Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm reading that changing the oil on our cars can be a somewhat testing experience. The oil pan plug faces to the
Front and spills oil all over some steering parts...and to completely get the oil out, you need to jack and lower car
Several times.
So what do you guys think of this oil pan valve. Would this make it easier or would I be installing a weak
Link on my oil pan that could accidentally open at some point
Thanks
Cyberbill, Austin Texas

https://www.fumotooildrainvalve.com/f106s-fumoto-valve-with-short-nipple-for-14mm-15-thread-size.html

·
Super Moderator
948 Posts
That valve is a common swap on commercial vehicles, and I would have installed one on my previous car (Miata) if I had kept it. (I had a $900 oil change as the result of having the original plug cross-threaded and then replacing the pan.)
I can't comment on the convenience on our cars. IMO the pan is a stupid design and if you can ease the nuisance with the valve I think it's worthwhile. It goof-proofs the drain plug issue.
regards
Pete

·
Registered
958 Posts
It looks like it has a lock (that black piece with their logo on it), so I would think it would remain secure until you want to drain it. One concern I would have is can you get your hand in there and hold the valve open for the full duration without having to go to a chiropractor afterwards?

Since my dealer only charged me $13 to change my oil and filter, I really would not be interested in trying that.

·
Vendor
3,099 Posts
It looks like it has a lock (that black piece with their logo on it), so I would think it would remain secure until you want to drain it. One concern I would have is can you get your hand in there and hold the valve open for the full duration without having to go to a chiropractor afterwards?

Since my dealer only charged me $13 to change my oil and filter, I really would not be interested in trying that.
Yes, but your dealer probably didn't remove the drain plug. They often suck out the oil from the top.

The problem I have with oil changes on this car is all the time it takes to remove the cover plate underneath the oil pan. That thing is held on by a lot of bolts, I don't remember how many, but it's like 10 of them. Adding a lever actuated drain really wouldn't save much time here because removing 11 bolts vs. 10 just isn't that much difference.

Greg

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It has a hose you put in your two gallon can....

Yes, but your dealer probably didn't remove the drain plug. They often suck out the oil from the top.

The problem I have with oil changes on this car is all the time it takes to remove the cover plate underneath the oil pan. That thing is held on by a lot of bolts, I don't remember how many, but it's like 10 of them. Adding a lever actuated drain really wouldn't save much time here because removing 11 bolts vs. 10 just isn't that much difference.

Greg
Hi Greg... it's not removing the bolt that bothers me...it's the oil hitting the steering controls and going all over. With this device, you can attach a long clear plastic hose that can run down direct to you pan or two gallon can, since this car only wholes four quarts, one gallon. I believe it would probably cut down on the probability on a big mess. What you think?
Thanks. Bill

·
Vendor
3,099 Posts
Hi Greg... it's not removing the bolt that bothers me...it's the oil hitting the steering controls and going all over.
That's part of Fiat's rust preventative design. Those steering controls will never rust away. ;)

With this device, you can attach a long clear plastic hose that can run down direct to you pan or two gallon can, since this car only wholes four quarts, one gallon. I believe it would probably cut down on the probability on a big mess. What you think?
Thanks. Bill
That's a fair point, I usually just put a piece of cardboard in there to guide the oil to where I want it, but I agree that the tube and valve method would be nicer.

Greg

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Draining oil from my Yamaha FJR motorcycle can be a similarly, yet less labor intensive, messy experience when replacing the oil filter. Aluminum foil can be your friend. I fold a piece of foil over itself to make it a bit stronger, then cover those areas where oil will drain over other parts. I also shape the foil a bit to encourage where the oil should run. If needed, use a bit of duct tape to hold the foil in position. After draining, dispose of the foil. (Heck, rag off most of the oil from the foil and put it in the recycling bin.)

Steve.

·
Registered
676 Posts

Greg
My cheap ass Kia Soul is fully enclosed underneath, but has two little access "doors" one for the drain plug and one for the filter. They snap off and on, yes everything is plastic. Is the Spider cover plate (aluminum)
somehow considered structural?

C'mon, Greg, "all the time it takes to remove the cover plate"? Really? My buddy Dewalt and I do it in less than a couple of minutes......but then again I'm not doing this on my back....

·
Registered
958 Posts

Greg
According to the Fiat service manual, the standard procedure for changing the oil and filter (they did both) is to remove the belly pan and remove the drain plug. They should not have sucked it out. Before the next oil change, I will check with them to make sure they are following the procedure outlined in the manual.

I think the $13 labor for an oil change is part of the package deal on the purchase of the car.

·
Vendor
3,099 Posts
C'mon, Greg, "all the time it takes to remove the cover plate"? Really? My buddy Dewalt and I do it in less than a couple of minutes......but then again I'm not doing this on my back....
That's a couple minutes you will never get back! Plus some of us are still using regular old fashioned ratchets, which take longer.

Greg

·
Vendor
3,099 Posts
According to the Fiat service manual, the standard procedure for changing the oil and filter (they did both) is to remove the belly pan and remove the drain plug. .
That's true with other cars as well, still, they often use the suction method, which works, but it doesn't get out all the junk at the bottom of the pan so I don't like it, and I especially don't like it on a water injected vehicle, which isn't an issue on the 124, but at some point it might be.

Greg

·
Registered
958 Posts
That's true with other cars as well, still, they often use the suction method, which works, but it doesn't get out all the junk at the bottom of the pan so I don't like it, and I especially don't like it on a water injected vehicle, which isn't an issue on the 124, but at some point it might be.

Greg
Greg,

Doesn't it stand to reason that if they are pulling to pan off to get to the filter that they would drain the oil from the sump?

·
Registered
669 Posts
My 2 cents after researching this subject:

1. Sludge and such at at the bottom of the oil pan is mostly myth on newer cars. Between higher manufacturing quality, and using an oil filter, the filter captures almost all of it.
2. Yes, using the plug will in most cases remove more oil. But if extraction is being used there is still not much left.
3. True, if you have to lift the car for the oil filter you might as well use the plug. But in these cars you change the filter from the top.

For me personally, if I don't need to lift the car and can do a oil and filter change from the top, I am much more likely to do it more often....period

So doing more oil changes seems better. Doing it my self seems better and lower risk.

The extractors that use compressed air are not very expensive. Sure I will be slammed now.

·
Registered
958 Posts
The filter is accessed from above.
If the oil filter is accessed from above, why does the service manual say to remove the belly pan first? Is it because there will be oil running out on to the pan when the oil filter cover is removed? If so, they need to remove the belly pan to avoid a mess.

·
Registered
257 Posts
If the oil filter is accessed from above, why does the service manual say to remove the belly pan first? Is it because there will be oil running out on to the pan when the oil filter cover is removed? If so, they need to remove the belly pan to avoid a mess.
I could definitely see some oil running down if a person wasn't too careful. But maybe they just didn't properly proof read the service manual. It does sound like it was rushed to print since you mentioned they didn't even know where the jack points on the car should be. All I know for sure is that I'm going to remove that entire panel only once and install a little access panel for the drain plug when I do my first oil change. After that, an oil change should be relatively painless.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
iamz, that is a good point and an excellent idea. Why didn't the factory just install a small access panel? And really, other than meeting CAFE standards to get another fraction percent fuel economy, what purpose does this panel have, anyway? Why can't it just be left off?

Hey, do you suppose you could show photos of your access panel project? I bet lots of folks would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Steve.

·
Registered
676 Posts
iamz, that is a good point and an excellent idea. Why didn't the factory just install a small access panel? And really, other than meeting CAFE standards to get another fraction percent fuel economy, what purpose does this panel have, anyway? Why can't it just be left off?

Hey, do you suppose you could show photos of your access panel project? I bet lots of folks would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Steve.
The panel is there to keep road hazard/debris away from the engines belly/rotating assemblies. I'd keep it in place. Remember, the engineers "probably" know a little more than us!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts