Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to take a trip from Ca to Kansas City in my Lusso in a couple of weeks. I'm taking the spare FOB along incase I need it. Will having the spare FOB packed in a bag in the trunk cause any problems with my security system or anything else? I can't think of any but wanted to ask the board members. Should I keep the spare in my pocket as opposed to packing it? Thanks for any advice.

·
Vendor
3,520 Posts
I'm going to take a trip from Ca to Kansas City in my Lusso in a couple of weeks. I'm taking the spare FOB along incase I need it. Will having the spare FOB packed in a bag in the trunk cause any problems with my security system or anything else? I can't think of any but wanted to ask the board members. Should I keep the spare in my pocket as opposed to packing it? Thanks for any advice.
That's a really good question. I don't have an answer, but I think I would experiment first by leaving it in the trunk for a day or so before hand to see if it causes some unforeseen issue. I can't think of why it would, but I am just not sure.

Greg

·
Registered
274 Posts
I did this before. If you close the trunk with your key in it, and walk away, the car will beep at your like crazy. It can be unlocked from the outside if you lock a key in it, so it's best not to leave the key in there.

When I was on vacation, I had both of my keys, and my spare was in a jacket in my backpack, and it went nuts.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I went on a long trip last fall and all I did was take the key out of the spare fob and give it to my wife just in case I somehow managed to lock my fob in the car.

Reactions: jpwfz6 and Greg

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Maybe remove the battery from the spare FOB?
I would remove the battery, and place and hide the extra FOB in the car. Also make a spare key so you can open the car( the alarm will sound) but who cares, once you have the hidden FOB place the battery in it and you're in business.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would remove the battery, and place and hide the extra FOB in the car. Also make a spare key so you can open the car( the alarm will sound) but who cares, once you have the hidden FOB place the battery in it and you're in business.
Just to understand what you're saying, Frank, take battery out of spare fob, hide somewhere in car and if needed reinstall battery and carry on? Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You could try one of those RFID-blocking bags they sell to protect credit cards... Definitely easier than taking the battery out.
I ordered a RFID bag off Amazon and received it yesterday(thanks for the suggestion, Linefeed). I put my spare fob in the bag, closed it and tried to unlock the car while standing next to the door. Car wouldn't unlock so I'm happy. That is what I'll be keeping my fob in during my trip.

If I understand correctly, I can take the key out of the spare fob and carry it on me and could get into the car if I were to lose my other fob? Another post said the alarm would go off and if that happened I'd just need to get the spare fob and press any key to stop the alarm? Would that in any way affect the car starting again? Sorry to ask such basic questions but the owners manual is a bit confusing on this as well as other subjects.

·
Registered
753 Posts
If I understand correctly, I can take the key out of the spare fob and carry it on me and could get into the car if I were to lose my other fob? Another post said the alarm would go off and if that happened I'd just need to get the spare fob and press any key to stop the alarm? Would that in any way affect the car starting again? Sorry to ask such basic questions but the owners manual is a bit confusing on this as well as other subjects.
The key will let you unlock the door (and the glove box)- but that's all. You'd need the fob to silence the alarm and start the car.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
The key will let you unlock the door (and the glove box)- but that's all. You'd need the fob to silence the alarm and start the car.
I just verified this, as I thought the head of the key (the black plastic square area) might have a RFID chip inside for emergency starting, but it must be on the other end of the fob.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I love my Lusso and look forward to driving it every chance I get, BUT......I think technology has gone a bit too far. All I need is a simple push a button to lock and arm and a simple push a button to unlock and drive and a key that is a backup for this. The owner's manual is confusing and not well written. Reading all the possibilities and settings for the fob and key is very confusing. No one has time to sit and read a couple hundred pages and try to absorb and understand all the functions that come with the car. So we're all left with thumbing thru the owners manual when a problem comes up and hope we can understand and not left stranded. I know I'm venting but I just wanted to get this out and certainly respect any comments that are opposed to mine.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
I love my Lusso and look forward to driving it every chance I get, BUT......I think technology has gone a bit too far. All I need is a simple push a button to lock and arm and a simple push a button to unlock and drive and a key that is a backup for this. The owner's manual is confusing and not well written. Reading all the possibilities and settings for the fob and key is very confusing. No one has time to sit and read a couple hundred pages and try to absorb and understand all the functions that come with the car. So we're all left with thumbing thru the owners manual when a problem comes up and hope we can understand and not left stranded. I know I'm venting but I just wanted to get this out and certainly respect any comments that are opposed to mine.
And we won't even mention getting out of car and passenger door, trunk, fuel filler door stay locked.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Wrap the spare key in tin foil. Battery life is the same as the unwrapped fob.

·
Registered
540 Posts
When my wife and I take a trip, she will have the extra key in her purse, and yes, odd things can happen. I like the remove the battery solution, or the tinfoil, if it works.

·
Premium Member
2,317 Posts
For convenience and not having to worry about tinfoil or removing the battery, I highly recommend use of an RFID pouch. There's lots of them on Amazon and they're really inexpensive. The added bonus is that if you get two of them, you can also use them in your hotel room of even home to prevent fob cloning by theives (yes, I used the C word again... lol).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts