Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Firstly, my sincere thanks to anyone who responds to one or more of my questions. My knowledge of car mechanics is limited to adding gas and oil.
(1) I am thinking that a voltage meter in the cockpit would help me anticipate problems with my battery, coil, and alternator and that it would be a good idea. It seems to me I had one in my MG-B all those many years ago. Is it a good idea? Also, if so, is there a particular kind of shop where I can have one professionally installed? (2) If I was having one gauge installed anyway, I thought an engine oil temp gauge might be a way to anticipate problems (like an oil leak) with the engine. Is that something worth having? (3) I see that the Spider has two quarts in the manual transmission but the service schedule never mentions checking or changing that oil. Is it really good to ignore it for the life of the car? (4) Does the differential oil ever need any maintenance? Again, thanks a lot for any responses.

·
Registered
351 Posts
The on-board diagnostics will keep track of all that stuff for you. Check the oil level occasionally, particularly as the car gets older and top off between changes as necessary. Under normal use, the oil in the transmission and differential might need to be changed every 50,000 miles or so. That's about it.

If you cut your teeth on an MG I understand your concerns, though. :)

·
Registered
575 Posts
Hey !

A voltage gauge is definitely extremely helpful and great to have in the car.

To tell if there is a leak in the system for the oil, an oil pressure gauge would seem like the better choice. If you're losing pressure, there's a leak somewhere.

The manual transmission fluid, most manufacturers recommend changing between 30,000 and 60,000 miles. Not completely sure when these should be though as my experience with them are of course lacking.

The differential oil I would expect to be checked by the dealers to see the level upon service intervals.

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
It has Japanese electrics Stewie...not an MGB's electrics by "Lucas Prince of Darkness". :)

Reactions: racergary

·
Registered
958 Posts
It has Japanese electrics Stewie...not an MGB's electrics by "Lucas Prince of Darkness". :)
The idiot lights are more apt to catch your eye if there is a problem. The computer is monitoring a whole lot of stuff that will alert you before you would notice. The idea that an oil pressure problem will be indicated by an oil leak is misleading. You could have a full on oil pump failure and never see a drop of oil on the ground. Check your oil once a week. If there is significant oil discoloration, change in viscosity or decrease in the oil level, take it in. You don't need an oil pressure gauge unless you are racing it. On the electrical side, RBH58 is correct. I had a '58 MGA and constantly had to fiddle with it. The well proven Mazda/Fiat computer is watching everything and will alert you if there is a problem, again, as long as you are not driving competitively. >:)

·
Vendor
3,336 Posts
Firstly, my sincere thanks to anyone who responds to one or more of my questions. My knowledge of car mechanics is limited to adding gas and oil.
(1) I am thinking that a voltage meter in the cockpit would help me anticipate problems with my battery, coil, and alternator and that it would be a good idea.
I haven't seen, or even heard of a failed alternator with a Fiat 1.4T. They are very good. The car doesn't have a coil, so that's not an issue (it has 4 individual coil packs instead).

It seems to me I had one in my MG-B all those many years ago. Is it a good idea? Also, if so, is there a particular kind of shop where I can have one professionally installed? (2) If I was having one gauge installed anyway, I thought an engine oil temp gauge might be a way to anticipate problems (like an oil leak) with the engine. Is that something worth having? (3) I see that the Spider has two quarts in the manual transmission but the service schedule never mentions checking or changing that oil. Is it really good to ignore it for the life of the car? (4) Does the differential oil ever need any maintenance? Again, thanks a lot for any responses.
The single most useful gauge to have in this car is a boost gauge.

Greg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts