Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happens to us all. One month into my new Lusso and this small scratch showed up while washing it yesterday.
Oh well, paint pen is on order. Just got a clear bra for the bumper panel, too but this happened on the passenger door with nothing but light errand running local driving for a week. Posted more on the FB page. Stuff is just going to keep happening, especially with this as my daily. Time to be mindful and just enjoy the car, payments or no payments. Life is really, really short.
Wood Road surface Rectangle Line Wood stain

·
Registered
459 Posts
I had a Hickory nut drop on my windshield, get shot back up and forward finally dropping in the car landing between my right leg and the door as I drove forward. Had that thing hit the hood...😬

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
You have my sympathies. I hope there aren't many more.

I took my Spider shopping yesterday, and my own cart rolled into the rear bumper. No harm this time. Lesson learned.

• Wow
Reactions: jfmenna

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don’t worry about it. Cars are meant to be driven, and stuff will happen. Anything can be fixed, except of course the bird that hit my mirror.

View attachment 87728
Don’t worry about it. Cars are meant to be driven, and stuff will happen. Anything can be fixed, except of course the bird that hit my mirror.

View attachment 87728
Oh wow. One time I drove my pilot through and alley that I KNEW I could make.
Stucco walls on both sides raked the ends of both mirrors terribly.
Fiat dealer didn't even care and sold it as is within a week of my trade.

·
Premium Member
2,983 Posts
I can relate, but with a lesser degree of damage. Two summers ago while driving across Wyoming I had a "largish" dark bird (magpie sized, but not a magpie) try to flit across the road in front of me, but ended up smacking into the top of my windshield and upper surround trim instead. At 80mph it wasn't pretty. Like your case, the bird didn't fare well, but fortunately my only effort was to clean feathers and bird protein off my glass and surround. Nothing broken on the car. ....and thankfully nothing gooey made it's way onto the fabric top material.

But I'll take a bird strike any day over a deer or another member of the ungulate population.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Holy crap!

What did you hit? A frozen turkey...?
Not sure, but I thought I saw whiteish tan feathers, so hopefully not a hawk.

Even if it wasn’t a big bird, I was doing 85, so I’m sure there is a formula about velocity and mass equaling force.

Side note, driving today up and over vail pass and Eisenhower tunnel, the little car pulls nicely. It’s a good feeling to be in the left lane and charging hard and showing them pick me ups how it’s done. Side side note, love looking over that sculpted hood showing me the way.

(Resting, the car that is, in Utah)
Cloud Sky Building Property Plant

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
It's force = mass x acceleration, so if the bird weighed 1 lb (a chubby pigeon let's say) and you were doing 85 mph on your private pigeon ranch (125 ft/s) and the poor bird accelerated from 0 to 85 mph in 0.1 second, then force = 1 × 125 ÷ 0.1 = 1250 ft-lb 🤔 that would do some serious damage. Hell, even a chubby 0.1 lb sparrow would generate 125 ft-lb, easily enough to break your mirror.

Reactions: SpagWagonsScot

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Imagine a bird hitting a motorcyclist in the head. Ouch!

·
Registered
787 Posts
I guess that’s why the smart ones were a helmet. No guarantees, but better than nothing.

A few last comments about my road trip.

I wish I had a better sounding exhaust. That’s the raison d’etre of the car. I want that noise as I shift through the canyons.

Freeways are NOT this cars milieu. It needs the two lane road. The cruise works great, but big trucks suck, and because the car sits low, you don’t want to follow closely. And too much debris on these 4 lanes that will hurt your day. I fortunately avoided lumber, tires, and big chunk of concrete that took out a half dozen cars west of Omaha. Two lanes let you keep the top down, let you change gears down, and to enjoy the country side.

Spent the day washing and vacuuming the car. Good as new, except the mirror. Will bring it in to a body shop on Monday.

·
Registered
2018 Fiat 124 Spider Abarth
36 Posts
Happens to us all. One month into my new Lusso and this small scratch showed up while washing it yesterday.
Oh well, paint pen is on order. Just got a clear bra for the bumper panel, too but this happened on the passenger door with nothing but light errand running local driving for a week. Posted more on the FB page. Stuff is just going to keep happening, especially with this as my daily. Time to be mindful and just enjoy the car, payments or no payments. Life is really, really short.
View attachment 87722
What clear bra did you get?

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What clear bra did you get?
Dunno...believe my guy downloaded a pattern and it fits perfectly to the entire shape of the panel. Some seams but they are flawless.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts