Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The coolant in 124 Abarth is a little low so I went to the Fiat dealer to purchase a gallon. The parts person (very helpful) looked up the coolant (he needed my vin to do this - strange) required for the 124 Spider and got the part number and went an got the coolant. When I looked at the coolant it was purple and the coolant in my Abarth is green. I mentioned that little fact to him stating I only needed to top of my coolant and you can't colors/formulas. He agreed but he wanted to verify my car had green coolant. So I popped the hood and showed him. It was green. So he called a tech out to look at it since Fiat called for the 10 year purple variety versus the 5 year green stuff. The first question I was asked was did I change the coolant!! NO! I also told him that only this dealership has touched this car. So the parts guy calls Chrysler's equivalent of a help desk to ask about the coolant and they tell him they don't handle coolant and that he needed to open a "STAR" request. The "STAR" people are the problem solvers for Fiat. So we went and checked the color of the coolant in 2 Spiders the dealer had on the lot to see what color coolant they had. They both had green! One was an Abarth. Then we talked with a Service Advisor and his answer was if it has green then we put green in it!! The parts guy was not pleased as he said Fiat calls for purple!! Needless to say I didn't buy any coolant and the parts guy is going to open a "STAR" on this Monday.

The primary reason for this long winded account is to share with the forum members that it appears the Fiat documentation is either not accurate or they don't follow their own specs. I didn't check the manual to see what it said because frankly this is WAY to difficult.

Cheers

·
Registered
82 Posts
The filler cap on my 2016 Fiat 124 spider is marked "fl22". this is a Mazda coolant which is green in colour. The car is manufactured by Mazda. Personally I think the conclusion is obvious. Previously, others have disagreed. Each to their own.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I am glad that you are looking into it in a methodical way. I was precisely afraid of a well-meaning mechanic topping-off my level with the wrong stuff. I bet that MX-5s use the green one.
EDIT: M7ART beat me to it.
EDIT 2: I just checked, and M7ART has it right: my cap says FL22, green stuff.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The filler cap on my 2016 Fiat 124 spider is marked "fl22". this is a Mazda coolant which is green in colour. The car is manufactured by Mazda. Personally I think the conclusion is obvious. Previously, others have disagreed. Each to their own.
Hi M7ART, my cap doesn't specify color or type of coolant both I and the parts guy looked for a label or anything that stated which to use. The two other Spiders didn't specify coolant either on their caps. Cheers.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Go to Mazda and see what they sell if it's green then you put green unless those Japs put green in all vehicles.
See what the 500 ABARTH has.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Hi M7ART, my cap doesn't specify color or type of coolant both I and the parts guy looked for a label or anything that stated which to use. The two other Spiders didn't specify coolant either on their caps. Cheers.
Sure you didn't look at the forward cap (overflow)? Mazda fills MX-5s and 124 Spiders with FL22 premix coolant, which is Ford/Mazda's extended life coolant (green) at the factory, and the rearward coolant reservoir cap (Mazda) recommends same. If choosing other brands, it is most important that your coolant choice be OAT, extended life, ethylene glycol based and 2-EHA free.
2-ethylhexanoate (2-EHA) is a cost-effective but controversial additive that softens plastics, particularly silicone, leading to leaks from affected sealing materials, which means that silicone cannot be used in gaskets, O-rings, and hoses if the antifreeze contains 2-EHA.
Fiat specifies Mopar 68163848AB (or equivalent) Antifreeze/Coolant ~ 10 Year/150,000 Mile Formula OAT (Organic Additive Technology) premixed 55/45 with distilled water. Color is purple, so mixed with the green, it will turn black, but is the correct coolant. The only way to keep the color correct is to buy the Mazda coolant, or the Ford/Motorcraft branded equivalent.

(Not to be confused with North American green coolants)

Coolant Capacity:
7.6 qt. (7.2 liter) with six-speed manual
7.5 qt. (7.1 liter) with six-speed automatic

·
Super Moderator
1,210 Posts
Checked our Abarth 124 and our MX5 RF and both are identical shades of bright green.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts

(Not to be confused with North American green coolants)

Ok this is the confusing part...is this because that any generic coolant brand makes their coolant green in the US, to make it appear to be 'special'?

(Special meaning via regulation, or that green is easily identifiable as a coolant).

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I am not an expert in coolants; I've just done quite a bit of research in preparation for my Specs section.

Regarding coolant colors (from a very interesting article):

American conventional green coolants use doses of both silicates and phosphates. Phosphates also protect aluminum quickly, but have raised concerns in hard water. OAT coolants contain no silicates and no phosphates.
primarily to differentiate from "DexCool" coolants. In Japan however, green is now the standard for OAT, extended life, ethylene glycol based and 2-EHA free for aluminum engine cooling.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
The industry really screwed up coolant for sure.

·
Registered
958 Posts
The coolant in 124 Abarth is a little low so I went to the Fiat dealer to purchase a gallon. The parts person (very helpful) looked up the coolant (he needed my vin to do this - strange) required for the 124 Spider and got the part number and went an got the coolant. When I looked at the coolant it was purple and the coolant in my Abarth is green. I mentioned that little fact to him stating I only needed to top of my coolant and you can't colors/formulas. He agreed but he wanted to verify my car had green coolant. So I popped the hood and showed him. It was green. So he called a tech out to look at it since Fiat called for the 10 year purple variety versus the 5 year green stuff. The first question I was asked was did I change the coolant!! NO! I also told him that only this dealership has touched this car. So the parts guy calls Chrysler's equivalent of a help desk to ask about the coolant and they tell him they don't handle coolant and that he needed to open a "STAR" request. The "STAR" people are the problem solvers for Fiat. So we went and checked the color of the coolant in 2 Spiders the dealer had on the lot to see what color coolant they had. They both had green! One was an Abarth. Then we talked with a Service Advisor and his answer was if it has green then we put green in it!! The parts guy was not pleased as he said Fiat calls for purple!! Needless to say I didn't buy any coolant and the parts guy is going to open a "STAR" on this Monday.

The primary reason for this long winded account is to share with the forum members that it appears the Fiat documentation is either not accurate or they don't follow their own specs. I didn't check the manual to see what it said because frankly this is WAY to difficult.

Cheers
Since you live in California, you should just top it off with distilled water.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Sure you didn't look at the forward cap (overflow)? Mazda fills MX-5s and 124 Spiders with FL22 premix coolant, which is Ford/Mazda's extended life coolant (green) at the factory, and the rearward coolant reservoir cap (Mazda) recommends same. If choosing other brands, it is most important that your coolant choice be OAT, extended life, ethylene glycol based and 2-EHA free.

Is the Mazda coolant completely compliant with fiat spec.? Can Mazda coolant be connected to the thermostat failures in the 124?
I'm considering a coolant system flush, but I want more information.
TIA.:|

·
Registered
351 Posts
Is the Mazda coolant completely compliant with fiat spec.? Can Mazda coolant be connected to the thermostat failures in the 124?
I'm considering a coolant system flush, but I want more information.
TIA.:|
I seriously doubt that the coolant itself would have anything to do with thermostat failure. Anything in the coolant that could actually damage the thermostat is going to damage a whole bunch of other stuff, too - so the thermostat would be the least of your worries.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I find it interesting that it uses Mazda spec cooling parts, considering the Toybaru 86/FRS/BRZ use Subaru spec coolant. Maybe the cooling system parts (radiator, apparently thermostat as mentioned above) are all Mazda designed parts. Would make sense, as the thermostat housing is most likely different from the transverse 1.4 MultiAir one

·
Super Moderator
1,210 Posts
I find it interesting that it uses Mazda spec cooling parts, considering the Toybaru 86/FRS/BRZ use Subaru spec coolant. Maybe the cooling system parts (radiator, apparently thermostat as mentioned above) are all Mazda designed parts. Would make sense, as the thermostat housing is most likely different from the transverse 1.4 MultiAir one
Why are you surprised? The 124/MX5 are built in a Mazda factory, and the 86/BRZ are built in a Subaru factory.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Why are you surprised? The 124/MX5 are built in a Mazda factory, and the 86/BRZ are built in a Subaru factory.
I don't know about subaru & toyota. I just wish fiat would recognize mazda coolant as a suitable replacement. Motorcraft has the same formula as mazda in their special green. Why not Mopar?

Also, The few articles I read on this issue suggest incompatible coolants problems crop up after a couple of years and many miles. I am just suggesting the thermostat issue is a "canary in the mine shaft".

·
Registered
165 Posts
I think this is the case, although the thermostat housing is located at the rear of the engine which is consistent with a transverse design. When my 'stat was sending error signals and the service tech was trying to get a replacement, he dealt with Fiat advisors who said something about the part being a Mazda part. It could be that there was a compatability problem with the Fiat ECU.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts