say though, I am done doing many many tuning runs and shipping emails back and forth. Hoping that this tuning will be the be all, end all performance package that will get me where I want. question though ....living at 5820+ will this tune cover the fueling requirements for me, so that I am not running too rich or too lean?

1 - 20 of 448 Posts