Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
425 Posts
The last paragraph is exactly what I think. Although adding the Navigation for $120 works for me. BTW, the Navigation is great! Selecting no freeways or tolls with the "Shortest" (distance, not time) had it picking out sensational roads on my ride through PA that I would have never found on my own. Most of the GPS units I have used, limit their selections to the major secondary roads. This thing, in shortest path mode even selected township roads some of which were the best of the ride. Also, if you see something tantalizing, just head in that direction. Instead of just telling you to "execute a U-turn" after a mile or two it simply finds you another way that includes your road and then some! Fantastic.
Only drawback is I did not tell to "allow unpaved roads" and it did choose one or two of those. I simply declined to take them and it quickly found another interesting route.

Attachments

·
Banned
425 Posts
P.S. Meanwhile, Fakenews consumer reports which named the Miata a ten best, reviewed the 124 and gave it mediocre scores complaining about the ride, (everyone knows is better than the Miata), noise (everyone knows is better than the Miata) and tight quarters. (Identical to the Miata). They like that higher trims come with a rear view camera. LOL!

·
Registered
105 Posts
That last paragraph…

“Personally, I’d keep the brakes but lose the $4,000 option package with the leather, navigation, premium audio and a few other non-essential features. With a car like this, who cares if you get lost along the way? Just more reason to keep driving, and the engine makes a more wonderful soundtrack than anything you’d play on the stereo anyway.”

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
While the blind spot, cross-path detection, rear camera, etc. may seem like a luxury, The rear visibility isn't as great as you'd think (much better than a lot of cars, of course). Also, cross-path detection has saved me from even a close call a couple of times. While yes, these can be non-essential, so are electric windows...

·
Banned
425 Posts
While the blind spot, cross-path detection, rear camera, etc. may seem like a luxury, The rear visibility isn't as great as you'd think (much better than a lot of cars, of course). Also, cross-path detection has saved me from even a close call a couple of times. While yes, these can be non-essential, so are electric windows...
The safety and convenience collection is different (and only 1500) than the luxury package ($4000). I agree with you about the power windows except it remembers to always lower them when raising or lowering the top. I would forget for sure.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
The safety and convenience collection is different (and only 1500) than the luxury package ($4000). I agree with you about the power windows except it remembers to always lower them when raising or lowering the top. I would forget for sure.
So, I actually looked at the difference between the two packages (never really looked, because I wanted Bose). So really it's $2500 difference if you consider the safety package as 'essential'. If you ditch $4k you are also ditching the safety package.

Basically, the reviewer, like most car reviewers just aren't very good. Indeed, almost any modern car doesn't suck, and you get what you pay for - so any review is what the reviewer likes and dislikes. (A good reason Top Gear is popular because it isn't a car review show). In this case the review comment to ditch the $4k is telling the consumer what they should like and not like (And yes, I noticed the weasel word, 'personally').

[**** this review is annoying me now...]

·
Registered
588 Posts
I actually did what he said and only optioned the Brembo, except I also got the Recaros. Manual. No other options. That was hard to find.

·
Banned
425 Posts
So, I actually looked at the difference between the two packages (never really looked, because I wanted Bose). So really it's $2500 difference if you consider the safety package as 'essential'. If you ditch $4k you are also ditching the safety package.

Basically, the reviewer, like most car reviewers just aren't very good. Indeed, almost any modern car doesn't suck, and you get what you pay for - so any review is what the reviewer likes and dislikes. (A good reason Top Gear is popular because it isn't a car review show). In this case the review comment to ditch the $4k is telling the consumer what they should like and not like (And yes, I noticed the weasel word, 'personally').

[**** this review is annoying me now...]
I could be wrong, but I keep looking at the FCAUSA website and the luxury package is listed as $3995 and the Safety and Comfort package is listed as $1495. I agree that reviewers are not scientists and reviews generally have personal opinions included. I think he indicated that it was just his opinion, just as what is "essential" would vary by person.
Consumer Reports which claims scientific, unbiased reviews selected the Miata as a "ten best" and then gave the FIAT a mediocre score citing "cabin noise" (better than Miata), and "ride" (better than Miata) and "cabin space" (Identical to Miata) Go figure?

Reactions: MBrown1003

·
Vendor
3,662 Posts
I am really tired of the press calling this car a Miata. They never refer to the Dodge Charger as an old E class Mercedes.

Greg

·
Registered
296 Posts
let's look at dumb reviews.

Fiat 124.. 6.6 / 10
http://www.thecarconnection.com/overview/fiat_124-spyder_2017
Styling 7.0
Performance 8.0
Comfort & Quality 5.0 -> http://www.thecarconnection.com/review/1104454_2017-fiat-124-spider_quality_4 (read this review, and try to figure out how the Fiat 124 lost 3 points over miata..)
Safety N/A (new car)
Features 5.0 http://www.thecarconnection.com/review/1104454_2017-fiat-124-spider_features_6 (Same here. read this. So somehow Miata had all the great features, and fiat missed the mark.. )
Fuel Economy 8.0
-----------
Mazda MX-5 Miata 8.2/10
http://www.thecarconnection.com/overview/mazda_mx-5-miata_2016
Styling 9.0
Performance 9.0
Comfort & Quality 8.0
Safety 7.0
Features 8.0
Fuel Economy 7.0

-----------

I did send a complaint about the major differences in the two areas I highlighted.
What a joke to give such different scores in areas where the cars are nearly identical. (comfort/quality + Features)

·
Registered
673 Posts
P.S. Meanwhile, Fakenews consumer reports which named the Miata a ten best, reviewed the 124 and gave it mediocre scores complaining about the ride, (everyone knows is better than the Miata), noise (everyone knows is better than the Miata) and tight quarters. (Identical to the Miata). They like that higher trims come with a rear view camera. LOL!
When I read the Consumer Reports review, I got a sense that the reviewer had never actually been in the car. It was as if they had read a few negative reviews then wrote their own.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Reviews are subjective; every review I see, either the reviewer has an opinion about the miata, or not. In the first case, they are pretty harsh comparing the 2 cars, but often if they like the miata, they say that the 124 is just a variant. It is very personal; 50% of how do you feel about a car is coming from the driving experience after all.

I don't see why people should only say good things about this car; it is far from perfect; and the style is either your thing or not (some say the miata look like a toy, or a ricer car; others say that the 124 is a hairdresser posh car; it depends from what you like, what you drive, what you associate with a car shape and style). I welcome negative reviews, as long as they are not driven by the fact that the reviewer like more the miata and bash the "opposition".

For the extra 4K, I agree that it is mostly non-essential stuff. I used to drive a 911 from the 80s, until my switch to the 124, and while I appreciate the extra tech; I am content with the cheapest extras package, mainly because I like the rear parking sensors and camera. LED Lights make no difference for me, same for the premium sound system, since with top down, it sucks anyway :) I would go for a different sport car, if I was interested in extras, to be honest. The 124 comfort package is totally worth the 1400 dollars that you pay.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Reviews are subjective; every review I see, either the reviewer has an opinion about the miata, or not. In the first case, they are pretty harsh comparing the 2 cars, but often if they like the miata, they say that the 124 is just a variant. It is very personal; 50% of how do you feel about a car is coming from the driving experience after all.

I don't see why people should only say good things about this car; it is far from perfect; and the style is either your thing or not (some say the miata look like a toy, or a ricer car; others say that the 124 is a hairdresser posh car; it depends from what you like, what you drive, what you associate with a car shape and style). I welcome negative reviews, as long as they are not driven by the fact that the reviewer like more the miata and bash the "opposition".

For the extra 4K, I agree that it is mostly non-essential stuff. I used to drive a 911 from the 80s, until my switch to the 124, and while I appreciate the extra tech; I am content with the cheapest extras package, mainly because I like the rear parking sensors and camera. LED Lights make no difference for me, same for the premium sound system, since with top down, it sucks anyway :) I would go for a different sport car, if I was interested in extras, to be honest. The 124 comfort package is totally worth the 1400 dollars that you pay.

I agree with you. My issue with the car connection review is that the specific categories of comfort and features are not the primary differentiators on the cars...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts