Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Earlier today I visited the main dealer where almost 4 months ago I purchased a new Fiat 124 Spider. I asked the service manager what their labour charges would be for an oil and filter change, with me providing the parts. He quoted £90. Seemed high, so I asked him how long the job would take. He said, 1 hour. He then added that hourly labour charges for a spider where more than other vehicles in the Fiat brand. Am I naive to think hourly labour charges for an oil and filter change should be the same irrespective of differing Fiat models?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Earlier today I visited the main dealer where almost 4 months ago I purchased a new Fiat 124 Spider. I asked the service manager what their labour charges would be for an oil and filter change, with me providing the parts. He quoted £90. Seemed high, so I asked him how long the job would take. He said, 1 hour. He then added that hourly labour charges for a spider where more than other vehicles in the Fiat brand. Am I naive to think hourly labour charges for an oil and filter change should be the same irrespective of differing Fiat models?
Did the dealer explain why the charges where higher.

Seems a bit of a con to me, but then do you have to get it done by the dealer?

·
Registered
958 Posts
My dealer charged me $13 for changing my oil and filter and $19 for rotating the tires (or tyres for you). In the U.S. dealers have figured out that if they don't have some "loss leaders," they won't have enough service business.

Reactions: Stelvio

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did the dealer explain why the charges where higher.

Seems a bit of a con to me, but then do you have to get it done by the dealer?
Hi snowman, no the dealer offered no explanation why their hourly labour rates were higher for work on a spider than other Fiat models.

The owners manual say the oil and filter should be changed every 12 months or, 9000 miles, whichever is the sooner. I intend to change the oil every 4500 miles. For me this equates to three times a year. I'll change the filter every second oil change.

The dealers labour charges are too expensive. I plan to service the car myself, in accordance with the service schedule. Keep all receipts for parts together with a record when particular work was done and at what mileage. Hopefully, that would suffice in the event of any warranty issues.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Hi snowman, no the dealer offered no explanation why their hourly labour rates were higher for work on a spider than other Fiat models.

The owners manual say the oil and filter should be changed every 12 months or, 9000 miles, whichever is the sooner. I intend to change the oil every 4500 miles. For me this equates to three times a year. I'll change the filter every second oil change.

The dealers labour charges are too expensive. I plan to service the car myself, in accordance with the service schedule. Keep all receipts for parts together with a record when particular work was done and at what mileage. Hopefully, that would suffice in the event of any warranty issues.
I hope you understand that changing the oil and filter on this car involves removing some panels under the car.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hope you understand that changing the oil and filter on this car involves removing some panels under the car.
Hi JFernald, thanks for your comments. There is no requirement to access the oil filter from under the car. Unlike the mx 5, on the spider it's fairly easy to access from under the hood.

The panels underneath the car require removal to access the engine oil drain plug. Early on in my ownership, I removed each of the bolts, securing the sump panel, cleaned the threads and applied copperslip hoping to ease future access.

Happy Motoring,
Martin

·
Registered
958 Posts
Hi JFernald, thanks for your comments. There is no requirement to access the oil filter from under the car. Unlike the mx 5, on the spider it's fairly easy to access from under the hood.

The panels underneath the car require removal to access the engine oil drain plug. Early on in my ownership, I removed each of the bolts, securing the sump panel, cleaned the threads and applied copperslip hoping to ease future access.

Happy Motoring,
Martin
My comment was to caution you that you will have to raise the front of the car in order to remove the panel(s). This makes it a bit more involved that a typical oil change. If you have a lift available, no problem. Otherwise, you will need jack stands or ramps.

Reactions: M7ART

·
Registered
805 Posts
Hey M7ART:

Been in the auto repair business many decades...would always tell my clients that " Changing the oil without changing a filter is akin to taking a shower with your socks on!!" Take the time and change the filter. It pays dividends. An other "adage"
applied to oil leaks: "Oil leaks are like cockroaches....there's never just one!!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Hefbadr, appreciate you taking the time to pass on your advice. Thank you. On this occasion, as said earlier in the thread, I will be changing the oil filter in accordance with the manufactures service scheduled. Thanks again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts