Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
124 Spider Vendor
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Great weekend of Fiata vs Miata Battle at Willow Springs Raceway!

It is shaping up to be an epic battle between these cars, they share the strength of a great chassis and yet each flavor has strengths and weaknesses. Ryan Passey and I took turns with each car and matched times in the Fiat which was just a tick ahead of the Miata on this day, but the tires on the Fiat were more fresh...the one flaw in our testing on this day which was more about making sure the cars are each well balanced and ready for Grassroots MotorSports Magazine to do a shootout on fresh Rival 1.5 tires in two weeks!

Cars were otherwise as identical as we could make them. Our Ohlins coilovers with springs rates 9kg front, 5kg rear on both, our Progress Sway bars on both, our 17x9 6UL wheels on both, Rival S 245/40 tires on both. Each car sporting our full exhaust systems. Fiat has our highflow 2.5 inch Crosspipe and Midpipe, muffler delete....plus prototype highflow converter. Miata has our longtube race header and one of our 2.5 inch highflow mufflers. Heights are the same, alignments are the same, etc. Miata has a tuned ECU, Fiat has Madness piggyback. Same Blackbird upgraded roll protection in each, same Good-Win decals (good for 5hp. :wink: )

Despite the extraordinary efforts to match the setups.... the feel is still very different, and not talking about just the motors. The extra half a foot of length beyond the wheelbase front and rear of the Fiat and the extra weight of the fiat in the nose means the polar moment is not as low...and you feel the difference when you jump from seat of one to the other. But turbo thrust out of the corners also obvious...and helpful to rotate the car into the front straight, etc. Two weeks to wait for the shootout on equal tires!

On Track Pics Courtesy CaliPhotography. Skidpad pic by Brian Goodwin

·
124 Spider Vendor
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The one thing in our notes after first track weekend with our Fiat vs Miata test was both drivers found the Fiat was at a disadvantage to the Miata on brakes. The Fiat had our four piston upgrade on stock size two-piece rotors and our Miata was on our Premium Good-Win Racing 12.88 inch Big Brakes. The 'Streets' of Willow Springs Raceway is not a seriously big or fast track, only hitting a bit over 100 on the two straights, but the downhill braking zone put enough heat stress on the brakes that it was enough to separate the performance of our Fiat with four piston upgrade on stock size two-piece rotors from our Miata using our 12.88 big brakes and SIX piston caliper. The Miata braking was consistent and smooth and driver could be late on the brakes with confidence they were going to brake and make the turn-in. The Fiat several times faded enough to go deeper than planned into the brake zone and that meant the line into the next turn lacked consistency for both our drivers.

Thus....on with our big 12.88 kit and our six piston setup!

·
124 Spider Vendor
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Back from the Battle...great day of fun and driving!

We ran our own transponders so we could keep the results under wraps until the Magazine hits newstands.

So, I cannot say which car won...but I can say both cars about a full second faster than prior event thanks to super fresh April date coded Rivals....and that was despite fact it was hotter day.

These are my quick pics on phone, they got some amazing pics that we will see when the magazine arrives. Thanks to all involved for the great day.

·
Super Moderator
951 Posts
Thanks for the great posts Brian. It reinforced the comparison of the cars to ice cream, which I think came from you quite some time ago.
The comment mentioned that the cars are like vanilla and chocolate. Both are very capable, satisfying, and distinctive.
I'm very happy that we have such a trouble-free transmission in the 124.
Best regards,
Pete

·
Registered
114 Posts
Don't have the current issue, but read online that the 124 bested the miata by about a second per lap. Does that sound about right, Brian?

·
Vendor
3,099 Posts
Don't have the current issue, but read online that the 124 bested the miata by about a second per lap. Does that sound about right, Brian?
I am anxious to read this article. I'll probably wait a few weeks before I post my thoughts though. People put a lot of work into this magazine article, and advertisers paid to be seen near the article. It wouldn't be fair to summarize it while it's fresh on the newsstands.

Greg

·
Registered
80 Posts
Any body looking to sell their red Brembo Calipers

This looked like as good a place as any to ask. I recently Purchased an 124 Abarth It has the suspension but curiously they didn't include the Brembo calipers.
So for those of you who upgraded your Abarth Brakes and have the original reds. You have a willing buyer right here.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts