Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! For Wheel Drift here from Atlanta. I have been trolling around the great threads of 124Spider.org for the last few years which has led me to the Most beautiful new white 124 Spider Abarth. I have been a Miata guy sense the day my dad bought home that bright red new ‘91 miata when I was 16(yes I’m old) and have owned many of them over the years. I have also tried many other high performance cars over the years including a 260z, a 944S, a Vette, a S2000 and a ZL1, but I always seem to have more fun pulling gears and ringing out the miatas, so I keep coming back to them. My driving started off with many spirited drives in the North Georgia mountains in dad’s miata and after UGA( Go Dawgs!) I started Autocrossing my beater 944S and now a days I do 8-10 track events a year in either my track built BRG at AMP or the ZL1 at Road Atl. I recently sold the ZL1 cause the thing is just not my style of driving and it eats brakes and tires. It was a blast, but I missed those spirited drives in the mountains ringing out gears with the top down. The ZL1 is just too fast for the public roads the way I like to drive. Time for a new fun car! I was super excited about the 2019 Miata Club and the new “perfect motor“, so I went on a few test drives to get the vibe, but I just never really felt the connection. The steering was too light, the sound was too buzzy, the looks were too bland to my eye and I worried about driving it hard because of the transmission. I could have learned to love it I’m sure, but if I‘m going to buy a new fun car why not buy one you love at first sight/drive. Enter the Abarth. I had always followed the Italian kissing cousin of the Miata the 124 Spider Abarth and really loved the looks of the car, so after looking around I found a dealership in the mountains and went on the most glorious test drive!!! The car looked fantastic in white with red trim, the steering had proper weight, the turbo was a blast to push hard in sport mode, the Recaro seats are just about perfect, and the car made some really fun noises! I had found my new fun car, so now let the negotiations begin. Well, need less to say I walked out of there with a REALLY great deal compared to the Club and I felt like I got the much better car! I have now done several long spirited drives and have just fell head over heels in love with this little car. I have been reading up on all of the mods available for the 124 and once I get it broken in proper will be looking forward to a gradual street/light track build. 124Spider.org has been a wonderful resource for me as a potential owner and I look forward to relying on everyone’s collective knowledge now as an owner. I only hope I can somehow give back a little to this community and contribute to what seems to be a really dedicated group of enthusiast!

Many Slides,

For Wheel Drift

·
Registered
8 Posts
Fellow ATL Abarth owner here. Congrats!
Would love to get a group together for some N GA weekend drives.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey GTjacket02, that sounds like a great idea. I would love to get a group up and head to the mountains for a drive.

Also, I was checking out your sig and I would love to check out your car as well. Seems you have most of the mods I would like to apply. Well, the first round anyway....

·
Premium Member
1,139 Posts
Hi and welcome to our "Cult"....Like the story, many of us share. Love at first sight is where it's at, I was off to test the "Ugly Frog" (ND RF) having owned and loved two NB's over 5 yrs and almost fell over my Spider (Classica) as I crossed the garage forecourt, took a walk around it, looked back at it, sat in the ND then returned to the Spider, phew, nobody had bought it yet (hundreds of cars on site mind). 30 mile test drive, but had already decided, basic Sports car that I could adapt to be my own. The "Abarth" ....Never liked it.too aggressive and expensive, never seen one in person STILL...then I saw "Aldo's" RED one on here.......Now, I like "Abarth".
Sounds like you are made for this forum, we can all help you spend money on kit that will actually enhance your ride....
Cheers
ron

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Brexit! I look forward to someone else helping me spend my money other than the wife and kids! Modding my cars is half the fun and actually seeing results sounds very rewarding.

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Spider Abarth Custom
1,659 Posts
new ‘91 miata when I was 16(yes I’m old)
You, Old? HAHAHAHAHA The overwhelming majority here is 50-70s. This is an old people car! Most of us don't act like it though, especially me!

By 91, I had already seen the Berlin Wall come down while in country to end the Cold War and had just returned home from the Middle East for Operation Desert Shield and Storm.

Welcome aboard and enjoy the ride!

Get off my crushed granite, desert landscaping.... Too hot to rake the footprints out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the warm welcome Calehedron! I’m usually one of the older guys with the track groups I run with. Glad to hear I have found an age appropriate group that loves little fast cars.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Don't listen to Caheldron! We are all 18 here, but lucky enough to spend money like proper grown ups! Looking forward to helping you spend your $$$! Welcome.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Welcome to the group, Do not consider yourself old. Be spirited as most of the guys on the group. Don't count me I'm not of the youngest but I feel like part of the group.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the welcomes hefbadr and Jesus Santa. I agree, old is a state of mind. Now if I could just get my back and knees on the same page.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts