Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I live in the Seattle area and yesterday I took my Abarth on its longest drive to date.

I got out of town and headed East on I-90 to the other side of the mountains where it was much hotter and more arid (great change of scenery, too). I came home on a different route using a lot of fun twisting mountain roads.

The turbo provided some nice power to pass cars when needed. But mostly I pulled over to let others pass me as I was in no hurry. I drove about 230 miles and the drive was flawless. Great mileage, nice power and handling. And - very important - no discomfort from driving 5-6 hours.

Fun times!

Stopped at the top of the first mountain pass
Car Sky Mountain Vehicle Wheel

Scenery is so different from the Seattle area. Makes it feel like I’m not in Kansas anymore.
Sky Mountain Plant Road surface Asphalt

A bit hot. The temperature actually got up to 104F. But the car did not overheat. I drove with the top up since I melt in direct sunlight.
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Speedometer Automotive design

The obligatory tourist drive through. $17-plus for a generic burger, small fries, small shake. I’m sure getting cheap in my old age. That, and stay off my lawn.
Sky Plant Motor vehicle Building Font

The car is a bug magnet. Cleaned it up right after trip.
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
164 Posts
Longest drive I have had in the 124 was 8 hours and I was very surprised to feel no aches or tiredness when I reached point B. Was as comfy as my XFS over a long journey, but much more fun than her when I reached the NE Scotland country roads heading through to Nairn. My only gripe would be more frequent fuel stops because of the much smaller tank! :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Threemonkeys, your trip sounds exactly like what I need to do with the wife, but we can never get away these days... good on you.

Might I suggest not going for much longer in one shot, I did Mid-Oregon to LA top-down in one run and to this day, I still feel a bit funny when I get in the driver's seat lol. I think it was 14 hours. Never again

when I reached the NE Scotland country roads heading through to Nairn.
One day I hope to visit my ancestral home of Huntly. From photos it looks small and quiet and just a little stop in the middle of nowhere. Unless you are a Campbell. Probably best if you do not stop lol...

·
Registered
2020 Abarth 6MT Modded To The Moon
294 Posts
Super fun!
when i was bringing mine back home i did 5 days of 12-15 hours a day of driving and i had a blast. Even being in it that long i couldnt wait to get back in it while i was stopped for the night. Love the long trips in the abarth.

·
Registered
87 Posts
i did 5 days of 12-15 hours a day of driving and i had a blast.
The only reason you even attempted this is because you were packin that stout M14 :cool:

Reactions: Cannoli

·
Registered
164 Posts
One day I hope to visit my ancestral home of Huntly. From photos it looks small and quiet and just a little stop in the middle of nowhere. Unless you are a Campbell. Probably best if you do not stop lol...
I'm originally from Aberdeen so Huntly is only about 30 miles away from there. Good roads for the 124 all around the NE. Yes, Huntly is a village/small town blink and you miss it place but very Scottish! :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm originally from Aberdeen so Huntly is only about 30 miles away from there. Good roads for the 124 all around the NE. Yes, Huntly is a village/small town blink and you miss it place but very Scottish! :)
Love it!

·
Registered
2018 Fiat 124 Spider Abarth
2,407 Posts
Very nice!

Make sure to take WA SR-20 through North Cascades National Park, over Washington Pass to Winthrop. It is one of the most beautiful drives anywhere.

It is especially breathtaking in spring when there’s still snow around. The highway closes around Thanksgiving and reopens by Memorial Day.
Cloud Sky Mountain Plant Snow

Water Mountain Sky Cloud Plant

Sky Mountain Cloud Wheel Tire

Land vehicle Sky Mountain Snow Car

·
Registered
Abarth 124 Spider, 2020, complete with manual transmission
19 Posts
When I bought mine, I was a little concerned about the ergonomics of this car for long trips (I am 1.85m tall) - but I was decided to sacrifice it in name of the fun. It surprised me positively, especially after my recent road-trip to the Rockies (about 2.500 km) - even after hours driving I felt great!

Today I have just arrived after driving since yesterday about 500 km in some winding roads in the mountainous areas, and I do not feel exhausted at all.

I had plenty of shorter trips in cars that are ”ergonomic”, “spacious”, “grand tourers”, etc., which got me exhausted and with several muscle pains.

As long as I stay in the driver’s seat, the pleasure is guaranteed. It does not matter if straight-line highways to enjoy the speed, or the small winding roads to enjoy the cornering.

On the passengers seat on the other hand, it sucks (especially with the Abarth’s suspension - which is great when you’re driving, not that great when you’re chilling as a passenger - in my personal opinion). In a short trip of 400 km which a friend of mine drove about 30-40% of the time, even with longer breaks, did cause me some muscle strains.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Very nice!

Make sure to take WA SR-20 through North Cascades National Park, over Washington Pass to Winthrop. It is one of the most beautiful drives anywhere.

It is especially breathtaking in spring when there’s still snow around. The highway closes around Thanksgiving and reopens by Memorial Day.
View attachment 94215
View attachment 94213
View attachment 94214
View attachment 94216
Yep. I’m definitely driving on 20 this summer. It’s been about 17 years since I’ve made the trip to Winthrop. I did Chuckanut earlier this summer. And I’m considering some additional trips. Do you have any other suggested drives?

·
Registered
164 Posts
On the passengers seat on the other hand, it sucks (especially with the Abarth’s suspension - which is great when you’re driving, not that great when you’re chilling as a passenger
When my partner is in the car beside me I'm happy the ride is rough......I try to hit every bump because it's aesthetically pleasing to me! :cool:

·
Registered
2018 Fiat 124 Spider Abarth
2,407 Posts
Yep. I’m definitely driving on 20 this summer. It’s been about 17 years since I’ve made the trip to Winthrop. I did Chuckanut earlier this summer. And I’m considering some additional trips. Do you have any other suggested drives?
There are lots of great backroads around here. WA SR-9 from Marysville to Deming is pretty relaxing. There’s Mountain Loop Hwy. from Granite Falls to Darrington. Mount Baker Hwy is also very scenic. Taking the backroads to La Conner and Samish Island is the perfect sunny Sunday drive. Old Samish Road from Lake Samish to Chucanut Drive is very pretty.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts