Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the forum and am considering buying a 124.

I'm still on the fence but both legs are on the Fiat side with the MX 5 pretty much behind me.

For your purchase of the Abarth, Classica, or Lusso, what factor(s) tipped the scale for you?

·
Registered
233 Posts
I had a 2000 MX5 . It was a great little car, then after 100,000 miles or so, it started nickle and diming me. Had to replace the top, and then the AC went out (I live in Florida), so I traded it in for a new 2011 VW Jetta-which I still own.

After I "discovered" the Fiat Spider, I started thinking...as my friends started dropping off or having major health issues...I'm a "senior" and I decided it was time to drop some cash. I loved drove the new MX5 and liked it, but the ones I found were too expensive and the dealership gave me the runaround. On the way home, I decided to pull into the local Alfa/Fiat dealership..just for comparison. I drove the ONLY 6-speed manual on the lot-but it was a more expensive Lusso model and it was in the high 20's, but it was awesome. Within a couple days I started searching for a Classica within 100 miles. I found one in Fort Pierce and drove down for a test drive. A couple days later I called them and told them if they'd drive it up to me in Melbourne, I'd buy it. They did and I did, and I haven't regretted it....They wouldn't give me "squat" for my Jetta-which is still in excellent shape but has 95 thou on it. So, I still have my Jetta for my "everyday" car.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I went with the Lusso. The Abarth didn't appear to offer much actual performance improvement over it and seemed mostly to be zoomy red stuff. The Lusso ride was plenty stiff and the Bilstein shocks would just make it that much more. I don't plan to track it or do any major mods, so I bought the accessories I wanted on the stock car - essentially everything available but with the manual transmission. If you plan to do a lot of hard driving, the LSD + Bilsteins + Brembos is probably worth it.

I've had it for a year now and am very pleased with it. I'm tempted by the ECU tune, but I'll stick with it as is for a while yet.

·
Registered
556 Posts
the sport mode on the Abarth for me... it's addictive
everything else is nice too.
and at the end of the day, it wasn't much more money than a lusso, so why not?
not as old as Uncle Mike, but getting there.. and I always said when I was too old to ride my bikes I'd get a little sprts car.
my wife said "you should just get one now"

so I did.
white Abarth w/ a heritage stripe for me.
love this car

·
Super Moderator
794 Posts
Hi David,

I'm still in the market myself but am set on the Abarth.

The Classica was never really in the running because as this will be my once-in-a-lifetime dream car purchase, I wanted just a little more.

So I test drove the Lusso and Abarth back to back, same roads.

To my uneducated and inexperienced but, the difference was like night and day. The Lusso was a nice car. The Abarth was a GREAT car. The brakes (it had Brembos on it), the suspension, and the sound...just wow fun!

I must have one, but my hunt continues.

I also prefer the look of the Abarth...it's what I've wanted all my life.

·
Registered
242 Posts
It was always the Abarth for me. First, I insist on leather seats, which ruled out the Classica. Then I insisted on the manual 6, which for at least 9 months effectively ruled out the Lusso, but the Lusso was really never in the running, because I was replacing a 2010 MX 5 with Bilstein shocks and LSD, and I wanted them again, although I don't drive "hard" really, and I don't track it. The final nail is the Sport mode on the Abarth. It REALLY makes a difference. And it is really good. I only drive in the Sport mode. I was lucky to get a very, very good deal on my Abarth. Good luck to you.

Reactions: DavidH

·
Registered
107 Posts
I started off test driving the MX-5 RF and loved it. I had wanted one since the mid 1990's, but never got a chance to pull the trigger on one. I started watching all the videos I could on the car and that is where I found that Fiat and Mazda co-developed the cars. I liked the look of the MX-5, but loved the look of the 124. Still, I had an RF picked out and reserved, my girlfriend and I were going to fly to Arizona to get the car, and then road trip it back home (via Joshua Tree State park, then coastal hwy 1).

But I kept finding myself admiring the 124 spider. I was now ONLY watching 124 spider videos, I had stopped watching the MX-5 videos. 72 hours before going to pick up my new RF, I scheduled a test drive with a local Fiat dealership near my work and my girlfriend drove down to test drive it with me. I knew I had to drive it to scratch that itch. Once done, I'd be back to getting my RF, because I knew it was the right car for me. We drove a red Lusso with saddle interior, beautiful car. We didn't get to drive an abarath, but did get to hear the exhaust note (they would only idle it for us), incredible sound from it.

I spent the entire ride home, convincing myself that I needed to get the RF, because I had the deal arranged, flights arranged, hotels arranged, time off work arranged.....but I loved the Fiat (looks and driving) more than the RF.

I was about to marry the wrong girl, and I knew it.

I called the dealership in AZ to cancel my purchase. I then spend the next few months tracking down my car, nearly 3000 miles away. I still like the MX-5, but they don't WOW me like the 124 spider does. My car is gorgeous, and I love it!

·
Registered
480 Posts
I own a 2000 miata, which I purchased used. the car is all but indestructible. I have seen so many of the hammered on autocross courses and never seen a failure. the suspensions are simple and functional. with the addition of a supercharger, this little car can be insane fun. I purchased my abarth unseen without a test drive, my confidence in two generations of suspension tweaks can only make it better. these are one of the few selections which come in the traditional front engine rear drive format with a manual transmission. my choice for the abarth was easy, I would have done the price difference in upgrades from a classica or lusso, so i opted for the badges as well to confuse the uneducated (almost nobody knows what it is). for just under 30k i thought it was a bargain.

·
Super Moderator
794 Posts
I started off test driving the MX-5 RF and loved it. I had wanted one since the mid 1990's, but never got a chance to pull the trigger on one. I started watching all the videos I could on the car and that is where I found that Fiat and Mazda co-developed the cars. I liked the look of the MX-5, but loved the look of the 124. Still, I had an RF picked out and reserved, my girlfriend and I were going to fly to Arizona to get the car, and then road trip it back home (via Joshua Tree State park, then coastal hwy 1).

But I kept finding myself admiring the 124 spider. I was now ONLY watching 124 spider videos, I had stopped watching the MX-5 videos. 72 hours before going to pick up my new RF, I scheduled a test drive with a local Fiat dealership near my work and my girlfriend drove down to test drive it with me. I knew I had to drive it to scratch that itch. Once done, I'd be back to getting my RF, because I knew it was the right car for me. We drove a red Lusso with saddle interior, beautiful car. We didn't get to drive an abarath, but did get to hear the exhaust note (they would only idle it for us), incredible sound from it.

I spent the entire ride home, convincing myself that I needed to get the RF, because I had the deal arranged, flights arranged, hotels arranged, time off work arranged.....but I loved the Fiat (looks and driving) more than the RF.

I was about to marry the wrong girl, and I knew it.

I called the dealership in AZ to cancel my purchase. I then spend the next few months tracking down my car, nearly 3000 miles away. I still like the MX-5, but they don't WOW me like the 124 spider does. My car is gorgeous, and I love it!
I LOVE this story. At first it sounds like an addiction...I was only watching XYZ videos and I couldn't stop!

And then "about to marry the wrong girl"...great metaphor. Congrats on going with you heart despite the awkwardness!

·
Registered
453 Posts
For me, the Abarth simply had the "It" factor. I noticed it online, confirmed it in the showroom and sealed it with a test drive.

I was looking at $50k luxury sedans, so the price difference between the 3 124 models was irrelevant to me. Either way I was saving a ton of money.

Finally, I'm far from a car enthusiast. In fact, I didn't even know what modifications were until I found this site. From a performance perspective, the Abarth has plenty for this novice. I'm intrigued by the EC Tune but with Sport Mode I haven't felt the need for the upgrade. Yet! Spring of 2018 looks good though!!

For now, it's plenty of miles and smiles as is.
Best car decision I've ever made.

·
Registered
587 Posts
There are countless threads like this so take some time and read all of them, and when you drive all 3 you will be able to make the decision. For me it was a Red manual Abarth and I did not care at all for the other 2 models...I probably would have bought another Porsche otherwise.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Interesting reading too...

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/family-feud-mazda-mx-5-versus-fiat-124/

For me it was the option of a harder edged MX5 not available in Australia. Whilst I love all MX5s (and have owned many in the past & have an NA) the Abarth offered Italian flare, Japanese build, more power/torque, stiffer all round and a price similar to an MX5 2.0 GT...& yes the 'sport' button really makes a difference.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I considered a Lusso or an Abarth, my wife wanted Sirius XM (part of the lux package) and I don't think it was available on the Classica. I went with the Abarth because of the Limited Slip Differential, Sport Mode, and the suspension. The price difference between the Lusso and Abarth isn't all that much considering what you get.

At the time, there weren't any Abarths optioned the way I wanted anywhere in New England, so I wound up ordering the car. It was a long wait, (10 months) but in the end, it was worth it. Its a great car!

·
Super Moderator
1,236 Posts
Bob Z stated most of my reasons. I had a 2000 Moats SE with around 100k. It was mechanically sound and tight, never hit or thrashed. But I wanted something new. The MT6 problems on the ND put me off, as well as the consensus that the car had too much roll and the steering wasn't very good. The Abarth has none of these issues. Plus the engine is a gem that has had much development done with it.
I recently spent some time with a guy who owns a ND RF and when we parted I was sure I'd bought the right car. It's just too bad that Chrysler is involved since I don't think much of them.
Best regards
Pete

·
Registered
103 Posts
My primary use of the 124 Spider is touring with the wife on board. As a result, I went with a fully loaded Lusso. We've taken some pretty long multi-day road trips in a variety of conditions and road types. The fully loaded Lusso provides as comfortable and quiet a ride with as many creature comforts as you can get in the Spider. Obviously my priorities are very different from those looking for more performance or planning on making a lot of mods, etc.

·
Registered
697 Posts
so i have a black and red 2012 500 abarth. while i was at the dealership getting service on it, i thought, what the heck, i'll walk in the show room and see what the pricing is on the new 500's, and what new features they have, if they have improved styling. not gonna buy one, but i'm waiting on my car anyway, be fun to go look and see.

the moment i walked in the showroom, there are three spider 124s on the floor. red, black and white. my jaw hits the floor, and from that moment, i knew i'd be buying one.

(i already had a 2013 SS2 camaro optioned up, and the 500 abarth.... there was no way i could sell having three cars to my wife. made no sense at all. She had a car, and there were three other cars in our driveway or along the street for kiddos)

That was maybe october. by december 23 i had bought a rosso red abarth and i now have a black wrap trunk and hood, and several upgrades, first and foremost the EC tune.

have never regretted it. bought the automatic to please my wife as she will drive it some times, at times i've wanted the manual, but with the EC tune, you really don't miss it too badly.

Camaro is sold way under value. 500 abarth is kept as a 2nd toy. it's fun in a different way.

my a8arth license plate is on order

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I had a 2000 MX5 . It was a great little car, then after 100,000 miles or so, it started nickle and diming me. Had to replace the top, and then the AC went out (I live in Florida), so I traded it in for a new 2011 VW Jetta-which I still own.

After I "discovered" the Fiat Spider, I started thinking...as my friends started dropping off or having major health issues...I'm a "senior" and I decided it was time to drop some cash. I loved drove the new MX5 and liked it, but the ones I found were too expensive and the dealership gave me the runaround. On the way home, I decided to pull into the local Alfa/Fiat dealership..just for comparison. I drove the ONLY 6-speed manual on the lot-but it was a more expensive Lusso model and it was in the high 20's, but it was awesome. Within a couple days I started searching for a Classica within 100 miles. I found one in Fort Pierce and drove down for a test drive. A couple days later I called them and told them if they'd drive it up to me in Melbourne, I'd buy it. They did and I did, and I haven't regretted it....They wouldn't give me "squat" for my Jetta-which is still in excellent shape but has 95 thou on it. So, I still have my Jetta for my "everyday" car.
Thank you for telling your story, Mike.

I've test driven both the Mx 5 and the 124 spider.

The Fiat might be only 5 inches longer but to me it feels more substantial and less toylike.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
the sport mode on the Abarth for me... it's addictive
everything else is nice too.
and at the end of the day, it wasn't much more money than a lusso, so why not?
not as old as Uncle Mike, but getting there.. and I always said when I was too old to ride my bikes I'd get a little sprts car.
my wife said "you should just get one now"

so I did.
white Abarth w/ a heritage stripe for me.
love this car
Hey Greg,

I also like the increased performance with the Abarth.

I should get your wife to talk to my wife... :cool:

·
Registered
556 Posts
Hey Greg,

I also like the increased performance with the Abarth.

I should get your wife to talk to my wife... :cool:
Lol.
I failed to mention she has a Cooper S, so I wanted to be on par.... it’s not a competition (but it is)

:)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts