Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
It's a niche car and make. Evidently a very small niche.

But you'd think they could at least spell Spider correctly.

Reactions: NYProf

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
You can't find them where I live in buffalo. I don't understand fiat. Zero on the lot. I drove 6 hours for mine and have not seen one in the 6 months of ownership. It's fiats best car and people don't know what they are and the local dealer can't even tell me when they are getting one in. GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER FIAT. I just hope I never need a thermostat that seems to be unavailable at dealers.

·
Registered
682 Posts
They mention Fiat's low scores for quality from JD Powers and Consumer Reports... I don't have a clue who these people are surveying, certainly not me! I own 3 Fiats and my experience with the cars has been completely positive.

FIAT does really need to step it up as far as marketing the cars and supplying cars to their dealers.

Reactions: colmfmurphy

·
Registered
561 Posts
They mention Fiat's low scores for quality from JD Powers and Consumer Reports... I don't have a clue who these people are surveying, certainly not me! I own 3 Fiats and my experience with the cars has been completely positive.

FIAT does really need to step it up as far as marketing the cars and supplying cars to their dealers.
My 124 has been back to the dealer 7 times for warranty repair - mostly within the first two months. Out of the many cars I have owned, that is by far the worst record with the exception of my old Mercury Mystique (mistake), which ended up being bought back by Ford. And the 124 is likely the Fiat with the best reliability. Still love the car, but my gosh.

Reactions: Roadscum

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
The model line up just isn't designed for the North American market. Selling 500's and Spiders isn't going to leave anyone at Ford or Toyota losing any sleep. On the other hand, Fiat are comfortably ahead of Toyota in European sales, and not that far behind Ford. Thus far, they seem to be doing pretty well in 2017 as well.

Also, the Jeep Renegade is FCA's attempt to turn a Fiat product into something palatable to NA buyers and it seems to be doing quite well (remarkably so in fact - I drove one as a rental last week and the engine and transmission are awful).

My guess is their own expectation is that they will always be a niche player over here (at least until we see gas over $3/gallon again) and are actually far more interested in how well Alfa does.

Reactions: LongBeachJim

·
Registered
726 Posts
Yes, Fiat is alive and well in Europe and possibly other global markets. Sales are regional in the U.S.. For example, I see Fiat 500's on a daily basis everywhere I look here in SoCal.

I suppose we'll have to have our cars serviced at Chrysler/Dodge dealerships if Fiat pulls out of NA. At least there's one right up the street from me, lol

·
Registered
296 Posts
3000 for launch year given limited production doesn't seem bad.

I haven't needed any dealer repairs as of 13 months 8k miles.

Had the Chrysler Jeep dealer do my last oil change. The renegade uses the same engine at the basic level... Same filter and oil specs. No issues with my oil change...

·
Registered
2017 Abarth 124 Spider
454 Posts
In California Fiat 500's are quite plentiful as are the little electric version, the 500e. Spiders...err, not so much. The only reason I know that there are others here in the SF Bay Area is because of this forum. FCA is not spending money on advertising for the Spider. It all seems to be going towards the new Alfa Giulia.

I don't mind having a car that I don't see everywhere...ok, I love having a car that I don't see everywhere. I know there's one Mazda MX-5 with the hard top in my neighborhood, and that's the only one in our small city. My big surprise was driving to SoCal and back, and in and around SoCal twice these past few months, and not seeing a single Spider. I saw one brand new MX-5 with a soft top on this past trip.

Two weekends ago I took a day trip to the Napa Valley in the car, and even the people in the Maserati next to me were looking at my car. My college friend remarked that after spending the day in the Spider, she's beginning to rethink her next car.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
In California Fiat 500's are quite plentiful as are the little electric version, the 500e. Spiders...err, not so much. ...
There's a 500 electric? Didn't know that, but then Cali residents are known to try anything to help out the planet...

Seriously, though, if they can get a powerful electric motor in the 124 frame, batteries to give a 250mile range (not just a made up 'if you drive like grandpa' range) with a decent 80% charge time, then I think it'd be pretty cool; with even more torque than it currently has...

·
Registered
204 Posts
There IMO is one reason for it. Nonexistent marketing. No one knows about the car, **** I would never have heard of its existence if I didnt happen across it while oggling an Alfa 4c.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There IMO is one reason for it. Nonexistent marketing. No one knows about the car, **** I would never have heard of its existence if I didnt happen across it while oggling an Alfa 4c.
I agree. my story is that my 500 abarth was being serviced. while i waited i said "self, i might as well go look at what the 2017 500 abarths look like and what they offer". by the time i got in the showroom, i didn't even go look at the 500. how could i, with a black, a white, and a red spider 124 staring me in the face. a month later and the rosso abarth was mine. 1st one purchased in el paso texas.

·
Registered
2017 Abarth 124 Spider
454 Posts
The 500e may only be on sale here in Cali. We have stricter emission standards, etc. A lot of them are coming off of lease right now and can be had for under $10k with fairly low mileage.

If we hadn't watched The Grand Tour and hadn't seen Hammond's segment on the Abarth Spider, we wouldn't know about it either. I always knew that he was an MX-5 fan, but he absolutely gushed about the Abarth.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
agree with what he said!!! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

·
Registered
726 Posts
The 2018's are nearly out and my 124 is still turning heads like the new celebrity in town. Poor U.S. marketing. Most people still don't know what it is. Fine with me.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts