Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Classica
213 Posts
All of this talk here makes me think of an analogy. Some people buy comic books because they love to cherish and read them. Others buy them like trophys and get them graded and cased in sealed plastic to preserve their monetary value. Me, I'm the guy who buys the book because he loves it, he loves reading it, he loves the smell of the pages....yeah this might cause a few more wrinkles or tears but that book stays close to his heart...not sealed up in plastic on a shelf, never to be touched out of fear of it's losing its monetary value. Many, many of the car geeks here, seem like the latter type of collector. I just can't be that guy. I don't let fear stop me from enjoying the best thing I've done for myself in years. Will I be reckless and stupid, no effing way....but will I enjoy my car on my own terms despite the silly comments here....absolutely.
I agree. Show them off and drive the heck out of them now, while there are still people around who pretend they can fix them.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
There are some car washes that have underbody washes. See if you can get just that, or even just get the wand under there in a bay. They keep the water from freezing. At least get the salt/brine off most of the metal. You’ll need to get on your hands and knees, of course, so wear gloves and some old/water resistant pants. Pick a bay where someone hasn’t just cleaned off their fishing boat!
My detailer will do this for me. So far only one light snow. I was going to do that at the end of every month to be safe.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
@jfmenna I wouldn’t subscribe to the latter part of your post. The comic bit I sort of understand. I use my car ’very hard’ during the summer, on looooong road trips, during the week and at weekends. I drive it hard too. But I really only use it in dry conditions, I do like to keep it looking great and for me, it is an investment as I intend to keep it. In the winter I like to get into my daily not worrying about grit, salt, or anything like that. There is another aspect, I really look forward to getting the Abarth out, because it is not my daily, driving it is very special, a treat and I like it this way. (But I will admit to being a bit of a car Geek though ;) )
I don't care top up, top down...I work very hard and even just going to Starbucks for a quick break is a treat. I cherish every moment in my car....I don't want to burn it out ....especially not with the loan I took out for it, ha ha!!

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I agree. Show them off and drive the heck out of them now, while there are still people around who pretend they can fix them.
I just like seeing the road through the glass and the feel of the wheel in my hands.....good tunes on....top up, down, whatever, hot out, cold..I enjoy every single second in my ride. I'm 52 years old and it's my treat to myself. i don't get time to surf anymore, COVID sucks, so eff it, I got this car. My dealership actually has an outstanding shop. I have free everything service for 4 years...brakes, oil, whatever....and they are wonderful people. I figure I'll hang onto it (well my loan is forever) until the new Fiats come back in a few years and then see what they have

·
Registered
371 Posts
Glad it's working out for you with the winter weather. When I lived in NJ I drove my 2013 rear wheel drive BRZ with all season tires in the winter for 6 years.It was my DD. You are right, just go slow and don't make any quick actions when there is snow on the ground. If we had a foot of snow, I'd just arrange for a ride to work in someone's all-wheel drive SUV. It worked out fine.

Now, here in SC our Spider never sees rain and only comes out to play on sunny days! Winter or summer! We don't miss the snow and ice at all!

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Glad it's working out for you with the winter weather. When I lived in NJ I drove my 2013 rear wheel drive BRZ with all season tires in the winter for 6 years.It was my DD. You are right, just go slow and don't make any quick actions when there is snow on the ground. If we had a foot of snow, I'd just arrange for a ride to work in someone's all-wheel drive SUV. It worked out fine.

Now, here in SC our Spider never sees rain and only comes out to play on sunny days! Winter or summer! We don't miss the snow and ice at all!
I'm two blocks away from the commuter train I took to work for 13 years, plus if it's big one...we have mandatory telework..and with Pandemic, we are on max telelwork, which is working out so well, instead of one out of four of my days a week in the office we will likely have two at home they are saying now.....so i'm just going to enjoy it. My biggest concern is keeping piles of heavy snow off of the roof. I got it "new" with 35 miles on it in August but know it was out on their lot for a year so I do have a touch of weird staining on pinch point where it folds above each window...pretty mild but it just underscored to me that the cloth might be my biggest issue to watch for now at least! Thanks, man. Drive on!

21 - 26 of 26 Posts