Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Classica
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took a long weekend road trip to New York’s Finger Lakes. It is close to home, but also is picturesque. The roads are ideal for our Spiders as well. Last year during the pandemic we traveled around Seneca Lake. This year we started around Cayuga lake and made are way to Skaneateles. We bookended the trip with stops at two beautiful State Parks- Taughanock and Fillmore Glen.

It had been many years since I’d been to Skaneateles. This weekend was summer-like and the sports cars were out. There were Miatas aplenty. We also saw multiple Lamborghinis, Ferraris, Corvettes and Lotuses. But there was only one 124 Spider. The funny thing is, our car got a lot of attention. Many people came up to us to ask us about the 124. My wife, who is generally oblivious to all things Spider, even commented about how many people were coming up to us.

We literally used every inch of trunk space, the two “secret compartments” behind the seat, the cubby and under the seat space. They held luggage, purchased wine and some souvenirs.

The roads in the Finger Lakes seem to be better maintained than those around me. The local politicians could learn something about road maintenance from central NY.

All-in-all it was a great weekend!

·
Registered
18 Abarth 6MT, all the options, Chipbox and OEM Abarth fender badges. Pedalbooster not installed
720 Posts
Yes, absolutely wonderful! I went to college at Alfred University (not far from Letchworth State Park - "The Grand Canyon of the East") and have spent many hours and days in the Finger Lakes region. Excellent roads for sport cars and motorcycles. Beautiful scenery, some fabulous wineries and my fraternity brother's craft distillery Barrel House 6 along with others. Go visit the area if you can. It'll provide many good memories. 👍

Reactions: Spider Fan Buffalo

·
Registered
125 Posts
Beautiful, those days are just meant for these cars. We have done a few road trips in the US, normally in rentals, I’d love to do one in a spider! We are currently doing a trip in the Highlands and Islands of Scotland, the NC500. If ever a route was made for this car, it is this one!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Be sure to pass on any tips for accommodation when you get back..... I'm considering doing the NC500 next month.
Hi Arthur, I think you may struggle, accommodation is booked solid given the pandemic and people vacationing ‘at home’. It’s even harder finding restaurants with availability. Next month will be harder still. We stoped at: Mercure Inverness, Breakish Pods Skye, Gairloch Hotel, Altnaharra Hotell, Mckays in Wick and Heatherwood Lodge in Dornoch, all on Booking.com. If you are able to book, you will love the trip, it is quite simply BREATHTAKING.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Hi Arthur, I think you may struggle, accommodation is booked solid given the pandemic and people vacationing ‘at home’. It’s even harder finding restaurants with availability. Next month will be harder still. We stoped at: Mercure Inverness, Breakish Pods Skye, Gairloch Hotel, Altnaharra Hotell, Mckays in Wick and Heatherwood Lodge in Dornoch, all on Booking.com. If you are able to book, you will love the trip, it is quite simply BREATHTAKING.
Thanks Walshy.... that's exactly what I imagined you'd say !!! A rethink for me on the NC500, may just have to wait a bit longer !

·
Registered
169 Posts
Absolutely gorgeous! Thanks for sharing........ That's what these cars were MADE for.... I can't even imagine doing this type of trip in a "luxury" car...... I'd be asleep in 5 minutes.

·
Registered
2020 Abarth 124 Brillante White Velleno package with Monza exhaust.
287 Posts
Took a long weekend road trip to New York’s Finger Lakes. It is close to home, but also is picturesque. The roads are ideal for our Spiders as well. Last year during the pandemic we traveled around Seneca Lake. This year we started around Cayuga lake and made are way to Skaneateles. We bookended the trip with stops at two beautiful State Parks- Taughanock and Fillmore Glen.
View attachment 85408
View attachment 85409 View attachment 85410 View attachment 85411 View attachment 85412
It had been many years since I’d been to Skaneateles. This weekend was summer-like and the sports cars were out. There were Miatas aplenty. We also saw multiple Lamborghinis, Ferraris, Corvettes and Lotuses. But there was only one 124 Spider. The funny thing is, our car got a lot of attention. Many people came up to us to ask us about the 124. My wife, who is generally oblivious to all things Spider, even commented about how many people were coming up to us.

We literally used every inch of trunk space, the two “secret compartments” behind the seat, the cubby and under the seat space. They held luggage, purchased wine and some souvenirs.

The roads in the Finger Lakes seem to be better maintained than those around me. The local politicians could learn something about road maintenance from central NY.

All-in-all it was a great weekend!
Thank you for the beautiful pictures. I love that this forum allows me to travel the world and other states through experiences members have had. Thanks again, I now have seen the beauties of New York! So it’s not just a concrete jungle. (Not my thing)

·
Registered
18 Abarth 6MT, all the options, Chipbox and OEM Abarth fender badges. Pedalbooster not installed
720 Posts
Correct! Most of NY State is beautiful hills, forest lakes, farms and mountains. When I moved to Texas briefly in 1974 friends I made were so surprised to learn that we occasionally had to help the farmer behind our neighborhood retrieve his cows if they got loose. LoL

Reactions: Spider Fan Buffalo

·
Registered
2017 Classica
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Correct! Most of NY State is beautiful hills, forest lakes, farms and mountains.
So true @AbarthEsq! When I was looking at law schools I visited William and Mary. The dean took me out to a nice patio, pointed at some trees and said, “I bet you don’t see that very often.” I laughed. There are so many beautiful things to see along the Hudson, Finger Lakes and Western New York. Just don’t tell someone from Buffalo that they live “upstate”. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2017 Classica
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@mtnghost was out your way a few years ago. I was supposed to visit Yosemite but it was the year of the bad fire. We ended up going to Carmel and Napa instead. Drove down Highway 1 albeit in a rental sedan- it would have been awesome in a Spider! California has some great scenery too!

·
Registered
2020 Abarth 124 Brillante White Velleno package with Monza exhaust.
287 Posts
@mtnghost was out your way a few years ago. I was supposed to visit Yosemite but it was the year of the bad fire. We ended up going to Carmel and Napa instead. Drove down Highway 1 albeit in a rental sedan- it would have been awesome in a Spider! California has some great scenery too!
Aww man, you did good going to Carmel! That’s where we went during all the fires too. Only place where you could breathe and we just love it there. Go there as much as our pocket books can handle and always for special occasions. I myself haven’t even done a full coastal drive in the Abarth yet but it’s on the list. Yosemite although I think would be a nice drive in the Abarth, I think is better suited for something that holds a tent because it’s so nice you would want to spend at least a couple days there. You could always just rent out a place but it’s not the same.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Seemed to lose access to site. Wednesday is good. Either come off at Junction 9 and take left turn to Blackwood. Pass the Jet garage Spar shop on your right and after that we're second turning on the right. Or I'll pop down to Happendon Services which is at Junction 10. Gordon

·
Registered
599 Posts
Seemed to lose access to site. Wednesday is good. Either come off at Junction 9 and take left turn to Blackwood. Pass the Jet garage Spar shop on your right and after that we're second turning on the right. Or I'll pop down to Happendon Services which is at Junction 10. Gordon
Walshy.... Still can't find the way to PM you from here, unless you can send me one?
Looking forward to seeing you and 124 tomorrow. G

p.s. it may just be an age thing 🇮🇹

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Walshy.... Still can't find the way to PM you from here, unless you can send me one?
Looking forward to seeing you and 124 tomorrow. G

p.s. it may just be an age thing 🇮🇹
Click on your own profile piccie top right.
The click on convesations. Then type in Walshy to find his user name. Then type your conversation and Send. 👍

1 - 16 of 16 Posts