Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Sorry if this has been discussed and maybe I haven't searched for the correct words to find a thread. Looking for info on a way to make the fog lights look white like the headlights. Is there a kit for this or are they supposed to be that way? I notice when I turn them on that there isn't any real difference.

Thanks

·
Administrator
2,029 Posts
Just a heads up on the LED fog lights; the color temp will be an improvement, but the output won't be. Once LEDs get hot (which takes a few minutes), the output is reduced to where the difference is negligible, if not worse than a 55W halogen. The projected beam will also differ with unexpected results as the light source and shape is changed from that of a halogen filament. Your mileage will vary.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Just a heads up on the LED fog lights; the color temp will be an improvement, but the output won't be. Once LEDs get hot (which takes a few minutes), the output is reduced to where the difference is negligible, if not worse than a 55W halogen. The projected beam will also differ with unexpected results as the light source and shape is changed from that of a halogen filament. Your mileage will vary.
Actually those bulbs are designed to duplicate the light shaping tech of a normal halogen bulb in a fog light - that's why they are fog light specific... BUT they are only 35 watt bulbs and are not 55 watt as far as rated equivalency goes.

·
Registered
2017 124 Lusso
94 Posts
Hello All,

Sorry if this has been discussed and maybe I haven't searched for the correct words to find a thread. Looking for info on a way to make the fog lights look white like the headlights. Is there a kit for this or are they supposed to be that way? I notice when I turn them on that there isn't any real difference.

Thanks
I had good luck with these fog lights that match LED headlights for several months with no problems. Plus, they are plug and play. I bought mine on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/OPT7-5000K-B...=UTF8&qid=1497423178&sr=1-5&keywords=opt7+h11

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
The LEDs I used would not fit in the light housing: the LEDs were significantly bigger than the halogen bulbs. I had to perform some surgical work to remove that soft metal 'cap' that's inside the light housing.

As noted, though, the light output isn't as significant as it could be - essentially the fog lights are useless for anything other than 'more lights' for visibility to other road users, or the cool factor. You can't have the fog lights on without the headlights. I did power up the LED in the housing out of the car, and compare it to the halogen, and it produced a similar beam pattern, with a bit more 'projection' (due to an lensed LED mounted in the end of the bulb). The headlights completely overwhelm whatever light patten the fogs put out, though. You can see a bit more to the left and right of the car, of course.

·
Administrator
2,029 Posts
Actually those bulbs are designed to duplicate the light shaping tech of a normal halogen bulb in a fog light - that's why they are fog light specific... BUT they are only 35 watt bulbs and are not 55 watt as far as rated equivalency goes.
Even the most subtle changes in the filament location, source, or size will change the projected beam. Oh cars equipped with a factory H13 bulb, for example, all it takes is moving the light source a couple of mm away to go from a low beam to a high beam. In addition, these don't have 360 degrees of light scatter due to the LED bulbs needing to be mounted to a surface.

No doubt, these will be closer than any other LEDs out there, but the light source is still not in precisely the same location.

Here are some pictures taken in another car that reviewed these bulbs against halogens. Here, you can clearly see a horizontal calibration and a beam pattern change. To my eyes, they also don't look as bright as the halogens.

While running, the heatsink on those was measured at 170F. On hot days, expect these to lose even more power.

I'm not saying they'll be awful, just be aware that there are some side effects when using LEDs in a housing not specifically designed for them.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I just want the colors to match :)
I believe most 6000K temperature bulbs will match.

These are the bulbs I used, and as you can see, are significantly bigger. They were relatively cheap, though. They match the output from the LED headlight.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Here are some pictures taken in another car that reviewed these bulbs against halogens. Here, you can clearly see a horizontal calibration and a beam pattern change. To my eyes, they also don't look as bright as the halogens.
I'm not saying they'll be awful, just be aware that there are some side effects when using LEDs in a housing not specifically designed for them.
Oh, no doubt they aren't as "bright" as the normal foglight bulb is a 55 watt headlight bulb (unlike the Toyota's we have which I believe is actually the H13).
The Philips LED will work with both mount styles, which is the benefit of it - but the light output is actually going to be less. That's one reason I decided not to go with them. If I did anything, I'd look at the amber version they have available - more for the contrast and better "being seen" aspect as compared to the "seeing" aspect. The actual fog lights on our cars are really more a joke as far as extra lighting goes - but that's also applicable to many vehicles out now. Many people desire a more matching color with their LED/HID headlights, and that's where these come in.

If I was concerned with nighttime vision, I'd be grabbing some nice rally lights to mount and install a switch and relay into the high beam. :D

LED lights/bulbs are nice, but they still haven't - in my opinion - progressed to the point that they can compare with a really good halogen bulb or HID's.
I really wish HID was an option on these cars.

A rally mount like what is in the grill here would be awesome

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'm a sucker for a set of good round auxiliary lights. One of my long-term projects is some rally-style lights placed like that... trying to figure out if the best way is to modify the grill, or make a low-profile bar that would attach to the front tow hook mount. Didn't think to see if the official Abarth rally pieces might somehow be available...

·
Premium Member
2,731 Posts
And this is why we don't have a functioning fog light in the lower middle rear part of our cars. Europeans will laugh and say it was disabled because in North America, we're so dense we use fog lights when there's no need for fog lights, and because of that, the rear one is disabled in our vehicles to keep us from harming ourselves by blinding vehicles behind us. lol I'm not making this up... Google it and you'll see what I'm talking about. But it's all good in the long run. We can use hood lift kits to get rid of the prop rods in our engine bays, but the Europeans can't as their version of the car has this special hood collapse feature for when they're mowing down pedestrians. I'm being a little facetious, but sometimes facts are stranger than fiction.

Reactions: CXXIV
1 - 15 of 15 Posts