Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To start, the owner's manual does not answer my questions.

I have the base Fiat Radio 3.0 system in my Classica. It does have a USB jack, and I'm really liking the use of plug in music.

I use a Sandisk Clip Sport MP3 Player, 8gig in size.

I have 4-ish gigs of music on the device, a bit over 1000 songs, loaded to the device from a W-10 desktop computer. When I transferred the music files I moved MP3 music files only, none of the other non-music files that may be part of a music CD (such as artwork, etc.).

All 1000 songs were transferred into what is essentially a single folder on the Sandisk device. I did not create separate folders, and I see no evidense that the device did, either. I have confirmed on the device screen that all the MP3 files are there, whether identified on the device by album, artist, or song title.

My issue: The car radio will not play anything more than the first 255 files. The car radio does not randomly grab any ol' group of 255, it is the same set every time. I've tried every function on the car radio to get it to play the other songs, with no luck. And when the device is plugged into the car I have no control of the device via its function buttons.

In the radio Folder function, it shows all of these songs in Folder 1. It will not show other folders- there aren't any. I have not created other folders on the Sandisk device, all 1000 songs are in one folder. Any tips to try?

Alternately, I am thinking of buying a basic thumb drive chip and load all the songs to it, hoping the car radio will then recognize all the songs, thus showing an interface problem between the car radio and the Sandisk device.

Phew. Sorry about being wordy, I wanted to cover all the info bases up front. Any assistance is appreciated.

Steve.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Follow-up, I plugged the Sandisk into the USB of my 2012 Kia Soul (base model), and it shows all 1030 songs available in one folder. And it is starting on a different song than the one it starts on in the Fiat. This makes me think its the Fiat radio having the issue.

And to make sure, I surfed around while in the Kia and yes, other artists/songs are being played that aren't in the Fiat.

Steve.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Father- I guess this would make sense. In that case, blame the car radio, because another car radio has no issue with it. Huh.

Create separate folders? Oh, man. My concept of having nothing but the MP3 files on the Sandisk was to create a simple list where I could hit the random button on the radio and drive half way across the country without hearing the same song twice. For that matter, it mixes up the artists, the genres, etc.

The entire Sandisk list, each file name begins with the track number on the CD. So, the beginning of the list has all the "01" files (75 of them), then the "02" files (about the same, 75 or so), then the "03" files, and so on. At least that way they are all mixed up by artists. Put all the 01, 02, and 03 in Folder 1, all the 04, 05, 06 in Folder 2, and so on. If your thinking works, then I'm back in business. (As I'm sitting here adding more music to the Sandisk. Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young just got loaded, ripping Dizzy Gillespie now. That's two more "01" files...)

I'll update this thread when I get done rearranging the Sandisk. Ugh. Cheaper than arguing $$ with Sirius/XM every 6 months like I do with the Soul. Well, the Fiat base radio doesn't have satellite capability anyway.

Steve.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Done, and done.

After loading a couple hundred more songs onto the computer last night, and then moving them to the Sandisk, at the computer I created six folders on the Sandisk drive, titled "Files 01-03", "Files 04-06", and so on. The last folder is called "Files 16 plus", catching the oddball albums that had over 16 songs. Then I just highlighted all the 01 through 03 files and moved them to that folder, and so forth. Now each folder has samples from every artist and every music genre, just what I wanted-- variety as it plays.

Anyway, at just under 1300 songs by probably close to 100 artists and a dozen or so genres, the first few folders are full to capacity (the 255-song folder limit of the car radio) plus a few that the radio probably will not recognize. Oh, well.

I just drove to find breakfast, playing with the radio. Yep, now the radio sees each folder, each folder has all the songs as I assigned them, and life is good once more. I just wish I had this fixed before my 850 mile, 3-day trip from Minneapolis to the Keweenaw Peninsula of the Michigan U.P. earlier this week. Gawd, what a great drive that was, even with the radio limitations. (I think rockabilly may have been my favorite genre out in the lonely north woods driving with the top down. Had to really watch the speedometer with some of those songs!)

Guido, watch your PM mailbox for 5gigs of music files. (Did y'all see Admin's hair stand up and start burning?) Just kidding. But thanks much for your help, I do appreciate it.

In retrospect, if I were starting this process over again, I think I'd skip the Sandisk device (because I have no control of it once plugged into the car radio) and just buy a new 8gig or larger USB thumb drive chip like others here did. 8gig will hold about 2000 song files. If black in color, the little storage chip is nearly invisible when installed and could be left there all the time. My Kia Soul Sirius subscription expires in September, I think I'll make a chip for it and cancel Sirius.

Steve.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello All, I have a follow-up.

First, from my June 24 message above, about creating file folders. To maintain the number of files (a.k.a. songs) in each folder to under 255, I created more folders, called "Tracks 01", "Tracks 02"... "Tracks 10", "Tracks 11-12"... "13-14"... "15-16"... "Tracks 17+". Most CDs have +/- 10 tracks, and some have more than 10. So far, I have not filled any given file folder. The neat thing about having only the first track (or fifth track, etc.) of each album in that file folder is that the result is a continuous built-in shuffle effect. I prefer this over having the whole album loaded in one spot, then hitting the shuffle button on the radio each time in the car- how do I know I'll eventually hear every song if the system is in a constant state of random shuffling? Now I don't think about it because each folder has one song from each album. Constant variety, no repeats, all songs are played, and no DJ chatter or commercials. Sweet! A Johnny Cash song plays, followed by, oh, Miles Davis, then maybe The Amazing Royal Crowns, maybe something from Davina and the Vagabonds, and then Louis Armstrong, The Dirty Dozen Brass Band, Bob Dylan... Constant variety.

Rip the CD to the computer, get into the file management, and take a minute to manually copy/paste the individual files/songs into the appropriate file folder. Easy-peasy. A couple albums takes only a couple minutes, if even. A wee-bit extra work, but worth it to me.

Now, my conundrum... at about 2500 song files I've finally filled a 16gig Sandisk Cruzer Fit USB chip. Never imagined I'd do that. Darn it! So, I've ordered two 64gig chips (one for each of our cars) of the same model from Amazon-
https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Cruz...=sandisk+cruzer+cz36+64gb+usb+2.0+flash+drive
I love this little chip. It's pretty much invisible in the car, unlike the typical thumb size thumb drives.

Now, I know that at some point I'll fill these file folders to the 255-file max, and that I'll need to create added file folders. To keep them running in order, I'll probably try naming the new folders "Tracks 01.1", etc., and see if that keeps everything in order. The radio will run through folder "Tracks 01" and then go automatically into "Tracks 01.1" before moving on to "Tracks 02". Keep in mind, these file folder size limits are necessary for the base Fiat/Mazda radio system, I don't know if the 7" screen audio upgrade (stock in Lusso/Abarth) requires this same file folder limit. Weird, because my 2012 Kia does not, it will play a million songs in one file folder.

Really, I'm not a music aficionado, but in the last couple I've become interested in small venues hosting local/regional acts (sometimes national acts), and if the band is selling a CD of their work, I always buy one to help support them, and onto the chip their music goes. I've also been exploring used record stores and our public libraries for music to discover. It's been a lot of fun, and it sure beats listening to the radio by a mile!

Steve.

p.s.- if you are curious, it has taken me since last spring (April or so) to get to near the end of the cycle of the 2500 songs I've got on the chip. Other than the same song played by different artists (welcome to the world of jazz), I haven't heard the same song twice in many months. But then there are songs I've recently loaded into early files (tracks 1 and 2, etc.) that I've not yet heard because they were added as I've been listening in later files. Oh, the variety!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts