Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Someone that installed new horns stated that the wiring is there in the Classicas for the fog lights, but that doesn't mean the switches/relays are in place too.
for the rear fog lights?

i actually bought a module that flashes the brake lights and is programable but hadn't gotten around to install it before the incident. I wanted to trace the wiring and find a connector and disconnect and install a jumped in between with this module and then i never have to have splices and easy to put back to factory later if desired.

·
Registered
150 Posts
i actually bought a module that flashes the brake lights and is programable but hadn't gotten around to install it before the incident. I wanted to trace the wiring and find a connector and disconnect and install a jumped in between with this module and then i never have to have splices and easy to put back to factory later if desired.
Pretty sure the 3rd brake light runs at LESS than 12 volts. The flasher I have (an older spare one that I used on my bikes) resulted in a MUCH dimmer light when inline than when the line was ran stock.
I'm wondering if the brake lights also are lower voltage? I have one of the newer 6-12 volt flashers on my FJR, but it's a real PITA to remove where I have it in place at (easier to adjust the flash patterns but harder to get to the wires) that I've been somewhat tempted to take off and try.
By rear fog lights, I'm assuming you are referring to the ones that are on either side of the backup light? If so, those would be nice to work with a a flasher, but I really like the third brake light to also work with one. I guess I need to go out and buy a new volt meter to find out what they are running at (my old one finally bit the dirt).

·
Registered
194 Posts
I'm sure it's not that difficult to get the missing parts ordered up from your dealer if you want the factory look. If the lights are controlled through the CAN bus, the system may need to be "told" that the lights are there once the switches and wiring are in place, but the dealership should be able to handle that.

I'm going another route... more of a long-term project at this point, but I'd love to rig up a set of driving lights similar to 70s/80s Aston Martins (always loved the round upper driving lights on the V8 Vantage - especially this Dalton-era Bond almost-bronzo magnetico convertible). May be able to use the tow-hook mount to create a low profile light bar...

·
Registered
476 Posts
Pretty sure the 3rd brake light runs at LESS than 12 volts.
this would shock me as i would expect all the brake lights to be run off the same feed. please let us know after u figure this out.

i am hoping/expecting to find a connector either behind the trim inside or in trunk/boot area. but it is probably a larger harness to feed all the other things back there and will require a bunch of jumpers

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
this would shock me as i would expect all the brake lights to be run off the same feed. please let us know after u figure this out.

i am hoping/expecting to find a connector either behind the trim inside or in trunk/boot area. but it is probably a larger harness to feed all the other things back there and will require a bunch of jumpers
+1. CHMSL assemblies, especially LED units have always been 12 V to my knowledge.

·
Registered
150 Posts
+1. CHMSL assemblies, especially LED units have always been 12 V to my knowledge.
I would think so also.. but all I know is that the 12v LED capable blinker unit resulted in a loss of about 2/3's the brightness of the lights when applied with the unit in line on the 3rd brake light.
The flasher unit is one that uses PWM and is specific on some settings to LED only and others to incandescent bulbs/LED (typically the strobe pattern is LED only).
Still haven't had a chance to get by and grab a new volt meter as I've had a few other tasks that have had a higher priority. ;)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Rear fog lights are a European thing that has only recently shown up in the US. They are housed in the red lights either side of the backup light. Since we Classica owners don't have front fog lights they didn't include the rears. I have wondered what to do with the black blanks on the front. Install lights? Make brake ducts? Paint them body color or just leave them?

·
Registered
476 Posts
sorry, yes i kinda have hijacked your post. pretty much it comes down to what you would like. i like fog lights a lot for the extra visibility of others being able to see me, not for giving me more light to see the road. so i advocate for figuring out how to do that. i did like the thread where someone wanted to swap out bulb for a yellow one which to me would add additional visibility since the oddness would break people visual autonomous habit while driving.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I noticed that next to the light bulb socket for the reverse lamp is a wired connection to the driver's side red "lamp" housing on my Classica. Is that perhaps a LED fog lamp? It doesn't rotate like the reverse lamp socket. Just wondering what's there. I've never seen it light up.

I was surprised to see a Mazda logo on the harness, since the rear fascia layout in the MX-5 is completely different.

·
Registered
605 Posts
FIAT has a fog light kit for the 500's, and after you install it you have to go to the dealer so they can enable them in the computer.

Since the car has Mazda wiring, perhaps Mazda offers a fog light kit for the MX5 that will work.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
sorry, yes i kinda have hijacked your post. pretty much it comes down to what you would like. i like fog lights a lot for the extra visibility of others being able to see me, not for giving me more light to see the road. so i advocate for figuring out how to do that. i did like the thread where someone wanted to swap out bulb for a yellow one which to me would add additional visibility since the oddness would break people visual autonomous habit while driving.
I must admit that the ones on the Abarth look 'weird' when they are on, compared to the bright LED headlights. Making them 'fog light yellow' would make them deliberately different rather than 'we put these nice lights in the headlights but cheaped-out on the fogs'.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I must admit that the ones on the Abarth look 'weird' when they are on, compared to the bright LED headlights. Making them 'fog light yellow' would make them deliberately different rather than 'we put these nice lights in the headlights but cheaped-out on the fogs'.
Agree completely! Do you think you could just plug in LED lights to the fogs, or is there more to it then that?

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Agree completely! Do you think you could just plug in LED lights to the fogs, or is there more to it then that?
I'll probably be doing that, but haven't been under to determine bulb type (H11?), etc. The fender well need removing I think. I'm in progress changing the springs/sway bar so might take a bulb out and see if I can find an LED equivalent (I recall there's a thread on here regarding bulbs and bulb equivalents).

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'll probably be doing that, but haven't been under to determine bulb type (H11?), etc. The fender well need removing I think. I'm in progress changing the springs/sway bar so might take a bulb out and see if I can find an LED equivalent (I recall there's a thread on here regarding bulbs and bulb equivalents).
The owners manual shows it as a H11 bulb, which coincidentally is the same bulb in the Halogen low beams. Could it be as simple as swapping in OE low beam bulbs... that way the LED matches EXACTLY.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts