Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
They want $305.00 for a wind screen at Mopar Parts on line. Can I just go to Home
Depot and make one out of plexiglass?.. anybody else have any ideas. $305 is a little steep for old Grandpa Bill.
All replies appreciated.
Thanks
Bill, Austin
:eek::eek:

·
Vendor
3,099 Posts
$305 seems pretty reasonable to me. Lots of windshields today are 500-800. You can't really make one out of plexiglass for a street car, there are too many problems with that to describe here.

Greg

·
Registered
205 Posts
$305 seems pretty reasonable to me. Lots of windshields today are 500-800. You can't really make one out of plexiglass for a street car, there are too many problems with that to describe here.

Greg
Guessing installation will have a premium. Rain sensors tend to do that.

·
Registered
114 Posts
sorry posed in error thought this was about the wind deflector?!

If so see my post in What did you do to your Fiat 124 Spider today?
for $100 option

·
Registered
205 Posts
sorry posed in error thought this was about the wind deflector?!

If so see my post in What did you do to your Fiat 124 Spider today?
for $100 option
If this is for the windscreen at the rear of the cabin, reference price used should be the mopar windscreen: Here $439
I'm going to guess there's a wide margin in which one can produce one for less and undersell the price of the mopar part.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Sounds like a good candidate for 3D printing your own? Not sure though if the 3D printers for home use can accommodate an object this size, or if it would require a commercial grade printer.

Thx, S

·
Registered
560 Posts
I can think of three other options. 1- is to wait for Windrestrictor (or one of the vendors here) to come up with one especially for our cars, 2 - is to get the clear one that one of the miata forum people makes (you can search on this forum for a link to it), or 3- just keep the one that comes with the car. It works well.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I like the profile of the stock wind deflector; I can raise, along with lowering & locking, the top without too much fuss.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have one on order from Windrestrictor. Will be shipped in June. OEM style for raising the top with Abarth etching and red LED.

·
Registered
413 Posts
If you're looking for an OE replacement, from the research I've done, the MAZDA version of the part, if it's the same, is often cheaper than the Mopar one.

onlinemazdaparts.com has a pretty easy to navigate interface.

I'll be making my own taller wind deflector that's spring-loaded so it can be in place and my wife still toss her purse on the back dash with the top up :D I've been busy with other work, though, and haven't had a chance to finish prototyping it yet. I'm hoping to have it done by late summer.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I was thinking about ordering one from windrestrictor but before hitting the 'buy' button, I wanted to know if it would work so I created my own card board deflector to see how big the benefit of a larger wind deflector would be.
A bit to my surprise, it didn't seem an improvement. I even think the air flow around my head became slightly worse.
So I don't think I will invest in an alternative wind deflector.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
948 Posts
You're right Bill! It's a lot of $$ for something that probably won't work. It's always puzzled me about these things because you can just roll the windows up and it's pretty effective at reducing noise and wind. If I was that worried I'd have bought a coupe!
best regards
Pete

·
Registered
89 Posts
With all the comments lately we decide to just yank the stock one for a bit. It was noticeably windier with it out. I always have the windows down but wife likes hers up. Hats, hair, stuff like that.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Agree.
Plus imo, the stock one is cheap, useless and ugly. I took it out and love the clean look.

Filling the holes with the 3D printed inserts found on this site.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts