Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a follow up to an older post I made when I first got the Lusso I have in August. I got Extreme Contact Continentals put on, rim/snow tire swapping is not an option. I don't have a garage but do have a driveway, so I bought a nice $500 outdoor cover that works like a dream.

We had our first decent snow here in NJ. I put my cover on the night before and shovelled my driveway, etc.
Streets did not need plowing as it got above freezing by noon. The Continentals worked fine but I avoided driving over snow. When stuff froze up later in the evening, I drove defensively and cautiously. Not the usual Speed Racer fun stuff. I had planned on getting a beater by now but the prices are waaaaaay too high at this point with the pandemic driving up everything. I am mostly teleworking and live a block and a half from my commuter train. If I get a bad snow and have to go in, I'll use the train. I do NOT plan on deliberately driving in the snow. At most I might have to drive a mile each way to pick my kid up from after school sports until the activity bus resumes (COVID has it down). I could be wrong but I think that my all season tire plan and common sense employment is going to work just fine.

When discussing this earlier, most people were either saying snow tires or garage it, etc....but none of those are an option for me. I know everyone meant well but all of our situations are different. I like to think that I am not a total idiot and wouldn't deliberately drive my RWD car in real snow, especially since it drives only a few inches above a snowless street. I've gone over my scenario a ton of times with my car buddies at work (one of whom owns a garage) and they think I'm fine. They, too are RWD drivers and have been for life....one a Vette driver and one a Mustang. Their shared mantra is NO SNOW, meaning no driving on the day of. It snows 5-10 times here a year and most of the time not badly.

Could something bad happen despite all of the measures I've taken? Of course....but I love my car and will just do my best. I had a lot of concerns when I first got the car. It was an emotional buy and not thought out. A lot of people here were very patient with me, gave me a lot of good advice and here I am almost half year later....still just taking the odd break from work or looking for any excuse to go clear my head with a good drive. Well, when it snows, I'll just have to use my head, too!!

Thanks to everyone for the help. I've gotten great products, a clear bra on the bumper panel, and just great advice in general that has helped me max out the experience of going from 20 years of SUVs to my first year of having the car I've loved since I was a little kid!

·
Registered
358 Posts
I say go for it! The below is my previous car on winter tyres and it was great fun - My daily for 10 years and the only way to get to work, and the new one gets used the same

Even had a go at the Cat & Fiddle* one time, followed by a Land Rover driven by the council workers on their way up to close the pass!

*often called the most dangerous road in Britain

• Love
Reactions: jfmenna

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Another daily driver dug out yesterday. View attachment 90153
y
I love it! Same here...but my cover kept my car nice and clean....I should have set my alarm though....my detailer says if it's going to be a big snow to get up in the middle of the night and brush it off. I don't want it stretching out after neglecting to do that too many times! Great shot!!

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I say go for it! The below is my previous car on winter tyres and it was great fun - My daily for 10 years and the only way to get to work, and the new one gets used the same

Even had a go at the Cat & Fiddle* one time, followed by a Land Rover driven by the council workers on their way up to close the pass!

*often called the most dangerous road in Britain
thanks!!!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Nice post @jfmenna and all credit to you, sticking to your principles, even in the bad weather. My only suggestion would be to get under the car in the spring and get all of the salt/ grit out, perhaps even some waxoil or such like, it won’t take long for the conditions to ‘get at’ the underside of your car. I don’t drive my Abarth in bad weather, I am fortunate to have a daily driver for that, if I had to choose only one car to fit all seasons, perhaps an Audi TT (awd) or if I could afford it, a 911 (awd).

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice post @jfmenna and all credit to you, sticking to your principles, even in the bad weather. My only suggestion would be to get under the car in the spring and get all of the salt/ grit out, perhaps even some waxoil or such like, it won’t take long for the conditions to ‘get at’ the underside of your car. I don’t drive my Abarth in bad weather, I am fortunate to have a daily driver for that, if I had to choose only one car to fit all seasons, perhaps an Audi TT (awd) or if I could afford it, a 911 (awd).
Right on and thanks! Yeah, going to take it to my detailer at the end of each month for an undercarriage cleaning.
I was going to get the kit for myself but my outdoor hose is frozen all the way around like a popsicle, ha ha! I washed it outside last weekend and this week its below freezing every day (well until today....weird).
thanks!

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My wife has a nice new Lexus UX hybrid and my kid has a nice new CRV hybrid so I always have back up. I will be getting a beater soon. I literally was driving home from work in my perfectly good pilot and said eff it, googled the dealership, it was the next exit, and literally drove out of their parking lot in two hours, no B.S , no hard sell. We had a 124 when I was a little kid and my parents only got rid of it when my brother and i got two big for that back seat, ledge thing the old ones have. My pop used to drive that regularly in Philly in the winter all of time. One other thing I need are some sand bags. Thanks again. Most other people were all crapping on me for not getting blizzaks,etc.

·
Registered
422 Posts
My wife has a nice new Lexus UX hybrid and my kid has a nice new CRV hybrid so I always have back up. I will be getting a beater soon. I literally was driving home from work in my perfectly good pilot and said eff it, googled the dealership, it was the next exit, and literally drove out of their parking lot in two hours, no B.S , no hard sell. We had a 124 when I was a little kid and my parents only got rid of it when my brother and i got two big for that back seat, ledge thing the old ones have. My pop used to drive that regularly in Philly in the winter all of time. One other thing I need are some sand bags. Thanks again. Most other people were all crapping on me for not getting blizzaks,etc.
We drive Lexus(s) for our daily’s as well, both Hybrids, I love them. I have the ES, my wife the RC, 50MPG, great build and a fantastic 10 year full dealer warranty. My Spider is for dry weather and summer road trips, Scotland (NC500) last year and in June 22 the Italian Riviera (via France, Luxembourg and Switzerland), including driving the Stelvio Pass, a real treat. It keeps the car ‘special’ to drive it as a second car, at least in my mind. In your position and for the weather you get in winter, I would definitely have an old ‘beater’. Keep safe and well. Iain

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Right on and thanks! Yeah, going to take it to my detailer at the end of each month for an undercarriage cleaning.
I was going to get the kit for myself but my outdoor hose is frozen all the way around like a popsicle, ha ha! I washed it outside last weekend and this week its below freezing every day (well until today....weird).
thanks!
There are some car washes that have underbody washes. See if you can get just that, or even just get the wand under there in a bay. They keep the water from freezing. At least get the salt/brine off most of the metal. You’ll need to get on your hands and knees, of course, so wear gloves and some old/water resistant pants. Pick a bay where someone hasn’t just cleaned off their fishing boat!

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I was able to take the Spider out for a drive today. I hadn’t started it in four weeks; it started right up!

Reactions: SteveP.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
It's 5F this morning. I don't think my Spider would start if I asked it to. My Giulia (parked next to the Spider) will get me where I need to go.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
It's 5F this morning. I don't think my Spider would start if I asked it to. My Giulia (parked next to the Spider) will get me where I need to go.
All of this talk here makes me think of an analogy. Some people buy comic books because they love to cherish and read them. Others buy them like trophys and get them graded and cased in sealed plastic to preserve their monetary value. Me, I'm the guy who buys the book because he loves it, he loves reading it, he loves the smell of the pages....yeah this might cause a few more wrinkles or tears but that book stays close to his heart...not sealed up in plastic on a shelf, never to be touched out of fear of it's losing its monetary value. Many, many of the car geeks here, seem like the latter type of collector. I just can't be that guy. I don't let fear stop me from enjoying the best thing I've done for myself in years. Will I be reckless and stupid, no effing way....but will I enjoy my car on my own terms despite the silly comments here....absolutely.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I wouldn’t be too quick to pass judgement on fellow forum members. We all have our own personal reasons for buying what we buy. None is more valid than another.

In my case, I love cars and own two of them: A Fiat Spider and a Jeep Wrangler. I also live in an area with harsh winters. It only makes sense that I drive the Jeep most often in winter time. When spring arrives, the Jeep will spend weeks in the garage while I top off my vitamin D in the Spider...

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I wouldn’t be too quick to pass judgement on fellow forum members. We all have our own personal reasons for buying what we buy. None is more valid than another.

In my case, I love cars and own two of them: A Fiat Spider and a Jeep Wrangler. I also live in an area with harsh winters. It only makes sense that I drive the Jeep most often in winter time. When spring arrives, the Jeep will spend weeks in the garage while I top off my vitamin D in the Spider...
I stand by my post but respect your right to you own views.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
That's good enough to put you on ignore.

• Haha
Reactions: jfmenna

·
Registered
422 Posts
@jfmenna I wouldn’t subscribe to the latter part of your post. The comic bit I sort of understand. I use my car ’very hard’ during the summer, on looooong road trips, during the week and at weekends. I drive it hard too. But I really only use it in dry conditions, I do like to keep it looking great and for me, it is an investment as I intend to keep it. In the winter I like to get into my daily not worrying about grit, salt, or anything like that. There is another aspect, I really look forward to getting the Abarth out, because it is not my daily, driving it is very special, a treat and I like it this way. (But I will admit to being a bit of a car Geek though ;) )

1 - 20 of 26 Posts