Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 20 of 301 Posts

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Since @68wooley threw me under the bus on the this we'll just kick this conversation off over here.

Right now what I'm kicking around is either a May or September event. June - August is really hot out here. The itinerary would go something like this:

Friday - arrive to Grand Junction and meet up for a caravan to the Western Colorado Dragway. The races usually begin around 7 PM with check in and tech around 6 PM. You don't have to race but sure is fun if you do. It's also very cheap. $7 entry fee and $15 to race as much as you want. It's a rather small place so it's a very laid back atmosphere and would be a good place to socialize with others even if you aren't racing.

Saturday morning - Track day at Grand Junction Motor Speedway. This is actually a 0.9 mile kart track but is where we run our local racing series. It's a lot of fun and you can't build up so much speed that you can do serious damage if something goes wrong. But it will challenge your abilities for sure, much like an autocross event that you would take multiple laps doing. We don't race door-to-door. It's ran like a time trial event. Flyin' Miata does all their testing on this track and they host a large event there every year as well.

Saturday Afternoon - Approximately 2 PM we depart the track and drive an hour south to Gateway Canyon Resort where we'll check in for the night. This place is a spectacular gem along my favorite road in all of Western Colorado. It belongs to John Hendricks, the founder of the Discovery Channel. He keeps a $50 million car collection in a museum at this resort and I promise you it's worth a visit. My only hesitation about this place is it is about $450/night but it is spectacular. After visiting the museum we can socialize and dine in one of the bars and restaurants at the resort.

Sunday Morning - Option 1. After breakfast we head out to Ouray, CO for lunch and start our journey along the Million Dollar Highway. From there we could continue south to Durango where people could go their own way. The route would look like this. Option #2 would be to go to Telluride instead.

If you want to know what the scenery in this area is like, watch Season 2, Episode 6 of the The Grand Tour. They actually stayed at Gateway Canyon Resort.

I don't have an exact date yet because I don't know which weekends the dragway will be running and I'd like to piggyback off that event for those who are interested. Let me know what you think and who might be interested in this and I'll get to work.

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Spider Abarth Custom
2,430 Posts
Sounds like the start of a great weekend! I should have no problems with planning to get away this far out. The only issue is my wife will want to come and my trunk just isn't big enough for all her stuff!

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Sounds good, Steve. Not sure which month would be better. I’m leaning toward May. I’ll have to get with @Phillip33 and check his plans. It would probably be a family trip for him ending in Durango. Durango is a frequent vacation spot for them. We’re train buffs and the Million Dollar Highway is Rio Grand Southern Narrow Gauge Railway territory. I can’t confirm a commitment at this time, but I’m close.

Dan

Actually thinking of the 145. Telluride to Delores with a leg off to Ourey and Ridgeway.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds good, Steve. Not sure which month would be better. I’m leaning toward May. I’ll have to get with @Phillip33 and check his plans. It would probably be a family trip for him ending in Durango. Durango is a frequent vacation spot for them. We’re train buffs and the Million Dollar Highway is Rio Grand Southern Narrow Gauge Railway territory. I can’t confirm a commitment at this time, but I’m close.

Dan

Actually thinking of the 145. Telluride to Delores with a leg off to Ourey and Ridgeway.
145 is a beautiful drive also. The problem with shooting over to Ridgeway and Ouray from Telluride is that there is no short way to do it. I did this drive in one day once and it was awesome but I was dead tired at the end of it. BTW, how is @Phillip33 doing? I hate he had another run in with a bad driver.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
I’m in. And as I kind of steamrolled @Chainringtattoo into it, I’ll help out with any organizing if it gets that complicated.

Only restriction I have is I fly to Scotland for two weeks on May 25th so as long as we do it earlier in the month I’m good. September’s wide open right now.

Reactions: Mike34

·
865 Posts
This is cool! We have FIAT on the Dragon for the East, FIAT on the Snake for the west and now FIAT in the Rockies for midsection. These events are so much fun for meeting face to face and even people who may be at odds on forums usually hit it off when they are not behind a keyboard. These cars are what bring us all together regardless of our backgrounds.

If I can find a way to be there, I will be.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Thank you for your concern. Fortunately he was just shaken up. His doctor has him on an anti inflammatory and a muscle relaxant. He’s taking time to relax and regroup.

Dan
Glad to hear that Dan.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
FYI, that hotel, the Gateway Canyons, is listed in the Amex Rewards Travel site if you have Amex points...

Pricey, but it does look amazing.
Another option would be just stop off at Gateway Canyon and visit the car museum and then continue on to Telluride for the night. There is "slightly" more affordable lodging there and it is a nice place to visit. There would be multiple choices for drives on Sunday morning from Telluride for those who need to begin their journey home. The only issue would be getting into Telluride around dark unless we left the track earlier which is also an option.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Thanks for the thoughts.
I'm doing good just sore and have a headache (Not sure if it has anything to do with not having coffee in 2 days)
I need to find a way to cancel out this idiot magnet I've had lately.

Fiat in the Rockies sounds like a great idea.
One of the FIOTS sponsors is located in Salt Lake City Utah so we may be able to get him and the A500's in on it too.
If we can firm this up i can post it on the SoCal Abarth page too.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the thoughts.
I'm doing good just sore and have a headache (Not sure if it has anything to do with not having coffee in 2 days)
I need to find a way to cancel out this idiot magnet I've had lately.

Fiat in the Rockies sounds like a great idea.
One of the FIOTS sponsors is located in Salt Lake City Utah so we may be able to get him and the A500's in on it too.
If we can firm this up i can post it on the SoCal Abarth page too.
I emailed the manager of the Western Colorado Dragway this morning about May dates. I'm just waiting on a response.

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
I emailed the manager of the Western Colorado Dragway this morning about May dates. I'm just waiting on a response.
Hope they are better than WHP and Tucson Dragway. Been waiting weeks for an answer on event times, voicemailbox is full also, can't even leave a message.

·
Registered
203 Posts
If you are good with a noob we would love to come out. We have done the Ouray trip with our local jeep club but it will be nice to stay on the pavement for a change in that area! It is absolutely beautiful in that area. REALLY looking forward to getting Nina out on the mountain roads as opposed to the flat straight stuff here. We have a condo in Angel Fire, NM so we are game anytime you are able to get things scheduled as it is not far from that region. We will use it as another excuse to get out of the DFW area! Thanks and looking forward to it!

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
If you are good with a noob we would love to come out. We have done the Ouray trip with our local jeep club but it will be nice to stay on the pavement for a change in that area! It is absolutely beautiful in that area. REALLY looking forward to getting Nina out on the mountain roads as opposed to the flat straight stuff here. We have a condo in Angel Fire, NM so we are game anytime you are able to get things scheduled as it is not far from that region. We will use it as another excuse to get out of the DFW area! Thanks and looking forward to it!
Of course you would be welcome! The more the merrier! This has been one of the best communities that I have ever been involved with.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I just checked on Google Maps and its just over 1900 miles each way ;-(

TheSalamander

·
Registered
433 Posts

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here's a drone video a buddy and I took from Gateway Canyon Resort. Unfortunately, Youtube degraded the quality of this video a lot. If you stick around to the end you might spot a Spider.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
One more video a few miles south of Gateway Canyon Resort on Highway 141. This is my favorite stretch of canyon. If you have a loud exhaust then you'll giggle and smile from ear to ear listening to it bounce off these canyon walls.

1 - 20 of 301 Posts