Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
This was a known fact a while ago. I saw various post stating that all the fiats are the worst sellers meaning the cars stay in the dealer 120 days before selling in a average so. But it is good news for the few that have the car

·
Registered
90 Posts
It's ironic........ VOLVO would dance for joy if it had the sales volume of the 124 added in it's lineup.
Moral of the story ????? ...."The bigger the company, the less they care for their not-so- lucrative customers."

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Then I read in another paper that the spider will continue to be sold in the North America for 2020. only.
If Mazda still maintains the ND for 2021, the spider will continue to be sold in North America.

I assume Fiat will stop building the spider when Mazda goes into the 5th GEN.

·
Registered
141 Posts
If indeed there will be a 5th gen. I reckon this one will be around for a couple of years and if they do go on it'll be on a different platform capable of electrification.

Once people get used to, and accept, partial electrification (at least) there'll be no going back.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
I assume Fiat will stop building the spider when Mazda goes into the 5th GEN.
I might be wrong, but I remember reading somewhere that if the deal with Fiat hadn't gone through, Mazda wasn't going to continue MX-5 production - Adding the 124 to the line was a win-win for both companies. If that's true, then it may be the end of the road for both of them. (I also think it was a 5-year deal, in which case they're locked in until 2021...)

·
Registered
145 Posts
My guess is that Fiat will build out all of the 2020 model year Spiders this month, stop production and announce the discontinuation sometime next year. This approach is similar to the handling of the Crossfire partnership with Karmann.
It doesn’t make sense to keep producing a vehicle that isn’t selling, and the early out penalty of the 5-year contract is probably less $ than stockpiling more ‘20 & ‘21 model year Spiders. Remember that PSA is in the picture now and every vehicle line is under review.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I purchased my Spider knowing full-well that Fiat could drop the curtain on this model at anytime. Unless the vehicle turns out to be unreliable and the fun factor betrays me, I hope to have my Spider 20 years from now. Unlike the Miata, I think there'll be an appreciation for this vehicle decades from now. In fact, it might prove to be the nostalgic Fiat of tomorrow.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Here's a thought....... Mechanically, you or your friendly local garage will always be able to sort the Spider out as it's a MX5 (mostly) and the Multi Air unit is in abundance as it's fitted in many vehicles. Trim, no problem...MX5 (mostly) plus vehicle trimmers would love to assist you. Panels, well yes, they could over time become rare, however...classic car owners are still sourcing panels from "barn finds" as scrapyards, classic car clubs like Triumph and MG and set up operations to make and supply, so....if you can afford to tuck your 124 Spider away over time and use it as a Fun / show car, enjoy becoming a Classic car enthusiast who every now and then searches for and sources parts to keep his chariot running and looking good, then you can continue to belong to supportive communities like this one, participate and befriend like minded people and enjoy owning and running this Fantastic little Sports car well into the future.
I joined the MG Owners club at the beginning (first 100 members) when we met in a field behind the Cross Keys pub in Flitwick, Beds, UK, have owned a variety of MG's over the years and watched the MG Owners club become a Major player, so with a great car like the one we own there is no reason why, and we are already International, between us we can't assist each other in keeping our cars running, selling them on to each other as we move on or clock off........
Having Modded my Spider and kept all the original parts, as have many other members, we already have a stockroom full.....Cheers and Seasons Greetings 🎅
ron

·
Registered
17 Posts
Whether the car will hold it's value or appreciate is not that important to me as I bought my Fiat Ckassica because it is beautiful, handles well, has a 6 speed transmission and most importantly it's fun to drive. That said there is an argument to be made that the Fiat 124 could appreciate because the car has only been in production for less a few years and what drives value is demand and availability. In a future world dominated by EV's a beautiful Italian bodied Japanese assembed sports car might become pricess.

·
Registered
24 Posts
JM2C, I read a report that the names for the 3 models of the spyder will change and that production for north America will stop, that doesn't really mean that they will stop in Europe. It could just be another marketing tool like the one use by Ford, Chevrolet and GMC. While production of the Ford Ranger stopped in the US, the production continued in Asia, and just recently they introduced it back in the US. Also, Nissan with the Frontier, they actually came out with one with a 4 cylinder Cummins diesel but is not offered in the US, as far as I know, but maybe coming in the next few years. Bottom line, I don't really think Spider is going anywhere soon, more likely they be supplying other locations outside the US.

·
Registered
54 Posts
My guess is that Fiat will build out all of the 2020 model year Spiders this month, stop production and announce the discontinuation sometime next year. This approach is similar to the handling of the Crossfire partnership with Karmann.
It doesn’t make sense to keep producing a vehicle that isn’t selling, and the early out penalty of the 5-year contract is probably less $ than stockpiling more ‘20 & ‘21 model year Spiders. Remember that PSA is in the picture now and every vehicle line is under review.
Yep.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I haven't even gotten my Spider yet and I told the wife there's be at least one more in the future... the Partspider... I owned a Triumph TR-6 once... and by "a Triumph TR-6" I mean one that ran and two that didn't...

·
Registered
227 Posts
Now that I think about it, a 2020 discontinuation makes sense; the Miata received a mid-generation refresh in 2019, and the 124 came out a year after the ND. I would bet the agreement between the companies only covers the first part of the generation, especially with how much effort Fiat is putting forward.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
With regards to maintenance on an ‘expired’ car: dealers are barely capable of changing the oil on this vehicle, let alone ripping into the engine to do advanced maintenance (might be a bit too harsh). The only advantage they have is access to a workshop manual, and a few specialized tools (e.g. fender sensor/detector alignment).

·
Registered
57 Posts
Now that I think about it, a 2020 discontinuation makes sense; the Miata received a mid-generation refresh in 2019, and the 124 came out a year after the ND. I would bet the agreement between the companies only covers the first part of the generation, especially with how much effort Fiat is putting forward.
I'm expecting 2020 to be the final model year. IIRC, it's already done in Europe...

21 - 40 of 51 Posts