Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Visited my dealer's service office last week (on a futile mission but never mind) and discovered that my service department is apparently isolated from the large, well-staffed Dodge service department. My Spider will be taken care of at a small place adjacent to the Maserati/Alfa Romero show room. I felt like I had brought a T-shirt into an Armani shop. That may well be my own hang up (I am pretty strongly adverse to even being in the show rooms of cars that I never could have purchased even in my best times. It makes me feel like a fraud.) but I am a bit on my guard about the possibility of getting an exorbitant bill for the first service which, after all, is not much more than an oil change. If anyone has had that first service, will you please let me know what it cost? Also if there is a standard Fiat [time and materials] rate that they apply? I only look at the internet once a week, so please accept my sincere thanks in advance for any replies. Best Regards, Ralph

·
Administrator
2,024 Posts
First service should include only an oil change, and maybe a tire rotation. I've seen places charge up to $90 for the oil change and $25 for the tire rotation. Any other check-ups should be complimentary. The vehicle doesn't need any other service that early on.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Visited my dealer's service office last week (on a futile mission but never mind) and discovered that my service department is apparently isolated from the large, well-staffed Dodge service department. My Spider will be taken care of at a small place adjacent to the Maserati/Alfa Romero show room. I felt like I had brought a T-shirt into an Armani shop. That may well be my own hang up (I am pretty strongly adverse to even being in the show rooms of cars that I never could have purchased even in my best times. It makes me feel like a fraud.) but I am a bit on my guard about the possibility of getting an exorbitant bill for the first service which, after all, is not much more than an oil change. If anyone has had that first service, will you please let me know what it cost? Also if there is a standard Fiat [time and materials] rate that they apply? I only look at the internet once a week, so please accept my sincere thanks in advance for any replies. Best Regards, Ralph
My first non-warranty service at the dealership was an oil change - $57. My most recent was an oil change plus tire rotation at $78.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Does this car need tire rotation? This will be the first roadster I have owned, so I'm not sure if tire rotation is something normally done on these kinds of cars.

·
Administrator
2,024 Posts
Does this car need tire rotation? This will be the first roadster I have owned, so I'm not sure if tire rotation is something normally done on these kinds of cars.
Every car needs a tire rotation. This one even has a maintenance reminder in the radio for the tire rotation interval. FIAT recommends a tire rotation every 5,000 miles.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Never rotated tires on any of my cars... I'm used to get >100K km (>60K miles) out of a set.
(Probably not with the 124 because it just likes to take corners more than anything else :)

·
Administrator
2,024 Posts
Never rotated tires on any of my cars... I'm used to get >100K km (>60K miles) out of a set.
(Probably not with the 124 because it just likes to take corners more than anything else :)
That and the fact that it uses soft 3-season tires (at least, my Abarth does).

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'm in the San Francisco bay area, so prices are high. First service was $124, basically a fancy oil change. Paperwork says oil change, filter, rotate tires, lubricate ball joints, rotate tires, multipoint inspection, set tire pressure.

Second service was quoted at $280, same as above but also includes inspect air filter, cabin filter, inspect CV, exhaust, front suspension. They did not have the cabin and air filters, so they had to order them, and only charged me $134. They ordered the filters, $145 cabin, $110 engine air filter. That was two and a half weeks ago, still not in stock.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Agree. Too much bother. When my tires hit 35K-60k I'll just replace all four of them. Tires are cheap in the scheme of things.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I'm in the San Francisco bay area, so prices are high. First service was $124, basically a fancy oil change. Paperwork says oil change, filter, rotate tires, lubricate ball joints, rotate tires, multipoint inspection, set tire pressure.

Second service was quoted at $280, same as above but also includes inspect air filter, cabin filter, inspect CV, exhaust, front suspension. They did not have the cabin and air filters, so they had to order them, and only charged me $134. They ordered the filters, $145 cabin, $110 engine air filter. That was two and a half weeks ago, still not in stock.
isn't this why they invented pep boys, napa, autozone, and o'reilly's. you could even go on ebay or amazon and get the parts. then you can get to know your car to boot, consider it a date day, getting to know her is getting to love her......

·
Registered
166 Posts
isn't this why they invented pep boys, napa, autozone, and o'reilly's. you could even go on ebay or amazon and get the parts. then you can get to know your car to boot, consider it a date day, getting to know her is getting to love her......
Sorry I'm a driver not a mechanic. Add to that living in an apartment in San Francisco, no place to work on the car. Barely have a parking space. I'd love a Rolls Royce some day, but that type of car needs a driver, and the back or passenger seat's no fun.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Every car needs a tire rotation. This one even has a maintenance reminder in the radio for the tire rotation interval. FIAT recommends a tire rotation every 5,000 miles.

I wouldn't say "every" because my Alfa first. It wears it's tyres out very evenly. The Fiat's showing very sign of being the same so far.

The wife's front wheel drive Fiat wears out front tyres for fun though!

·
Registered
468 Posts
@phillawson - I hear you on both counts.

SF=NYC, so I'm prepared to pay up.

And, I've seen the demo on oil changes. Lifting the car is a deal breaker. I may do some modifications but I ain't changing the oil. Ever.

·
Administrator
2,024 Posts
@phillawson - I hear you on both counts.

SF=NYC, so I'm prepared to pay up.

And, I've seen the demo on oil changes. Lifting the car is a deal breaker. I may do some modifications but I ain't changing the oil. Ever.
I'd like to point that fluid extraction pumps are a real option for this vehicle. Every time I've seen one used and the drain plug pulled for validation, an inconsequential amount of oil drained out. Example: Mityvac 7.3L Fluid Extractor

Edomonds.com reported,

We decided to do an oil change on a Honda Fit belonging to Consumer Advice Editor Philip Reed to investigate this further. We sucked out the 3.8 quarts of oil and then removed the oil drain plug to see how much more flowed out. We were pleased to see that it was less than 3 tablespoons. This oil didn't appear to be any more contaminated than what had been sucked out by the extractor.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Ok, back up a bit: cabin filter?

I recall a bit of a conversation about cabin filters.$ 145 seems a bit steep, coupled with, from what i understand, taking the dash completely apart (an exaggeration, hopefully).

Anyone have pictures or a procedure for this mythical cabin filter?

·
Registered
872 Posts
Agree that tire rotation is a must, however, not possible on every car. Tires and wheels need to be of the same size on all four corners, and tire rotational direction, i.e. the direction the tires were designed to spin, needs to be factored in....there are quite a few cars out there with staggered configurations which render tire rotation a moot point....

·
Administrator
2,024 Posts
Agree that tire rotation is a must, however, not possible on every car. Tires and wheels need to be of the same size on all four corners, and tire rotational direction, i.e. the direction the tires were designed to spin, needs to be factored in....there are quite a few cars out there with staggered configurations which render tire rotation a moot point....
That's a good point I had forgotten. My winter tires on one of my cars are directional, and I used to be heavily involved in a platform where one of the models had wider front tires.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Extreme:

Thanks for the like. Always happy to add objectively to the equation. Your input in this forum is greatly appreciated. Nice to interact with knowledgable, dedicated people in the enthusiast auto world. Cheers.

·
Administrator
2,024 Posts
Extreme:

Thanks for the like. Always happy to add objectively to the equation. Your input in this forum is greatly appreciated. Nice to interact with knowledgable, dedicated people in the enthusiast auto world. Cheers.
The feeling is mutual. Thanks for your contribution!

·
Registered
468 Posts
Reactions: hefbadr
1 - 20 of 24 Posts